Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC? $75,000 pickup cost per mile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
    What to one man appears extravagant and expensive may be regarded as an everyday expense of another fellows life.
    This right here.
    I know people that cant afford a 200 dollar car, and i know people that can walk in a write a personal check for a high end pickup.
    Who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post

Just how much skin is coming off of anyone's backside if a stranger spends $75,000 on a pickup truck? Unless people here are making the monthly payments for him, who cares? So what if he just let's it sit in a driveway and just polishes it on Sunday afternoons. And arguing about it being to big? Do any of you get the irony about complaining about how big it is? After all the "always buy the biggest (insert machine under discussion here) threads on this forum. And the sack cloth and ashes posturing about "my pickup is smaller and older than yours" bragging.

Who cares where a lathe comes from and how big the swing is and the distance between centers as long as the buyer is happy with it? Who here is going to spent 50 hours a week making chips with it? Why should anyone care what kind of deal that youtuber got on it? Again, are you paying for it? If you think some newbie needs to warned about it, you are going to be really busy telling lots of people about it. Perhaps spending less time watching videos and more time in the shop making something might be a better choice.

Find something more valuable to do.
      Generally, none f us care what someone's neighbor does, or their second cousin's daughter's current boyfriend's best friend does either.

But, come-on, 'fess up.... We USE the capacity of our machines, and sometimes exceed it. Anyone who has not had an issue due to their lathe or mill being too small just has not had it happen YET. The day is probably coming (unless you already have a 24x 100 lathe and a big K&T).

So we can all snicker about some dude we have never heard of who works n an office and just bought a truck that can tow a trailer that carries 2 or three other cars, and not feel that we are hypocritical. Odds are he didn't NEED it, and will never use all that capacity, and meanwhile is paying for all the extra diesel it burns.

But, maybe he races, or does demolition derby cars. WE don;t know. But everyone knows it's more fun to be snarky than to be "understanding".
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
        It's been a long winter hasn't it. Everyone needs to go outside and DO something.

Just how much skin is coming off of anyone's backside if a stranger spends $75,000 on a pickup truck?

Do you suppose all this pissin in the wind would have got started if the guy had bought a $75000 sedan??

LG
        no neat sig line

near Salem OR

Comment

Hmm? I never look at a vehicle as an investment or any more potential than just a motor vehicle.

I am used to buying used vehicles so they were always fun. Meaning they needed work. I learned how to do the work.

Trucks.. I didnt want to bring up the F-350, dual. here. Fifth wheel. It is a Locomotive. Brakes are what separates the trucks. JR

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post

Do you suppose all this pissin in the wind would have got started if the guy had bought a $75000 sedan??

LG
            no neat sig line
            I think Doozer would have been even more correct...............
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

LG
              no neat sig line
              Yes! The 90k German U-boat with twelve speaker sound, heat and massage chairs, even more moronic than the equivalent spent on a pickup. At least you can still put two yards of soil in the bed of a 90k truck, the U-boat will never haul anything more than golf clubs in the trunk.

Comment

LG
                no neat sig line
                That is a good question, because in my mind, a pickup is primarily a working vehicle that will get beaten on until it's scrap. A sedan, not so much.

Nowadays people are buying trucks as a status symbol to show solidarity with the working class,
                when the working class can't even afford them.
                The entire situation is a sick joke foisted off on the American people by the marketing department.
                But nobody will begrudge the truly wealthy from their $400k Bentley. That is a different thing altogether.

Viewed in that way, the Silverado company truck at work is a POS because instead of making the thing cheap and easy to repair, they piled feature upon breakage-prone features. Which we don't want, need, or use. What we need is extreme heavy duty, such as solid axles and a bare minimum of wiring. No plastic door handles to snap off in extreme cold weather. Heavier-gauge sheet metal. etc. gee, sorta just like the old trucks .....
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

That is a good question, because in my mind, a pickup is primarily a working vehicle that will get beaten on until it's scrap. A sedan, not so much.

