X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Originally posted by Conciseman View Post
    So it’s okay if l put a new post that lm looking to purchase a lathe?
    Yep!

Leave a comment:

• Conciseman
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    Yes appears that way.

Leave a comment:

• Conciseman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Good evening. Looking at purchasing a Stark #4 lathe. Been told it uses S4 collets are there any alternates that will work? Or does anyone have a set they will sell! What would be a fair price! It looks like it has never been used. Any info would be great.
    A fair price depends on how common metal working equipment is in your part of the globe. As this is an older machine, you'd have more luck placing a WTB post on the Antique Machinery sub-forum on Practical Machinist.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

Actually, the truth of the matter is he was able to post a for sale ad because he asked me. Little inside info: I say yes to everyone who asks. I'm even less of a fan of the no for sale policy than most of you. When the last request was made I decided it was time to pull the "no for sale" notice from the site rules – just haven't had the time to tackle that yet.

So, go ahead and post a for sale post – I won't care as long as it's a personal sale and not commercial. I'm going to include in the commercial category those who buy and sell as a hobby (anyone remember Flylo?) So, a few sales here and there will be fine but if that's all you are using the forum for that won't work.

In the coming weeks I'll give more thought to this and will try and clarify the "rules" a little more.
    George, that is great news. I know I and others have done a little wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, in all cases in the best interest of both parties, but it will be nice to find homes for good equipment without guessing who would like what.

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Originally posted by oxford View Post

Very nice. Will we be getting a sub-section so ads don’t just get buried in the “general” section?
    No sub section yet. Maybe in the future. I really don't think the front office cares but there are still a few who would make a lot of noise if they knew. Keeping things informal will help reduce headaches for me.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    When the last request was made I decided it was time to pull the "no for sale" notice from the site rules – just haven't had the time to tackle that yet.

So, go ahead and post a for sale post – I won't care as long as it's a personal sale and not commercial. I'm going to include in the commercial category those who buy and sell as a hobby (anyone remember Flylo?) So, a few sales here and there will be fine but if that's all you are using the forum for that won't work.

In the coming weeks I'll give more thought to this and will try and clarify the "rules" a little more.
    Very nice. Will we be getting a sub-section so ads don’t just get buried in the “general” section?

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied

Actually, the truth of the matter is he was able to post a for sale ad because he asked me. Little inside info: I say yes to everyone who asks. I'm even less of a fan of the no for sale policy than most of you. When the last request was made I decided it was time to pull the "no for sale" notice from the site rules – just haven't had the time to tackle that yet.

Nice George, great to hear.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    I do work on clocks but not just that! I fix thinks l restore anything vintage from clocks to woodworking machines to restoration of hand tools. Always making something custom, l know this Lathe is small but my shop is as well. And it’s old that what’s drawn me to it. It came with a few collets but looking to make a complete set.
    Awesome, good deal. From time to time we have rookies desperate to get their first lathe so they buy something ill suited to their needs, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. Sounds like you know exactly what you're up to and looking for. Good luck on your quest.

Cheers,
    MB

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    Originally posted by oxford View Post

,,,but some member gets special privileges to sell on here because he “participates” and I see the same exact things for sale that people paid to advertise in the magazines.

To bad the rest of the people that “participate” on here can’t sell some things on the regular as well.

Leave a comment:

• Tom S
    replied
    Hey, another fellow from Ontario who likes instrument lathes....

I saw that one on Kijiji as well. It was a nice package, to bad you missed out.

I've got an Ames No3 that I've restored, didn't come with collets but I was patient and pounced on Ebay when they did come up. Got a full 64ths set for a fair price. Watch Ebay and sales threads and I'm sure a set of 4S will show up eventually.

I've also got a Simonet DC102 that I picked up recently, working on a bench and a motor setup for that one. It takes W20's and I got a complete set with that one as well.

Like Mcgyver said, parts are out there and trading, it's just a matter of being ready to move when they show up. Some of the more common models like the Schaublins are easier to find because of volume and the years of production, but even the rarer ones pop up once and a while. You're nicely positioned by the border and once things are moving freely again there are some good deals to be found in the nearby states, so be sure to check out those classified ads as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    I am from St Catharines, just missed out on a Waltham lathe a month ago. That was the most complete lathe setup l have seen. Pricey for sure 2200. But in the long run may of been cheaper.
    There was just a beauty in Port - was that the one? I thought that was excellent value - there was a huge set of collets. I'd have bought that in heartbeat if I had 2 extra cubic feet. With a full set of collets, it can reasonably be several times the price of no/few collets. With these lathes, thats their big thing - direct spindle mounted collets.

They're out there and they're trading, just have to diligently watch, ask around, follow up and pounce when a nice one comes along. In the past 6 months I've bought a Habegger 102 5c model with a complete 64th set of Hardinge collets, not a flicker on a tenths indicator needle. A 5c 102 seems a bit rare, really glad to have it. Also got a W20 Schaublin 102 backgear model with literally hundreds of collets, hundreds of emergency collets, probably 80 pot chucks and all the backing plates, Swiss bezel chuck with a hundred jaws....the list goes on and on.

For me, an instrument makers lathe without a set of collets, especially less common collect types, is not appealing. It really impedes its usefulness and you can spend several times what you did on the lathe acquiring the collets. I'd wait until the real deal comes along....just me though, I don't know how hot a deal it is you are looking it.

Oxford I agree on the sales thing. I sense the challenge might be more akin to changing the course of a big ship than the idea's merit....but I think there it would increase in traffic if it was allowed. Make a for sale section for subscribers? My guess is George's days are pretty full without fighting city hall.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-28-2022, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Conciseman
    replied
    Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• oxford
    replied
    Absolutely lm starting to see. Is there a place on this site that solely is used to buy and sell? I’m really looking for a vintage instrument lathe. Up to 2000
    No classifieds on this site, a “wanted to buy” posting or “leads wanted” may be ok.

Honestly, I wish this site would get with the times and allow classifieds. I understand they don’t want it competing with “paid advertisers” in the print publications but some member gets special privileges to sell on here because he “participates” and I see the same exact things for sale that people paid to advertise in the magazines.

To bad the rest of the people that “participate” on here can’t sell some things on the regular as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X