Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC? $75,000 pickup cost per mile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Such an odd question Edwin? I bought a vehicle for 97,000 dollars (an rv). And I rarely use it. Am I now on the hit list of folks that spend their hard earned money on frivolous stuff?

I find it interesting to read (not just here) about people curious about Other peoples money.. Hey guess what? Yup, some folks don't just spend as Needed. Some spend as they wish. And then there are those that will try to show how frivolous or dumb those people are..

IMO, petty thinking to look at how others spend their money. You know what it looks like from afar? Green. JR
    So,ONLY SOCIOLOGISTS are allowed to comment on how our society functions? Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post

So,ONLY SOCIOLOGISTS are allowed to comment on how our society functions? Edwin Dirnbeck
      Thats kinda funny. I dont even know what it means. Naw, its a free world, for now anyway.. JR

Comment

I need a pickup (a ute actually) so I do not get confused among the Jags, Audis, Mercs etc etc in our museum car park.

Comment

Possibly lots of people on here with that kind of money but it is tied up in their pension, or a second home, or yacht. It is often more about when in your lifecycle you decide to spend it and on what.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

That 40k is nearly double what I paid for my Ranger 2 years ago. And it's nearly as big, semi-crew / 6 foot bed/270 hp/ big ground clearance/ 1860 lb load/ 7500 tow. Would have preferred 8 foot, but......
            Not even close; 3,800 lb. payload, 14,000lb. towing, big diesel with lots of torque, 8' bed.

Comment

AS for the cost...

Add it up.

Initial cost with financing, taxes, insurance, gas/diesel, repair costs, "lost opportunity" costs (what you could have gotten by investing the money instead), etc.

Divide by the miles you intend to drive it over it's "life". That's your potential cost per mile.

Your actual cost per mile is dependent on how far you actually drive it, and changes every time you get in it and drive.

I do not see how that could ever be less than $0.33 per mile, just figuring initial cost plus financing plus taxes and insurance based on 300K total miles over its life. Lower total miles would increase the cost per mile. Fuel, repairs,and lost opportunity would increase that even more. I'd be surprised if it wasn't north of $0.5 per mile when all is said and done.

Watch the $ add up as you drive....
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

Not even close; 3,800 lb. payload, 14,000lb. towing, big diesel with lots of torque, 8' bed.
                So what? You got a bigger truck.... it's probably not physically much bigger, which was what I was actually referring to. You ever load it to max? I get close with the Ranger, so it's a good fit.

Capacity that you do not use is a waste of money, and inefficient
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

So what? You got a bigger truck.... it's probably not physically much bigger, which was what I was actually referring to. You ever load it to max? I get close with the Ranger, so it's a good fit.

Capacity that you do not use is a waste of money, and inefficient
                  You're the one who was claiming that yours was nearly as big. Don't blame me for pointing out how wrong you were.

And, yes, I use my towing and payload capacity. I haul an 8,000 lb. horse trailer, a 14,000 lb. flatbed, and I often load the bed with nearly 2 tons of fence posts or other building supplies.

Comment

A number of years ago I went to a dealership to look for a new pickup truck. All the trucks on the lot had leather seats, stereo systems, power this, power that. I asked to see "a good old truck with cloth seats, no radio, and just cranks for the windows". I was told that the only way would be to special order it and pay EXTRA to have less stuff put on it. The salesman explained it thusly -

The vast majority of pickup trucks are bought by younger guys who can't afford another vehicle. It's not about work - it's about having a fancy pickup truck like all the other guys have. Most of the trucks will never go off road and will haul a big load once or twice in it's life.

I was astounded.. I'd have to pay EXTRA to get a plain truck without extras.

Comment

$75,000, Is that all?

Just a quick rough guesstimate but I'd wager that I've got at least double that in my shop not counting the building of course.

I hope those buying a new pickup don't frown on my choice of expenditures. Whatever floats your boat.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My Chevy 1994 Chevy is still going strong and hasn't cost me a fortune in payments. Do I need it? Just occasionally...

Comment

Just for a laugh- back in '72 my friend bought a Datsun- $2000 new. Before that he bought a Mustang, $2500 brand new. In '74 I bought a new Toyota Land Cruiser, $5800. In '94 I bought a Chevy van for $22000. More recently my friend bought a Dodge ram for some insane price. He has to sell it now because he can't afford it. He makes above $35/hr. and works full time plus.

I've just been told that my house is now worth more than one million, 1.2 apparently. Nothing special about this place, though it is a corner lot. A cup of coffee was 10 cents when I first remember- now a latte at Starbucks is over $5.

I had my own place (rented) when I was making under $2/hr. My neighbors house, which is very similar to mine, is now rented out at $2600/mo.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                            No pickup is worth $75k, especially a Chevy. But if you got money to piss away....
                            You go that right !

JL.............

Comment

Some people just have to have the latest and greatest whether they "need" it or not. Witness all the 4x4, crew cab, diesel engined pickups out there that never have more than bags of mulch or some plywood in their bed. A lot of people buy on image, even more buy on what they can squeeze out of their never considered family finances for a monthly payment.

That being said, my best friend (we have been friends since there was only 48 states) goes through vehicles like they where candy. He probably buys a new (or rarely a used) vehicle every year on average. I kid him about never having to shop for new tires in decades. For him it's the thrill of the chase (shopping and negotiating) as much as anything. His next vehicle purchase adventure starts as he drives the latest vehicle off the lot.

Comment

My 1989 Toyota 4WD pickup cost me $3100 when I bought it in 2005. It had a cap which got smushed by a tree, and it's in rough shape, but still runs OK. I don't worry about somebody scratching or denting it on a parking lot. And I am not jealous of people (mostly guys) who drive big shiny new 4WD mini-monster trucks that mostly belong to the bank. I do think it is a shame that so many people are truly struggling just to pay rent, food, and medical bills, with important service jobs that often don't even pay a minimum $15/hr wage, while many others are highly compensated for meaningless jobs or "earn" money from what amounts to legal betting on the stock market. Such inequities cause an instability and dangerous condition in society analogous to those that perpetuated revolutions in France and Russia.
                                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                                X