Disscussion of Centroid support forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disscussion of Centroid support forum

How many of you on here are using Centroid's controllers? Lets start there.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I have some real misgivings on the attitude of the forum over there. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there but they sure get their panties in a wad a lot of the time.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The incredible part is I was the one that brought them here.

Comment

Been running Centroid servo controller long before the Acorn hobbyist stuff.

Marty can be a bit cranky, but he just wants to help. Others are machining geniuses. Just get the info you need and let the BS roll off your back. There are some good helpful folks there.

Comment

The problem I see is people that don't know enough to even know what questions to ask get hammered. After all it is a hobbyist board the Acorn. So new people to the DIY CNC world are going to ask some questions that might seem so obvious to the seasoned users. Those folks get pissed on over there. I asked a question but because I didn't post a report they wouldn't respond. A report would not have been of any use in answering my question. My Acorn wasn't hooked up and no software installed. Not all of us are idiots and some of us can make informed decisions as to what is pertinent. As some of you on here know I don't pull my punches and Marty has pissed off the wrong guy.

Comment

The guys over there are Johnny-on-the-spot if you have a question about the actual board or software, if you format the question properly and give them every single detail first.

But if you have a question about actually using the software- IE, how to "write" a part- or other obvious-noob questions? They're only slightly more helpful than the PM guys, and that's not saying much.

I've gotten several responses- from both places- that basically say "come back after you've learned something".

That's why I'm asking these questions!! I'm TRYING to learn something, you pinhead!

[/rant]

A couple things to keep in mind: The Centroid manual is pretty much always out of date, being at least one generation behind the software, and there's known errors in there that nobody seems to worry too much about fixing, and the thing was written in the first place for experienced CNC engineers.

Keep in mind that prior to the Acorn, Centroid's product was retrofit kits for high-dollar professional machines, to be used by professional shops. The manual is not really meant to teach the home-shop DIY'er, it's just meant to occasionally remind the guy that already has 20 years of experience, the occasional detail about this code or that button.

Honestly? I learned a LOT more from my Omniturn manual than I did from the Centroid.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

So, who is this "Marty"? I used to know a Marty on other forums, and I had understood he went over to the CNC forums. That guy was an OK fellow. Wonder if it's the same guy and he changed....

Forgot his full name, but he was down in Arizona or NM, as I recall.
              4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

This is Marty. Yes, he is in Arizona.
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTN...k5HNwnjzer6GVQ

He makes instructional videos for Centroid products, and I am sure he gets compensated.

He really is a good guy, but he doesn't understand the problem in many instances and he is always the first on shouting to "post a report" even when a report would not help out at all answering the question. I don't normally visit the Acorn subforum, but he has pissed off a few people in the servo subforum. He pissed me off once and I gave it right back to him. My Centroid KP-3 probe was sticking so of course he accuses me of crashing it, which did not happen.

Comment

Still not certain, since it has been a while. But the guy I am thinking of started out on the Atlas lathe forum 20+ years ago. If he's the same guy, his last name is Escarcega (that took a bit of memory dredging).
                  4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Lol - we have 3 centroid controlled machines at work. I don't normally have to deal with them - they 'just work' and the guys seem to like them (they bought 3). One is older - linux based - the other 2 are windows. I can usually find the info online without having to actually ask a question.

funny thing - The cad station finally died that they used to create dxf files (old 2000 machine running acad 2000). The controls have shared drives to drop files to. The linux based one - I didn't know the default user name and password to connect...

Want to guess?
                    root and centroid. I should probably change that.

It sucks having to deal with this kind of support. (your not the only one that I have heard complain about the forum)

sam

Comment

On the manual, as noted, the Centroid one is basically written for engineers- people who already intuitively know terms like VCP and don't have to check a chart to see which direction X- is.

The Omniturn manual is written more... colloquially, I guess. It's not a "for dummies" version, but one of the best parts about it is it actually explains why some things are done that way. And not in a long-drawn-out technobabble way, but in what you might call "plain language".

