X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I’m very happy with the Acorn. My next choice would be Linux CNC with an Ethernet BoB, but have zero experience with that system. Once I get rid of my Bridgeport, I’ll have room to work.
    I have a large knee mill retrofitted with the Centroid 4 axis all-in-one card rather than Acorn. That made me love Centroid controls. The Acorn with Clearpath servos will give me the same capabilities in a smaller machine. A lathe I have has DC servos already mounted and because of clearance issues those motors would be hard to replace. So I'm thinking LinuxCNC for the lathe, but so far I haven't found step by step Linux conversion info (it's probably out there somewhere I haven't found it yet though).

As far as these retrofits go I'm not interested in learning experiences. I just want "buy this and hook the blue wire to terminal 1" type stuff. I have more money than time so with Clearpath servos's I'll buy all the premade cables, etc rather making my own.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by DR View Post
    As I mentioned previously I'm about to go with the Acorn system. So far I've think I've found more useful information via Google, mostly links to YouTube videos.
    I’m very happy with the Acorn. My next choice would be Linux CNC with an Ethernet BoB, but have zero experience with that system. Once I get rid of my Bridgeport, I’ll have room to work.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    As I wrote before, I am happy so far with the Acorn and software itself. It is the attitude of Centroid and their representatives that leaves a lot to be desired. I thought Keith was smarter than he demonstrating. Too bad. The first thing they need to do is get their help videos and downloads organized so that a person can find what they need without having to post questions on the forum. It makes no difference to me and I sure as hell am not going to educate them. They couldn't afford me!

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    As I mentioned previously I'm about to go with the Acorn system. So far I've think I've found more useful information via Google, mostly links to YouTube videos.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied

I ran into that when I suggested they made a version of their new probe have integral 3/4” shank for TTS users to save Z height. They kind of invited the unwashed populace into the castle with their Acorn.
    I resent that remark about the unwashed! I take showers at least once a month.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

I have wired many things in my life. I can program a PLC in my sleep and connect all that is needed to the PLC. I can program in multiple computer languages. I also wired the light in my daughters bedroom all by myself. Following instructions is not a problem if the instructions are available. Having been licensed to fly Helicopters and jets in my life I think I am technically able. My beef with Centroid is their condescending attitude towards their customers.
    I ran into that when I suggested they made a version of their new probe have integral 3/4” shank for TTS users to save Z height. They kind of invited the unwashed populace into the castle with their Acorn.

Leave a comment:

• genea
    replied

Thanks, it did indeed.
    It's interesting to me that a 3 character search works on the phpBB software used on the Acorn forum but not here using the vBulletin software. I assumed that it didn't work anywhere. I guess I've only tried it on vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Go into the advance search and it will show you how to do searches that match your inquiry exactly.
    Thanks, it did indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I'm about to dive into an Acorn conversion. Looking at the Acorn forum I was a little disappointed by the search function. My machine to be converted is an Emco F1P, with the "P" meaning production. So I searched for "Emco F1P" in quotes assuming that would bring up only topics with that exact sequence of letters between the quotes. At least, that's the way it works on a good many forum searches.

Instead it brought up every post with the word "Emco" in it. That was a lot of hits, most of which were of no interest to me. Never did find anything on the F1P model.

The intention of my search was to find what size axis motors the F1P mills use and are they a standard like a NEMA 23.. By Googling I did find a partial answer to my question. A Youtube video showed an F1P converted, no details though. In the follow op to the video there was a question about the motors, they may be NEMA 23 except with 6mm shafts instead of 6.35mm (1/4") which is standard on a NEMA 23.
    Go into the advance search and it will show you how to do searches that match your inquiry exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I

If you go DIY, there is an expectation that you aren’t an idiot, can diagnose issues, speak at a technical level, understand at a technical level, and apply properly at a very technical level.
    I’m not calling anyone here an idiot, I actually view this forum as the “brain trust”, where the smart people hang out.
    I have wired many things in my life. I can program a PLC in my sleep and connect all that is needed to the PLC. I can program in multiple computer languages. I also wired the light in my daughters bedroom all by myself. Following instructions is not a problem if the instructions are available. Having been licensed to fly Helicopters and jets in my life I think I am technically able. My beef with Centroid is their condescending attitude towards their customers.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I'm about to dive into an Acorn conversion. Looking at the Acorn forum I was a little disappointed by the search function. My machine to be converted is an Emco F1P, with the "P" meaning production. So I searched for "Emco F1P" in quotes assuming that would bring up only topics with that exact sequence of letters between the quotes. At least, that's the way it works on a good many forum searches.

Instead it brought up every post with the word "Emco" in it. That was a lot of hits, most of which were of no interest to me. Never did find anything on the F1P model.

The intention of my search was to find what size axis motors the F1P mills use and are they a standard like a NEMA 23.. By Googling I did find a partial answer to my question. A Youtube video showed an F1P converted, no details though. In the follow op to the video there was a question about the motors, they may be NEMA 23 except with 6mm shafts instead of 6.35mm (1/4") which is standard on a NEMA 23.
    Marty does a lot of conversions, you should post your question on that forum, either Marty or Keith will chime in, especially if it helps them sell you an Acorn or better.

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Well, 0 to 10V is standard on nearly every VFD that I have messed with or read the manual for. That "should" be about as easy as it is possible to get.... connect it where the pot goes.... just get the (two) wires on the right screws.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Go on over to PM and ask about one of those. Better yet, ask how to fix it ! 😏🤔

It IS pretty down and dirty stupid to be mad at a completely different company and product over one of those. The only excuse I can think of is if there is a spindle speed control output on the system, which I would have to assume there is, and something about THAT was the real problem.

I myself will give advice on VFDs, which I happen to know a bit about, but NOT on one of those chinese ones. Too many of the ebay units are ones that seem to have been taken from the "failed test" pile, and sold out the side door of the factory.
    Acorn does put out an analog 0 to 10v or 0 to 5v signal to control speed for a VFD. None the less he should get his VFD to motor working with just the VFD front panel before ever dicking with remote control. I told him as much. At least convinced him to stop bashing the wrong party.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    ................... with one jack ass who couldn’t get his cheap Chinese VFD to work with his spindle motor and was cursing Centroid over it. ...................
    Go on over to PM and ask about one of those. Better yet, ask how to fix it ! 😏🤔

It IS pretty down and dirty stupid to be mad at a completely different company and product over one of those. The only excuse I can think of is if there is a spindle speed control output on the system, which I would have to assume there is, and something about THAT was the real problem.

I myself will give advice on VFDs, which I happen to know a bit about, but NOT on one of those chinese ones. Too many of the ebay units are ones that seem to have been taken from the "failed test" pile, and sold out the side door of the factory.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-26-2022, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X