No announcement yet.

Brian builds a Corliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I drilled and tapped 18 holes in the cylinder. My cheeks are sore from clenched muscles!! The tapped holes under the brass thing are all put in with new spiral flute #4-40 taps and went very smoothly. The threads under the round flange are #5-40 and they were put in with an old "standard" tap, and there is a world of difference. I will talk to my tool guy and buy a couple of spiral flute #5-40 taps tomorrow.---Why are the bolts so long?--Because the shortest bolts I stock are 1/2" long. The bolts you see will all get shortened tomorrow.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Nice job Brian!
      Jon

Comment

• So, here we are with 82 holes drilled and tapped. The only machining left on the cylinder is the very small holes that lead from the machined cavities thru to the ends of the cylinder. Never broke a tap---Amazing.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Never broke a tap
          NEVER say that out loud!
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• WOW! Good job Brian.
            Jon

Comment

• And today was a massive "try every bolt in every threaded hole day".--And they all fit---mostly. I had four clearance holes that had to be stretched a bit, but everything bolted up. Tomorrow was going to be a "shorten 100 bolts day" but before I do I will contact my nut and bolt supplier and see if I can buy shorter bolts.

Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I call do-over on this. I know it's "just" a cover.
                Are those holes tool close to the edge?
                Is your block the 2.125" its supposed to be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	brian1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1992620

Comment

• Block isn't full size--Lacks about 1/32" of being full size. No do-over. Bolt head will cover elongated slot and Mrs. belt sander will get rid of any overhanging brass.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• What are those covers covering? Your 3-D renderings show only the top and valve side.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• You do love that belt sander….

Comment

• That looks just fine to me. That is a lot of holes, a lot of tapping, a lot of dimensions.
                        That looks fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                          I call do-over on this. I know it's "just" a cover.
                          Are those holes tool close to the edge?
                          Is your block the 2.125" its supposed to be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	brian1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1992620
                          Not sure I would do-over either.

But it does look like "Mrs Belt Sander" will be cutting into screw-heads. That might change my mind.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Belt sanders have their place.
                            This isn’t one of them
                            Yikes!

Comment

• Each of us has an opinion.

Brian's opinion is the one that counts.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• I guess……
                                Just trying to up the quality of the game….
                                Probably not going to happen here.

Comment

Working...
                                X