I would LOVE to see a Centroid manual written that way, and it would, in my opinion, make the Acorn kit a LOT more attractive to the DIY'er.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Yes you definitely have to know a lot about the CNC world to be able to read the manual. My simple question I post that was ignored by the "guru's" was on how to wire my particular motor drive to the DB25 connector on the Acorn board. I posted the manual to the drive in the first post with my question. They ignored it at first and then someone from Centroid posted a wiring diagram for a similar drive. It worked with that wiring diagram. The help section with the list of drive/motors is not organized well at all. I was opening and closing dozens of .pdf files looking for the info I needed. They need to hire someone to write the manual that doesn't have any CNC experience. That person would include things that a more experienced CNC'er would skip over. They need a generic list of wiring diagrams for drives. A start here type of listing. What they have now is a brand listing which is good if you buy one of those brands. If you buy something else you are on your own. Point in fact now that I know how to wire up my drives and understand the logic in how the pulse direction signals get used by the drive I could probably buy another unknown drive and get it wired up with no problem. BUT I would have to know that first and Centroid doesn't help at all with that first step. The information is all there on the help section in videos and manuals for drives but you have to ALREADY know it to find it. A very illogical system at best. It lends new meaning to the DIY concept. You have to do it yourself not get help from the forum.

Comment

There is one member that is very smart and helpful in a good way. He doesn't belittle the members and often has to correct Marty or some of the others in what they post. He goes by CNCSNW. He is the go to guy for real help. If I ever need any help in the future I will pay him to help me. He gives straightforward answers with out any attitude. He is a professional.
                          He often has to correct the help the others give especially in matters of tool setup, macros and G-code related things.

By my calculations Centroid has sold over 2,000,000 million dollars worth of Acorn boards alone. One might think they would be a little more interested in keeping their users happy. They should invest more in writing better how-to's and manuals. Get the members on the board that are representing Centroid to leave their attitude off the board. Keith needs to step up more. He needs to have a sit down with his representatives an remind them to take their Zanex before answering questions. Marty says he is a volunteer but I don't think that is 100% accurate. Could be and therefor he thinks he is entitled to ridicule the new members because he is donating his valuable time for the good of the cause. Before Acorn was ever released I told Keith on the phone that support would be difficult for this product and he should prepare for that scenario. I don't go by the saying the customer is always right but at least give them a chance.
                          Last edited by Black Forest; 01-26-2022, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Yes, Marty's last name is Escarcega. He might be a "volunteer" , but I believe that the Centroid hardware is free to him in exchange for his how to videos. And this does not just include the inexpensive Acorn, but also the AllinOne and the Oak which are pricey.

Keith can be a little wise ass sometimes.

CNCSNW is the smartest guy on the board. His name is Marc. He has been a Centroid technician and PLC programmer for 30 years, though he does not work for the company. I had him customize my PLC program and he was fast and extremely reasonably priced. His rate is $60 per hour and he charges in 10 minute increments.

I almost never go to the Acorn subforum but rather only the servo subforum. Not as many egos there.

There are also several Centroid groups on Facebook. The "official" Centroid Facebook group almost always points you to the Centroid forum for help.

Users can find pretty much all the info they need to get going, but they are too lazy and want the info instantly. There are lots of videos out there and if a user spends some time reading related posts on the forum they can get the knowledge. It is often easier for new users to post a question instead of doing their own research.
                            Last edited by polaraligned; 01-26-2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

There is a thread going on now with a man that is converting from a Flashcut system he got from Dave Cau???? the man behind Fadal milling machines. It is a small version mill that Dave was playing around building in his retirement. Marty is playing all nice with this man on the forum and not one report has been posted. Marty has even looked up the manuals for some of the drives and such and pointed the man in the right direction. All that would be fine except Marty is representing Centroid on the forum. He is a moderator. Marty deleted my posts calling him out on hammering one man that posted without a report. They are making money integrating Centroid systems on machines. There is a ahat named Gary Campbell that sells Centroid control boxes that is a total puke. He is just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous. CNCSNW is often correcting the advice Gary gives.

Comment

Working...
                              X