Cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron

Please help me, I'm a novice trying to make a stirling engine, I need cast iron to machine power piston and sleeve, where could I get it?, and, the galvanized pipe is considered cast iron?
    Thanks

------------------
    Dr. Gerardo
    Dr. Gerardo

Doc,
    I remember pulling some huge birdhouse foundations out of the ground many years ago in order to relocate them. I was pounding on the concrete to free the steel beams when an old fellow came down the alley and told me to hit the metal instead of the concrete. He did not know why it worked, but it did. I later figured it was the metal vibrating that loosened the concrete. Perhaps this, along with drilling strategically placed holes will speed up the process.
    Mike in Michigan

Comment

sherline.com has all the resourses you could need. Check metalmart also.....

Comment

I know what it's like being a novice... but you get great help here. I just received today some cast iron from www.MetalMart.com; they have Class 40 cast iron in rounds, squares and flats. While this is not intended as an advertisement and I am not affiliated in any way with metal mart I have ordered from them quite a bit and have always found them to be very helpful and eager to accomodate. I think they're also known as Metal Express.

Comment

Thanks to all!, by the way, the car's axle is made from cast iron ?
          Dr. Gerardo

Comment

Doc
            No, the car axles are often tempered steel.

You can also purchase cast bar and some other materials including bismuth and some odd ball parts from www.smallparts.com They have stainless hyperdermic tubing upto 1/4" diameter - which may be useful if you get into other model types. Bismuth is often used to held hold odd shaped parts to machine them - these alloys melt below 200*F.

Comment

MSC www.mscdirect.com also sells cast iron. Probably also McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com .

N.b. galvanized pipe is NOT cast iron.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thanks!. Now everything is clear to me

------------------
                Dr. Gerardo
                Dr. Gerardo

Comment

Working...
                X