No announcement yet.

Brian builds a Corliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was flywheel day. The man where I buy my material must have had a short end of tubing he wanted to get rid of. I asked for it to be 1 3/4" long, but when I got to looking at it a bit closer, he gave me a piece 2 1/2" long.--and the finished dimension is 1 1/2" long.
    Seven inches diameter seems to be the largest piece I can hold with my reverse chuck jaws, and even that was a very close thing. All three jaws were engaged, but not by very darned much. I proceeded to machine 1/2" off both ends, and then turned the inner diameter steps as required. On the last pass I let the magic smoke out of the switch, and it looks like my lathe gets another truck ride to Toronto. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian- can’t you just get the new part and install it?
      That must be easier than hauling the entire thing into the shop each time??
      What’s the root cause of the repeated failures?

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
        Let the magic smoke out how? A blinding flash of light, a thunderous roar and a cloud of choking acrid black smoke?
        Or did the lathe suddenly coast to a stop? With no theatrics?

Are you reasonable certain it's the same failure as before? Not something simple like the failure of the micro-switch on the change gear cover? Or some other "safety"?

Comment

This^^^^^^ You must be off warranty by now,and a switch is easy to install. You can do it.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

On the last pass, smoke began coming out around the on/off switch and the motor cut in and out and I hit the e-stop button immediately. Let it cool off for an hour, hit the start button and it started right up, ran for 10 seconds, then died. Took the cover plate off, looked down inside, and was confronted by an amazing array of wires and one or two which had the ends burned off. I can wire a house, I can wire a car, but I have neither the test equipment nor the technical knowledge to start messing about in the electrical guts of my lathe. The last time I took it to Toronto, I made some fairly specialized hoisting equipment to help me lift and maneuver the lathe. I kept that equipment together for the "next time" I needed it. This gives me something to do tomorrow.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have a number of pieces to machine that don't require a lathe to finish them. There is no sense loading my lathe onto my truck today (which is a fairly major enterprise) because the place in Toronto that will fix it will be closed over the weekend.
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                On the last pass, smoke began coming out around the on/off switch and the motor cut in and out and I hit the e-stop button immediately. Let it cool off for an hour, hit the start button and it started right up, ran for 10 seconds, then died. Took the cover plate off, looked down inside, and was confronted by an amazing array of wires and one or two which had the ends burned off. .............................
                Sounds like the "experts" at the dealer can't tighten screws, or else they use dollar store pliers to crimp electrical spade terminals.

You need someone who can actually fix it right.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Okay. Not a bad day.--Worked 6 hours, made five parts. Not horribly difficult parts, but a lot of set up and a lot of manual milling. I still have two or three days work before I need the lathe, so it's working out all right.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Maybe start with properly reterminating the ends that are burned off? Surly you can do that? (If you can wire a car)
                    Check the other terminations. See if that does it. At this point nothing to loose, but much to gain.

Sid

Comment

How about a picture of the carnage? Might offer some clues as to why it happened and how to fix it properly.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Maybe start with properly reterminating the ends that are burned off? Surly you can do that? (If you can wire a car)
                        Check the other terminations. See if that does it. At this point nothing to loose, but much to gain.

Sid
                        Sage advice from Sid.
                        Makes me wonder how many other BB lathe owners are experiencing the same issue with the motor control board.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Sounds like the "experts" at the dealer can't tighten screws, or else they use dollar store pliers to crimp electrical spade terminals.

You need someone who can actually fix it right.

Sid
                          There is starting to be a consensus here.... I am sure you can fix it without hauling the whole thing in to them. That is no better than John Deere service.

Comment

Brian, I too say post a picture of the damage. We will offer help. Worst case you will load it and drive to Toronto. Best case, you learn a bit and fix it yourself and keep some of the Rupnow fortune available for your projects. I wish I was closer to you. I would come up and fix it just to meet you and see your models in person.
                            Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Brian, you made it clear last time around that you do not feel comfortable messing with the electric in your lathe, no problem, I can accept that. Still, its a shame you have to load it up and take it to be repaired, not a trivial task. Is the electrician that wired up the VFD for your bandsaw available? He could likely fix it real quick. (provided the switch itself isn't damaged and needing replacement) From your description is sounds like a wire had poor contact and got hot, likely a very easy fix.

Comment

Guys, I'm not an electrician. I don't know any electricians. The components in my lathe are particular to that lathe. Moving the lathe and taking it to Toronto is not my favorite thing to do, but messing around in the electrical system is something I won't do.
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X