Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC? $75,000 pickup cost per mile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    My neighbor works in an office. He said he NEEDED a pickup and bought a $75,000 Silverado. I wonder if any of the members on this forum have ever figured ,what it would cost to drive a truck like this? When I entered the work force in the 60s,entree level pickups cost$1999. Edwin Dirnbeck
    First of all that $75,000 Silverado is not an entry level pickup. The base price of a 2021 Chevy Silverado is $28,195. This $75K luxury vehicle is more like a Cadillac with a pickup bed instead of a trunk. Your neighbor bought a Cadillac, not an entry level vehicle. They did not make luxury trucks in the 1960's but they did make Cadillac's and they cost a lot back then compared to most cars and trucks. In a 1960 truck, a/c was rare or maybe not even an option, let alone GPS, AM/FM/SAT radio with Blue tooth, heated seats, etc. Most 1960's vehicles were shot after 5 years. You were lucky to get 100,000 miles and if you got there you paid for a tune up every 12,000 miles, oil change every 3,000 miles, regular brake adjustments, front end and head light alignments, and all sorts of other repairs. Modern vehicles are just getting broken in at 100,000 miles when they need their first tune up.

Comment

Towing capacity is a lot more than just brakes. I have had the pleasure of towing large trailers with an in-line six and it left a lot to be desired. The engine survived but I had a big bill for a transmission rebuild.

The trailers did have electric brakes and stopping was not a problem. I don't think it is legal to tow a large trailer if it does not have brakes, in most states anyway. I did stick to 60 mph or less.

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Are you comparing tow capacity or payload capacity between the Ranger and the F-150 series.
      Tow capacity really comes down to stopping ability unless you're towing a trailer with electric brakes or well maintained surge brakes.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Superbowl View Post

Most 1960's vehicles were shot after 5 years. You were lucky to get 100,000 miles and if you got there you paid for a tune up every 12,000 miles, oil change every 3,000 miles, regular brake adjustments, front end and head light alignments, and all sorts of other repairs.
        I'm calling BS on this. The 60's vehicles (and 70's) hat I have owned went considerably farther than 100k and lasted an average of 17 years. This is in the Rust Belt. Brake adjustments only happened when you got a brake job, headlight adjustments were done by the manufacturer or dealer before you bought it, and a tune-up for $8 every year was trivially easy to do.

Oil every 3500 miles was and still is good sense. Oil 1x a year is a great way to kill the vehicle despite manufacturers claims, ask any mechanic. People are getting soft nowadays, is the problem.

IMHO the only real improvement since then has been electronic ignition. Everything else has been cheapened into disposable and unrepairable crap. It does me no favors to keep piling unwanted "features" on top of overpriced stamped-tin garbage like they do nowadays. It sure makes the car companies rich, though.

I've had to buy a new car every 6 or 7 years lately because you can't fix the damn things any more, they rust out in that time frame, and you can't afford to have the dealer or the body shop do it. And that is BS. My last "old" car (1970 chevy) had ~200K on the clock when I finally sold it in 1998. A local drag racer bought it.
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 02-28-2022, 05:44 AM.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I'd say 90% of people who drive pickups don't need one. Also modern pickups look like total carp, oversized obese behemoths. Gimme a 1980s Datsun/Toyota/Mazda/Isuzu pickup over any of these monsters with blindspots so huge you need viewscreens inside so you don't run into other cars or over people.

Comment

Men really are funny creatures.
            Last edited by Jonesy; 02-28-2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
              Men really are funny creatures.
              And they get funnier as they get older ...

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                I don't see the issue with someone buying a $75,,000 pickup.

Maybe to this guy 75 G is like 75 hundred, 750, or even 75 bucks to some of us here.

This. who cares what some else does with their dough? Does it make anyone's day better fretting about it? These big truck with expensive trim packages are keeping the NA auto industry alive.

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

So where would we be if all be if folks quit spending money on $75k trucks, $1.million yachts, $100k vacations, $750,000 vacation homes, $100,000 RVs, or private planes?

Just the outdoor leisure economy in US alone represented almost $375 Billion a year in 2021.

Hey, if you want to spend your money, go spend it, enjoy your truck. I know many folks who build, sell, and service $100,000 plus pickup trucks. Those jobs keep a lot of folks' families fed.
                  S E Michigan

Comment

While I don't build many fixtures for those pickup trucks I build lots for the other cars and vehicles the Na auto makers build, and considering the profit margins on those trucks and SUVs are what keep the doors open, I'm glad they make em and sell every single one of them.

I ain't buying one though . Well, maybe in a few years I might need a new truck as the earth slowly reclaims mine, but only after someone else has taken the depreciation hit.