Nowadays people are buying trucks as a status symbol to show solidarity with the working class,
                  when the working class can't even afford them.
                  The entire situation is a sick joke foisted off on the American people by the marketing department.
                  But nobody will begrudge the truly wealthy from their $400k Bentley. That is a different thing altogether.

Viewed in that way, the Silverado company truck at work is a POS because instead of making the thing cheap and easy to repair, they piled feature upon breakage-prone features. Which we don't want, need, or use. What we need is extreme heavy duty, such as solid axles and a bare minimum of wiring. No plastic door handles to snap off in extreme cold weather. Heavier-gauge sheet metal. etc. gee, sorta just like the old trucks .....
                  Hang on Nick.. In my humble Opine. We, us folks and the members here. already know this. What did you think when you wrote the piece? We live the same profile. life as you MR.. Just the way it is. JR

Comment

It's not just big, expensive "luxury pickup trucks" (what an oxymoron), but also the obnoxiously loud little sports cars that I hear speeding up and down Warren Road. And the guys that dig extreme speed (173 MPH!) on I-83, and motorcycles that weave in and around traffic in a reckless and dangerous manner. The same thing might be said for some speed boaters, and off-road vehicles tearing up the wilderness just for kicks. And also the trucks with "Jake brakes" and "Prius repellent" exhaust systems. Or the guys who spend $5000 on a set of fancy rims for their Jeep, or suspension kits to make their cars jump. Much of this behavior is rooted in deep frustration and lack of self-esteem, often caused by dysfunctional family situations, hated jobs, failed relationships, drug abuse, and mental illness.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                      C’mon Doozer, haven’t you heard of Lariat and King Ranch Fords?
                      Don't mean shlt to me.
                      I care about the ton series,
                      gas or diesel
                      and does it have a manual transmission
                      so I can go up hills.
                      Don't care about the radio or the leather.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

I don't see the issue with someone buying a $75,,000 pickup.

Maybe to this guy 75 G is like 75 hundred, 750, or even 75 bucks to some of us here.
                        Perhaps after 40 or 50 years of busting his ass for the man he wants to pamper himself and live out his dream of having a nice truck before he checks out in the next 20 years.

Big deal, more power to him.
                        I hope it will be everything to him that he had hoped for, enjoy buddy.

I know several guys that have pickups that are well over 100 big ones, ( mind you these are Canadian mini -bucks) but still lots of coin for a truck. These particular guys have worked with pickups as contractors all of their lives and have beat up their trucks or fleets of trucks all of their lives, even when times were tough for them and they could barely afford to keep those trucks serviced and on the job. I know they didn't like beating up trucks that they could not afford but they did what they had to do to put bread and butter on the table of their crew and themselves.

Now finally the yoke has come off and they can afford to purchase a truck with all the bells and whistles that they do not have to beat the crap out of anymore.
                        Enjoy life while you can and don't be too judgmental about what others do with their money.
                        Last edited by Willy; 02-27-2022, 02:53 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling errors.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

When people spend their own money on $75000 trucks or boats it really is not my business.The problem is most people are borrowing money to do this. There seems to be a mad buying frenzy going on rite now. It is no just TOYS. Home prices are even more crazy. It was none of my business back in 2008,when ALLMOST anybody could buy $300,000 house,even if you didnt have a job. But then The whole thing collapsed . Big banks and wall street came running to ME a tax payer to bail them out Whats a guy to do? Say your piece and go out to my shop and build something..Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                            When people spend their own money on $75000 trucks or boats it really is not my business.
                            Then why did you start a thread about it?

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                              Then why did you start a thread about it?
                              Too cold to go outside and yell at clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post

If nobody bought shiny new 4WD trucks, the factories would close and the workers would lose their jobs.
                                And I wouldn't have much of a choice of less than shiny used 4WD trucks to chose from in my quest for something that I can afford. Keeping the economy rolling. It's an expensive job, but somebody(else) gotta do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X