Stark lathe support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stark lathe support

Good evening. Looking at purchasing a Stark #4 lathe. Been told it uses S4 collets are there any alternates that will work? Or does anyone have a set they will sell! What would be a fair price! It looks like it has never been used. Any info would be great.

First off, welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the lathe so I looked it up on lathes.uk site. http://www.lathes.co.uk/stark/

From what I am seeing the “standard” collet would have been marked 4s. Based on the site, they increased collet capacity at some point and it appears that spindles could be ordered with a different taper if it suited the customers needs.

I guess first would be to try and confirm what grind spindle you have.

If you can’t find any collets for your spindle you may be able to get it re-ground for available collets. Either directly into the spindle like original or have it ground to a standard taper and use an adapter for collets.

edited for auto-correct spelling and added link.
    Last edited by oxford; 01-27-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Has to be someone out there just itching to unload some old collets.

Comment

You do do watchmaker style work, correct?
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I do work on clocks but not just that! I fix thinks l restore anything vintage from clocks to woodworking machines to restoration of hand tools. Always making something custom, l know this Lathe is small but my shop is as well. And it’s old that what’s drawn me to it. It came with a few collets but looking to make a complete set.

Comment

Good luck on the quest to find the collets, sometimes you get lucky on that odd ball stuff and sometimes you don’t.

Comment

Nice job on your restorations. Perfection.

Comment

the Stark 4 is not a watchmakers lathe, its decent sized instrument makers lathe. I've had a couple and and thought well of the brand. Sold a loaded 3 1/2 a year or two ago, nice lathe. I can't remember what collets they take, but 4S sounds right. I think you could make adapter to fit the small more common 3c's, or wait and watch. Caches of less common collets are always coming up on ebay. Several 4S Stark collets recently sold on ebay for example, very reasonable prices.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I am from St Catharines, just missed out on a Waltham lathe a month ago. That was the most complete lathe setup l have seen. Pricey for sure 2200. But in the long run may of been cheaper.

Comment

Always looking if someone has a instrument lathe that is well equipped and wants to sell it let me know. [email protected] l hope it’s alright to put my email address in post.

Comment

Originally posted by Conciseman View Post
                      But in the long run may of been cheaper.
                      This is always something to consider when buying a machine tool and what is has for tooling and if any of your current tooling fits it especially when the machine uses odd size tooling.

Comment

Absolutely lm starting to see. Is there a place on this site that solely is used to buy and sell? I’m really looking for a vintage instrument lathe. Up to 2000

Comment

Absolutely lm starting to see. Is there a place on this site that solely is used to buy and sell? I’m really looking for a vintage instrument lathe. Up to 2000
                          No classifieds on this site, a “wanted to buy” posting or “leads wanted” may be ok.

Honestly, I wish this site would get with the times and allow classifieds. I understand they don’t want it competing with “paid advertisers” in the print publications but some member gets special privileges to sell on here because he “participates” and I see the same exact things for sale that people paid to advertise in the magazines.

To bad the rest of the people that “participate” on here can’t sell some things on the regular as well.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

I am from St Catharines, just missed out on a Waltham lathe a month ago. That was the most complete lathe setup l have seen. Pricey for sure 2200. But in the long run may of been cheaper.
                              There was just a beauty in Port - was that the one? I thought that was excellent value - there was a huge set of collets. I'd have bought that in heartbeat if I had 2 extra cubic feet. With a full set of collets, it can reasonably be several times the price of no/few collets. With these lathes, thats their big thing - direct spindle mounted collets.

They're out there and they're trading, just have to diligently watch, ask around, follow up and pounce when a nice one comes along. In the past 6 months I've bought a Habegger 102 5c model with a complete 64th set of Hardinge collets, not a flicker on a tenths indicator needle. A 5c 102 seems a bit rare, really glad to have it. Also got a W20 Schaublin 102 backgear model with literally hundreds of collets, hundreds of emergency collets, probably 80 pot chucks and all the backing plates, Swiss bezel chuck with a hundred jaws....the list goes on and on.

For me, an instrument makers lathe without a set of collets, especially less common collect types, is not appealing. It really impedes its usefulness and you can spend several times what you did on the lathe acquiring the collets. I'd wait until the real deal comes along....just me though, I don't know how hot a deal it is you are looking it.

Oxford I agree on the sales thing. I sense the challenge might be more akin to changing the course of a big ship than the idea's merit....but I think there it would increase in traffic if it was allowed. Make a for sale section for subscribers? My guess is George's days are pretty full without fighting city hall.
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-28-2022, 11:31 AM.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X