Comment

I have had Full Size Pickups for years,owned 1 car 40yrs ago and that’s off my Bucket List lol! I do use them for hauling weight and some towing my ,my newest one 2018 Chev 3500 HD SRW with Gas engine.As DennisCA mentioned newer ones are kinda Large in the body area.Also have had only one short box and it won’t happen again,8’ box is what suits my needs.
                      Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 02-28-2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                        I don't see the issue with someone buying a $75,,000 pickup.

Maybe to this guy 75 G is like 75 hundred, 750, or even 75 bucks to some of us here.
                        Perhaps after 40 or 50 years of busting his ass for the man he wants to pamper himself and live out his dream of having a nice truck before he checks out in the next 20 years.

Big deal, more power to him.
                        I hope it will be everything to him that he had hoped for, enjoy buddy.

I know several guys that have pickups that are well over 100 big ones, ( mind you these are Canadian mini -bucks) but still lots of coin for a truck. These particular guys have worked with pickups as contractors all of their lives and have beat up their trucks or fleets of trucks all of their lives, even when times were tough for them and they could barely afford to keep those trucks serviced and on the job. I know they didn't like beating up trucks that they could not afford but they did what they had to do to put bread and butter on the table of their crew and themselves.

Now finally the yoke has come off and they can afford to purchase a truck with all the bells and whistles that they do not have to beat the crap out of anymore.
                        Enjoy life while you can and don't be too judgmental about what others do with their money.
                        Ok Cool, I like your point of view.
                        If the guy earned his money the hard way, he deserves to buy a nice truck for himself.
                        BUT what if he buys an expensive truck, finances the whole thing so the bank really owns it,
                        works in an office playing with computers, never gets his hands dirty, tries to be in big man
                        at the office parking lot, buys those low profile sidewall tires and bling bling big rims to match,
                        lowers the rear, like so his truck nuts are so heavy, of yea... installs truck nuts on the trailer
                        hitch (which he never uses), installs those blue piercing headlights that are pointed in your
                        rear view because his rear is lowered, installs loud flap flap flap flap flap exhaust that sounds
                        like a machine gun inside an oil taker truck, oh yeah, he likes to roll coal every chance he
                        gets. Ya know, blow back diesel soot, especially on a Prius or a bicycle rider, Extra points
                        for coaling a recumbent bike rider, who always have their legs spread and their crotch wide
                        open in the air as they pedal. Of yea, the guy also wears a flat brim ball cap and had those
                        gauge hoops in his ear, because it is cool. Also has skull tattoos because, ink means instant
                        bad azzz. Right ? Tell me ? Is this guy the you see with these trucks ?
                        Well I don't know about you, but 90 percent of the trucks and dudes that own them
                        fit this description. I steer clear of the knuckleheads like that.
                        Stereotypes exist for a reason. Because there are so many knuckleheads acting them out.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Ok Cool, I like your point of view.
                          If the guy earned his money the hard way, he deserves to buy a nice truck for himself.
                          BUT what if he buys an expensive truck, finances the whole thing so the bank really owns it,
                          works in an office playing with computers, never gets his hands dirty, tries to be in big man
                          at the office parking lot, buys those low profile sidewall tires and bling bling big rims to match,
                          lowers the rear, like so his truck nuts are so heavy, of yea... installs truck nuts on the trailer
                          hitch (which he never uses), installs those blue piercing headlights that are pointed in your
                          rear view because his rear is lowered, installs loud flap flap flap flap flap exhaust that sounds
                          like a machine gun inside an oil taker truck, oh yeah, he likes to roll coal every chance he
                          gets. Ya know, blow back diesel soot, especially on a Prius or a bicycle rider, Extra points
                          for coaling a recumbent bike rider, who always have their legs spread and their crotch wide
                          open in the air as they pedal. Of yea, the guy also wears a flat brim ball cap and had those
                          gauge hoops in his ear, because it is cool. Also has skull tattoos because, ink means instant
                          bad azzz
                          . Right ? Tell me ? Is this guy the you see with these trucks ?
                          Well I don't know about you, but 90 percent of the trucks and dudes that own them
                          fit this description. I steer clear of the knuckleheads like that.
                          Stereotypes exist for a reason. Because there are so many knuckleheads acting them out.

-Doozer
                          The stereotypical pickup truck owner has skull tattoos and works in an office as a programmer? Damn.

Comment

Doozer I think you and I can both agree that guy deserves to be hit with lightning, preferably while sitting in that POS and hopefully with all of his peers watching as a lesson to the others.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                              The stereotypical pickup truck owner has skull tattoos and works in an office as a programmer? Damn.
                              Yup.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN_QuwR9p4
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKIsH0KhUmg

Comment

I’ve seen Doozer’s “guy”, but not in a “new” pickup.

My derision is reserved for the people who call “pickups” “trucks”.

There is a difference. 🙄

Comment

Working...
                                X