X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewbaseballboy
    • Jun 2006

plans

been a machinist for 10 yrs now but have trouble finding plans for any useable home projects any ideas or sources
  • DancingBear
    • Mar 2004

The kind sponsors of this forum would be an excellent place to start. A subscription to one or both magazines will provide many projects, though larger ones tend to be presented in several installments. If you're in a rush, they have bunches of books, from steam engines to rifles, and many books that present more assorted collections of general shop, lathe, and mill projects along with some 'fun stuff'. I haven't actually sprung for any, but they look like good values. See the link right below the advertisement at the top of the page.

Or, if you're really strapped, decide what you want to make and start googling. I found a bunch of steam engine plans that way, including a few freebies.

Lindsay Books (http://www.lindsaybks.com) also sells books you might like, mostly reprints, on a wide range of subjects.

If none of that suits you I can send you some of my projects I haven't gotten to yet...

Walt

Comment

• Tin Falcon
      • May 2004

Plans

Matt : welcome aboard. DB is right subscribe to the magazine(s) or buy a book or two the books are compiled collections of articles from years past. They run about 250 pages and are mosly hard bound. Also a google search may come up with a few hits for plans.
      If you have somthing specific in mind guys maybe able to help.
      Tin
      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

been a machinist for 10 yrs now but have trouble finding plans for any useable home projects any ideas or sources
        Design your own. I have never built anything from somebody else's plans except when paid to do so. The only exception to that is the occasional electronic circuit but I usually design my own there, too. For me, more than half the enjoyment is making my own design. I will look at what others have done to gain ideas but I never directly copy another design.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• SGW
          • Apr 2001

Define "useable home projects."

If you're looking for things to make that are truly useful (as opposed to ornamental, or "hobby"), then you may be pretty much on your own. While 101 plans for model steam engines may be interesting all that, they aren't what one would probabaly call useful (excet maybe as a gift).

It seems as though most of the "useful" things I've done in the shop, for around the house, have had a way of finding me. A need shows up, in the normal course of living, and I wonder how people live who don't have a machine shop in the basement. But I haven't actively looked for things like that to do.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Mcostello
            • Apr 2001

My goodness, don't you need any accessories? Bought em all already? You lucky fella.
            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

• Al Messer
              • Jun 2002

Go to your local library and check in to a batch of Popular Science Monthly, Popular Mechanics, Science and Mechanics magazines from the 1940's and '50's. They usually had at least one metal working project in each issue.

Comment

• Mcgyver
                • Mar 2005

you mean useful around the home or designs for useful stuff that can be made in the home shop. Plans for the later abound, I don't want any of the former - having almost no practical utility to the better half or (urban) neighbours is a prerequisite of a good hobby .

The most useful thing i ever made was a very cool (imo) computer desk, all stainless, AL, and glass, lots of adjustable shelves and a small footprint. Other than the odd repair job or ornamental stuff (if you want to make candlesticks) I've never found much use for a machine shop on the domestic front which suits me just fine - is there something you are after or just new ideas?
                located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• Rich Carlstedt
                  • Jul 2001

I think Home Shop Machinist Magazine should be your first stop.
                  You may also want to check out Guy Lautards website at
                  machine shop, Bedside Reader, rotary table, vernier calipers, machinist, metal work, metalwork, drill, milling machine, rifling, rifle barrels, workbench, clock plans, Lucian Cary, H.M. Pope, Harry Pope, knots, knotwork, Sakai, Myford oiling machine tools, Cole Drill, clock making, workbenches, oiling machine tools, Tinker, Tinker Tool, Cutter Grinder, gunsmiths, clockmakers, books, plans, videos, lathes, Aircraft, StrongArmSprays

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

• Orrin
                    • Jan 2005

Go to this Web site and you'll find many dozens of suppliers of plans and castings for projects. Casting suppliers usually furnish the necessary plans with their kits:

This Web site is the best resource for model engineering, bar none.

Orrin
                    So many projects. So little time.

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

This post is to work around the date stamp problem and will throw the post off the top of the list.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• decoy91288
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Orrin
                        Go to this Web site and you'll find many dozens of suppliers of plans and castings for projects. Casting suppliers usually furnish the necessary plans with their kits:

This Web site is the best resource for model engineering, bar none.

Orrin
                        I noted the web site claimed last update as of 05-24-2006. Bob Shores is listed as a supplier. His wife must be selling Bob's book and all as he died a couple of years ago. A serious loss to the hobby. I spoke to him several times regarding an engine project. He was knowledgable and patient. His book on making magnetos is first class. He was supplying spark plug cords and miniature spark plugs too.
                        Craig

Comment

• banjoallen
                          • Nov 2005

check out this place

筋力トレーニングの対象となる人体の主な筋肉部位の構造・名称と鍛え方は以下の通りです。 なお、本ページは筋トレ専門サイトGLINTの「 筋肉名称デジタル図鑑 」の画像および記載を参照しています。

Comment

• Orrin
                            • Jan 2005

Bob Shores is listed as a supplier. His wife must be selling Bob's book and all as he died a couple of years ago.
                            Yes, Margaret Shores continues to fill orders. She has even had a couple of special foundry runs done to have an engine cast entirely in bronze. I believe it was the Eagle. IIRC, the all-bronze variety is called the Golden Eagle.

Indeed, Bob's book on ignition systems is one of my prized posessions. It is a wealth of material.

Bob's passing was a huge loss to the hobby; but, Margaret's continued involvement helps to lessen the blow.

Regards,

Orrin
                            So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Working...
                            X