Need a big tap and die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a big tap and die

Looking to borrow purchase or rent a tap and die for 1-7/16 -8 tpi.
    The male and female parts only need to be chased and or cleaned up.
    I wood be willing to send a deposit for borrowing these tools.
    Thanx in advance.
    Tom

[email protected]

Tap

The only 1 7/16 taps I can find only come in 12, 16 or 18tpi. Wholesale tools has these, maybe they can special order the 8tpi?

www.wttool.com
    Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Are you sure it's 1 7/16???? I've got a ton of 8 pitch taps in fractions from 1" to 6" but nothing in 1/16's

Comment

McMaster-Carr carries the 8tpi in most any of the large taps but they don't list 1 7/16. They have just about everything else. Are you sure it's 1 7/16?

If Mc doesn't show it, it's probably a $pecial order.

Comment

I measured the o.d. of the mail.....1.440. What else could it be but 1.437.

Comment

Does anybody know how to make a tap.....not profesionally, in my garage.

Comment

Have you considered using a "Thread Repair File" for the male thread, and making your own "one off" tap for the female thread on the lathe out of Drill Rod or other water hardening Steel?

Comment

The thread file idea is realy good. Also grab a 1" 8 TPI tap with some vice grips and hand scrape the threads clean, if you find a gaul or some damage you dig on that spot with the tap for a while. It may sound nuts but it works just fine.

Comment

Working...
                X