Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welderskelter
    replied
    I seen a spring type cut off tool on you tube that impressed me . Course it dont take much to impress me.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rand
    replied
    PeWe tools do a version for Multifix style toolposts.

Aus zwei genialen Ideen (1. Multifixhalter und 2. Spannblock für Stechschwerter) haben wir kurzerhand einen Halter entwickelt der beide Ideen vereint.

I've got one and it works very well.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Bob, you're not wrong about seeing that style of flexure holder in the past week. I'm pretty sure it was well displayed in a YT video that I also saw. But like you I hope no one asks WHICH video. The method also struck me as being very home shop friendly.

It's worth noting that the flexure web in your sketch is only the width of the one saw cut running down from the top. And the narrow width of that means that you will need to strictly limit the amount of movement needed so that small area isn't stressed into cracking.

Your sketch also includes a height adjuster. But the sketch shows a bar which would clamp into a holder that has its own height adjuster. So really that whole top between the mounting bar and the part with the setscrews could be relieved down to just over the height of the securing bar and make for a much wider flexure joint which would give a zero risk of any stress cracking.
    Yep!

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    The adjuster is an unintentional misdirect. I should not have put one on this part.
    A buddy of mine loaned me (no particular time limit) an insert type parting blade to try out. This is the new "backup" blade in umahunter's shop, so I only need to run it back right away if he jacks up the one he is using. He has a smaller lathe and is using a 2 piece block similar to the one in post #4. I could make one like that, but I have kinda fallen in love with the flexure type holder idea.

My intention is to make a holder that is a very close fit to try it out. If I really like the blade I'll buy one (probably two so I also have a backup) with some inserts. There will not be much flex needed in the flexure.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 02-16-2022, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Bob, you're not wrong about seeing that style of flexure holder in the past week. I'm pretty sure it was well displayed in a YT video that I also saw. But like you I hope no one asks WHICH video. The method also struck me as being very home shop friendly.

It's worth noting that the flexure web in your sketch is only the width of the one saw cut running down from the top. And the narrow width of that means that you will need to strictly limit the amount of movement needed so that small area isn't stressed into cracking.

Your sketch also includes a height adjuster. But the sketch shows a bar which would clamp into a holder that has its own height adjuster. So really that whole top between the mounting bar and the part with the setscrews could be relieved down to just over the height of the securing bar and make for a much wider flexure joint which would give a zero risk of any stress cracking.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    The adjuster is an unintentional misdirect. I should not have put one on this part.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    I first interpreted your sketch to mean something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut off holder.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1986864

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Here's an interesting & very simple one that uses side clamping, but with a 2-piece wedging action; the force being supplied by the holder:

Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-16-2022, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    EDIT: Never mind (brain fart) - I didn't see that ledge on the bottom where the blade would sit. I still like the idea of clamping on the edges.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

The one that you sketched is fundamentally different from the others in that although the blade is supported on the bottom, as it has to be, it is clamped by its sides. Which means evenly along the whole length of the holder. I like it!

If you make one (please do), be sure to post about it.
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-16-2022, 10:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mikey553
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Somewhere In the last week I saw a one piece cut off blade holder. It was machined away on the back to fit into a 250 style lathe bit holder. The front was machined wide (high) enough for an insert type parting blade. At the time I thought that makes perfect sense. I'm going to make one. Now my brain is messing with me. I did a quick pencil sketch, but it just doesn't look right. Like I am missing something. Has anybody seen a cut off blade holder along these lines recently? Got a link?
    If you going to make a holder, may I suggest a direct mount to your post. This way the blade overhang will be smaller and your tool will be better supported by the compound. I was thinking to do just that for my BXA (250) post, but bought a 2 pc version from Shaars. May still do it one day...

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    Sorry, missed the flexure in the title and I certainly should have seen that feature in your sketch.
    The only type I remember seeing with a flex type grip is also made by ABM tools, among others I'm sure.
    Although the concept is somewhat similar the execution is vastly different.

Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1986809
    I've made one of these to hold a piece of regular hacksaw blade sharpened as parting blade.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
    Iscar and Kennametal both make the type you are looking for-

https://www.dansdiscounttools.com/pr...ock-a2ten1632/

If you build one, I can suggest an improvement. Add a couple fine thread setscrews in between the clamping bolts to jack the flexure open making it easier to adjust the stickout. The ones I have used are tough to slide the tool into/through without tapping the blade with a hammer and Aluminum block.

Here's the Iscar version-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12371826534...oAAOSwkV5aaPHx
    Jack screws is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Sorry, missed the flexure in the title and I certainly should have seen that feature in your sketch.
    The only type I remember seeing with a flex type grip is also made by ABM tools, among others I'm sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg Views:	6 Size:	29.0 KB ID:	1986809
    Now that's a different way of doing it. I like that one too.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Iscar and Kennametal both make the type you are looking for-

https://www.dansdiscounttools.com/pr...ock-a2ten1632/

If you build one, I can suggest an improvement. Add a couple fine thread setscrews in between the clamping bolts to jack the flexure open making it easier to adjust the stickout. The ones I have used are tough to slide the tool into/through without tapping the blade with a hammer and Aluminum block.

Here's the Iscar version-

Last edited by wierdscience; 02-16-2022, 12:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied

Name:	parting_tool_holder.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1986809

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    One something like this Bob? I think I may even have one like it....somewhere.

Name:	tool_holder_for_blades.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1986797
    That is sorta similar, but the one I saw definitely one piece with a flexure.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    One something like this Bob? I think I may even have one like it....somewhere.

Name:	tool_holder_for_blades.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1986797

Leave a comment:

Working...
X