Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well fellars this has to be the 'crudeist' thing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well fellars this has to be the 'crudeist' thing....

I have seen so far, and believe me when I say I have see some crude ****e! I have never seen a guy make a 12" four jaw out of steel plate, all thread and a brake drum. But as they say necessity is the mother of invention. And in a way I got to hand it to him. We won't talk about the 'lathe' now will we.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgO...=OtakAtekMatok

Ah, heck! I seen lets'er stuff cruder den dat.

Ah' wus growed up en der countree.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Crude maybe, but I think he's a damn good fabricator and a master of the zip wheel.
      Not like he's got an Amazon Prime account so that he could order one made in India delivered in two days with free shipping.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

It's a step up from the wood block bearings and angle grinder lathe he had before. Or putting it differently, imagine you are on Gilligan's Island and there is no Ginger or Mary Ann
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I've built cruder. They actually seemed to have a working device. The whole machine appeared pretty flimsy, but for a lot of work that will be sufficient.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

What they did, none of us would do. We'd just throw up our hands and say 'it can't be done'. These people are doing something about their needs even though their resources are almost nil.
            Southwest Utah

Comment

What gets me is that if the fellow would produce the desired "turning" with a hand file, It would be appreciated as careful craftsmanship!

Add to that, "those guys" appear to have no issue obtaining suitable raw stock, while we in developed regions struggle to find sources at out price requirement.

I do think western society should quit scrapping old and neglected machine tools, and send it all to those who could and would use it.

Comment

So that’s how you make an RPG!
                Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

I didn't watch it, but I bet he made more money with that lathe than most people ever do with theirs. 600k views and climbing...

Comment

that is pretty crude, but I wish my guys were as good with a zip cutter lol. btw, that statement of fact doesn't preclude admiring his industry or acknowledging that he may have done well considering the resources at hand
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-05-2022, 08:15 AM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                      What gets me is that if the fellow would produce the desired "turning" with a hand file, It would be appreciated as careful craftsmanship!
                      on you tube anyway 😄

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

There must be some advantage to working on the ground. He does it even though he has a drill press and welder - signs that his shop is just a touch above "bare" and yet doesn't have a workbench. Then, of course, there are all those Y-T videos of Pakistani production of truck axles, etc with work on the ground. What is it about the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                          There must be some advantage to working on the ground. He does it even though he has a drill press and welder - signs that his shop is just a touch above "bare" and yet doesn't have a workbench. Then, of course, there are all those Y-T videos of Pakistani production of truck axles, etc with work on the ground. What is it about the ground?
                          It's cheap, and it is always there.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

This guy's working on the floor, not the ground. He has hexagonal pavers under him that appear to be pretty well set.
                            Southwest Utah

Comment

Can't remember where, but I've read that people in this part of the world have almost no hip issues compared to the 'stand up or sit' world. Something to do with keeping the joint moving throughout the range of motion, promoting even wear and constant 'polishing'.
                              Southwest Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X