Flexure Cut Off Blade Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexure Cut Off Blade Holder

Somewhere In the last week I saw a one piece cut off blade holder. It was machined away on the back to fit into a 250 style lathe bit holder. The front was machined wide (high) enough for an insert type parting blade. At the time I thought that makes perfect sense. I'm going to make one. Now my brain is messing with me. I did a quick pencil sketch, but it just doesn't look right. Like I am missing something. Has anybody seen a cut off blade holder along these lines recently? Got a link?

Attached Files
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Like.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

I'm not a talented sketch artist, but that distortion is camera angle. My sketch doesn't look THAT bad. LOL
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

One something like this Bob? I think I may even have one like it....somewhere.

https://www.abmtools.com/product/par...er-for-blades/

Click image for larger version

Name:	tool_holder_for_blades.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1986797
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          One something like this Bob? I think I may even have one like it....somewhere.

https://www.abmtools.com/product/par...er-for-blades/

Name:	tool_holder_for_blades.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1986797
          That is sorta similar, but the one I saw definitely one piece with a flexure.

Comment

Sorry, missed the flexure in the title and I certainly should have seen that feature in your sketch.
            The only type I remember seeing with a flex type grip is also made by ABM tools, among others I'm sure.
            Although the concept is somewhat similar the execution is vastly different.

Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1986809
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Iscar and Kennametal both make the type you are looking for-

https://www.dansdiscounttools.com/pr...ock-a2ten1632/

If you build one, I can suggest an improvement. Add a couple fine thread setscrews in between the clamping bolts to jack the flexure open making it easier to adjust the stickout. The ones I have used are tough to slide the tool into/through without tapping the blade with a hammer and Aluminum block.

Here's the Iscar version-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12371826534...oAAOSwkV5aaPHx
              Last edited by wierdscience; 02-16-2022, 12:14 AM.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Iscar and Kennametal both make the type you are looking for-

https://www.dansdiscounttools.com/pr...ock-a2ten1632/

If you build one, I can suggest an improvement. Add a couple fine thread setscrews in between the clamping bolts to jack the flexure open making it easier to adjust the stickout. The ones I have used are tough to slide the tool into/through without tapping the blade with a hammer and Aluminum block.

Here's the Iscar version-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12371826534...oAAOSwkV5aaPHx
                Jack screws is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Sorry, missed the flexure in the title and I certainly should have seen that feature in your sketch.
                The only type I remember seeing with a flex type grip is also made by ABM tools, among others I'm sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg Views:	6 Size:	29.0 KB ID:	1986809
                Now that's a different way of doing it. I like that one too.

Comment

Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1986809
                  I've made one of these to hold a piece of regular hacksaw blade sharpened as parting blade.
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                    Somewhere In the last week I saw a one piece cut off blade holder. It was machined away on the back to fit into a 250 style lathe bit holder. The front was machined wide (high) enough for an insert type parting blade. At the time I thought that makes perfect sense. I'm going to make one. Now my brain is messing with me. I did a quick pencil sketch, but it just doesn't look right. Like I am missing something. Has anybody seen a cut off blade holder along these lines recently? Got a link?
                    If you going to make a holder, may I suggest a direct mount to your post. This way the blade overhang will be smaller and your tool will be better supported by the compound. I was thinking to do just that for my BXA (250) post, but bought a 2 pc version from Shaars. May still do it one day...

Comment

EDIT: Never mind (brain fart) - I didn't see that ledge on the bottom where the blade would sit. I still like the idea of clamping on the edges.
                      __________________________________________________ _____________

The one that you sketched is fundamentally different from the others in that although the blade is supported on the bottom, as it has to be, it is clamped by its sides. Which means evenly along the whole length of the holder. I like it!

If you make one (please do), be sure to post about it.
                      Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-16-2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Here's an interesting & very simple one that uses side clamping, but with a 2-piece wedging action; the force being supplied by the holder:
                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001243858781.html

Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-16-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I first interpreted your sketch to mean something like this:

Name:	Cut off holder.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1986864

Comment

The adjuster is an unintentional misdirect. I should not have put one on this part.

Comment

Bob, you're not wrong about seeing that style of flexure holder in the past week. I'm pretty sure it was well displayed in a YT video that I also saw. But like you I hope no one asks WHICH video. The method also struck me as being very home shop friendly.

It's worth noting that the flexure web in your sketch is only the width of the one saw cut running down from the top. And the narrow width of that means that you will need to strictly limit the amount of movement needed so that small area isn't stressed into cracking.

Your sketch also includes a height adjuster. But the sketch shows a bar which would clamp into a holder that has its own height adjuster. So really that whole top between the mounting bar and the part with the setscrews could be relieved down to just over the height of the securing bar and make for a much wider flexure joint which would give a zero risk of any stress cracking.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X