Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leadscrew backlash reduction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leadscrew backlash reduction

    Crawling around the web, I found this:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	1988012

    It's a product, but I'm thinking that an in-machine nut could be modified to be like it. A slit and an adjusting screw, what could be easier?

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 02-21-2022, 09:54 PM.

  • #2
    Backlash reducer? Sure is!

    Wear increase? Also YES!

    I think that Evan's Evanut was the best way I have seen.



    And is that an acme screw or a ball screw?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

    And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

    Comment


    • #3
      My Sheldon came with something sort of similar on the cross-slide. It does work, but depending on the material used it can wear back to where you started pretty quickly.
      Southwest Utah

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Backlash reducer? Sure is!

        Wear increase? Also YES!

        I think that Evan's Evanut was the best way I have seen.



        And is that an acme screw or a ball screw?
        If there still was some backlash,even at the tight ends, there wouldn't be any increased wear, would there?

        Acme.

        A new acetal nut would mean starting from scratch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

          If there still was some backlash,even at the tight ends, there wouldn't be any increased wear, would there?

          .
          When you split the nut you cut the bearing surface area in half.
          Hence twice the wear. Splitting the nut is a bad idea,
          Nothing wrong with backlash. If you think there is, seek help.

          -D
          DZER

          Comment


          • #6
            The Sheldon implementation is a little better in that it uses a full-size nut, then adds a smaller adjustable section. I haven't adjusted it in the last 15 years. Yeah, Doozer, backlash is a fact of life, but the less the better.
            Southwest Utah

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
              Crawling around the web, I found this:
              Why did they use a tapped Bronze nut on a ballscrew???
              I just need one more tool,just one!

              Comment


              • #8
                Backlash means it is wearing in
                not wearing out. (Usually).

                ---Doozer
                DZER

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

                  Why did they use a tapped Bronze nut on a ballscrew???
                  Circular form tap.
                  Coil thread is what it is called.
                  Used in rebar nuts for concrete forms.

                  -D
                  DZER

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can't see it for a leadscrew, where's the problem that is being solved?

                    For a FEEDscrew, OK, it does eliminate an extra nuisance for certain operations, if the backlash is "effectively" zero afterward.

                    Problem is, the wear isn't even, so the nut cannot actually eliminate the issue. Only in some spots. The rest either still have backlash, or are too tight, depending.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Doozer View Post

                      Circular form tap.
                      Coil thread is what it is called.
                      Used in rebar nuts for concrete forms.

                      -D
                      That's not coil thread
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Doozer View Post

                        When you split the nut you cut the bearing surface area in half.
                        Hence twice the wear. Splitting the nut is a bad idea,
                        Nothing wrong with backlash. If you think there is, seek help.

                        -D
                        Oh yeah - I see that. Thanks.

                        I used to think "nothing wrong with backlash", e.g., in the context of cross feed screw, where you just always approach the cut in the same direction. But the other day I was fly cutting on my (loose) mill and I got some terrible dancing when the cut was climbing. It's very possible that my technique was lacking, but it seemed like less backlash would help.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

                          That's not coil thread

                          No ? ? ? ? ?
                          What makes you think not ?

                          -D
                          DZER

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Doozer View Post

                            Circular form tap.
                            Coil thread is what it is called.
                            Used in rebar nuts for concrete forms.

                            -D
                            Those formwork nuts over here are used as-cast, the threads are not cut into them nor even cleaned up with a tap.
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

                            Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Properly adjusted high quality ball screw nut - there is no backlash...

                              sam

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X