Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Shop light creates hiss on FM radio - any way to eliminate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

RPG? Role playing game is the definition I know. Maybe you mean random password generator? Yeah, I see your point in that case...

-js
    Nope, neither..... refer to the middle east definition..... the first word is "rocket".
    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

RPG? Role playing game is the definition I know. Maybe you mean random password generator? Yeah, I see your point in that case...

-js
      Report Program Generator, superceded by RPG II.

or

The term "rocket-propelled grenade" is a backronym from the Russian acronym РПГ (Ручной Противотанковый Гранатомёт, Ruchnoy Protivotankovy Granatomyot), meaning "handheld anti-tank grenade launcher", the name given to early Russian designs.
      The Soviet-developed RPG-7 is the most widely distributed, recognizable and used RPG in the world. The basic design of this RPG was developed by the Soviets shortly after World War II in the form of the RPG-2, which is similar in function to the Bazooka (due to the reloadability) and the Panzerfaust (due to an oversized grenade that protrudes outside of a smaller launch tube and the recoilless launch), though the rounds it fires lack a form of propulsion in addition to the launch charge (unlike the RPG-7 rounds, which also feature a sustainer motor, effectively making the rounds rocket propelled grenades).

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
        I was moving around some shop lights in my workshop garage last Saturday.
        Hey? Welcome .
        I have problems with shop lights all the time.

Emitters, they will try to mess with our radios. I just placed an FM antenna up.

It fixed my garage cross talk, Oh??

I just placed it above the other stuff by four feet. JR

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          Who still listens to the radio? Replace that ancient thing with a music streaming service and you’ll also not have to listen to commercials anymore.
          Sometimes that ancient thing is the only one working. Earlier this month a snow storm took out our power and internet. Even though I have a generator the internet did not come back for two days; power took six days. My Grundig Yachtboy came to the rescue. There is a whole lot of infrastructure needed for that stream to get to you. However, I have it all in the shop: internet, Sirius, broadcast radio, ham radio and a police scanner. I can spin vinyl, too.
          To get tack on topic, I chased random RF from the cheap electronic ballasts in my overhead florescent fixtures for about 6 months then finally ripped them all out and replaced them with Toggled LED tubes. RF problem solved.
          Last edited by flathead4; 01-29-2022, 07:11 AM.
          Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post

Sometimes that ancient thing is the only one working. Earlier this month a snow storm took out our power and internet. Even though I have a generator the internet did not come back for two days; power took six days. .
            Similar situation here. Power outages are common, so common that I have two generators. Internet goes down and stays that way until our ISP brings a generator up to our local switch. Eight hours later it goes down again because they can't be troubled to come up and fuel it.

I have nearly all of my 80gb music collection on my phone and blue-tooth speaker hanging on my hip. Goes where I go, the music never stops.
            I replaced all of my fluorescent shop lights with LEDs. I didn't have interference problems, but the LEDs don't care what the temperature is and they are MUCH brighter. Bonus, they use half the power.
            It's all mind over matter.
            If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Who still listens to the radio? Replace that ancient thing with a music streaming service and you’ll also not have to listen to commercials anymore.
              Commercials? I listen to CBC2 on a repeater out of Windsor, Ont (I enjoy listening to the Canadian national news on the radio - gives a slightly different perspective than what is presented on this side of the border) or my local (Detroit) public radio station that has classical music days and jazz at night. Its kind of jarring when I switch over to another local station and have commercials several times an hour.

I solved the hiss problem by accident today. I switched out one of the cool white T12 lamps with a warm T8 and now the hiss is gone! I like the warm/cool mix for fluorescent lights but did not have a warm lamp handy last week when I hung this light. I really did not want to move the radio to another circuit - I have 3 sets of bookshelf speakers hung in various places in the workshop (old school with speaker wires back to the radio). I was going to move the light, much easier than the radio - now I don't have to do either!

Thank you all for your replies.
              Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
                Commercials? I listen to CBC2 on a repeater out of Windsor, Ont (I enjoy listening to the Canadian national news on the radio - gives a slightly different perspective than what is presented on this side of the border) or my local (Detroit) public radio station that has classical music days and jazz at night. Its kind of jarring when I switch over to another local station and have commercials several times an hour.

Thank you all for your replies.
                Yes Sir.

Cant beat Radio. Internet Radio? Naw... JR

Comment

Working...
                X