Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC? $75,000 pickup cost per mile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

................ What relevance is it that 2:1 is not an order of magnitude? Did anyone claim it was an order of magnitude?
    You have some compulsion to be an ass.

The relevance is that the difference to a current F-150 seems to be less than to yours, and even yours is not 2x this one. That is, not so huge. Or were you talking about your F-250?

The Ranger is so close to a midrange F150, and even exceeds the lower end in some specs (no idea of the Silverado)....so per the OP, it must be really really important to the OP's neighbor to pay more than 3x the cost of the Ranger to get a top-line Silverado instead of Ranger or F-150 (I don't blame him for not getting a Colorado, they suck.)

Seems like a case of "I ain't gonna be seen in a lower end truck"
    Last edited by J Tiers; 02-26-2022, 12:55 AM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I love it when you talk about pickup trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
        I love it when you talk about pickup trucks.
        Especially when some in on the conversation seem to know very little of what they are talking about. I guess it’s par for the course for some on this forum.

Comment

I do not know much about pickup trucks but when I read of a towing capacity of 18 tons that does cause a slight eyebrow lifting.

Comment

I thought a Silverado was a trim package.
            Like the Cheyanne ?
            And the Scottsdale ?
            I know trucks by 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.
            Chevy guys like to name everything,
            Even the order codes.
            Goootttta 20000 Chevy Silverado z74 off road, step side, 4 wheel, heych dee....
            Ridiculous.

-D
            DZER

Comment

My gross weight was real close to 18 tons here…..and yes, I was overloaded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6EC1CCE-5488-43D8-8B17-ECDAE91581B2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1988802

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                I thought a Silverado was a trim package.
                It was a trim level in the C/K series. Now, it's the name of the current series.

Comment

C’mon Doozer, haven’t you heard of Lariat and King Ranch Fords?

Comment

And THAT is why I buy USED trucks! Well over 100,000 miles on my latest one and going strong. And the $$$ difference is in my bank account.

As for the per mile cost, you take the price and add all the operating and repair costs then subtract any sale amount and divide by the number of miles. That is probably the easiest math we will ever see here. Or was the original question just asking for an estimate.

But the total cost was probably the last thing from his mind.

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                    My neighbor works in an office. He said he NEEDED a pickup and bought a $75,000 Silverado. I wonder if any of the members on this forum have ever figured ,what it would cost to drive a truck like this? When I entered the work force in the 60s,entree level pickups cost$1999. Edwin Dirnbeck
                    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-26-2022, 01:42 AM.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      The Ranger is so close to a midrange F150, and even exceeds the lower end in some specs (no idea of the Silverado)....so per the OP, it must be really really important to the OP's neighbor to pay more than 3x the cost of the Ranger to get a top-line Silverado instead of Ranger or F-150 (I don't blame him for not getting a Colorado, they suck.)
                      Are you comparing tow capacity or payload capacity between the Ranger and the F-150 series.
                      Tow capacity really comes down to stopping ability unless you're towing a trailer with electric brakes or well maintained surge brakes.

Comment

I retired a 1979 Toyota Hilux 2 wheel drive a couple years ago due to being almost totally rusted out. I bought it for $500 about 20 years ago for one of my sons who didn’t like it so I used it as a daily driver. It proved unbelievably useful for a multitude of projects. It was economical to operate and being a mechanic It didn’t cost much for maintenance and is also the reason it stayed on the road for so many years. I never found a reason to get a larger truck as this one did the job for pretty much anything I threw at it.
                        I really wish the auto industry would bring back the mini pickup truck like the one I had. I see Hyundai has a small truck now that is quite attractive but a bit pricey if you get the upper model (4x4).
                        It makes me laugh to see these high priced trucks today, especially the 4 door models. Way back you couldn’t give away those crew cab trucks and now that’s all you can get but these big monstrosities are the manufacturers bread and butter.
                        Well, enough of my belly aching ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Are you comparing tow capacity or payload capacity between the Ranger and the F-150 series.
                          Tow capacity really comes down to stopping ability unless you're towing a trailer with electric brakes or well maintained surge brakes.
                          There is overlap between the Ranger and the F-150 in both, if I read Ford's lists correctly. The lower end F-150 (and possibly the Chevy Silverado) do in some cases seem to have LOWER ratings than the upper end Ranger.

Physical size wise, the newer trucks of all brands seem all to be as big as the next larger size used to be.

Over 3500# you need trailer brakes anyway, at least in MO, so braking is less of an issue. The 7500# rating would then be with trailer brakes and a separate hitch package.

I originally missed that Tomato Puree had an F-250 (not an F-150), which the upper end F-150 may overlap with, but the F-250 is obviously much larger than either the F-150 or Ranger, with ratings to match.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 02-26-2022, 04:32 PM.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

It's been a long winter hasn't it. Everyone needs to go outside and DO something.

Between arguments about some clown none of you know or will ever meet buying a Silverado and some youtuber that got a new import lathe from an importer that gets machines from Asia and choosing sides over whether 3D printing is a valid topic of discussion here. There evidently isn't enough things to keep people busy enough out there.

Just how much skin is coming off of anyone's backside if a stranger spends $75,000 on a pickup truck? Unless people here are making the monthly payments for him, who cares? So what if he just let's it sit in a driveway and just polishes it on Sunday afternoons. And arguing about it being to big? Do any of you get the irony about complaining about how big it is? After all the "always buy the biggest (insert machine under discussion here) threads on this forum. And the sack cloth and ashes posturing about "my pickup is smaller and older than yours" bragging.

Who cares where a lathe comes from and how big the swing is and the distance between centers as long as the buyer is happy with it? Who here is going to spent 50 hours a week making chips with it? Why should anyone care what kind of deal that youtuber got on it? Again, are you paying for it? If you think some newbie needs to warned about it, you are going to be really busy telling lots of people about it. Perhaps spending less time watching videos and more time in the shop making something might be a better choice.

Find something more valuable to do.
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

We could all perhaps do better and be kinder to others by just reporting our successes and failures in a factual way and leaving our biases in our overall pockets.
                              There is often no" Right answer fits everyone in all circumstances"
                              What to one man appears extravagant and expensive may be regarded as an everyday expense of another fellows life.
                              Both of them may get an equal amount of pleasure from their Home Shops.
                              Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                                There is overlap between the Ranger and the F-150 in both, if I read Ford's lists correctly.
                                Technically, you're (half) correct. Your Ranger has a bigger payload than the F150 Raptor, an off-road racing truck. But the Raptor has more towing capacity, and every other configuration of F150 has both higher payload and higher towing capacity.

Comment

Working...
                                X