No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vocabulary

    On a mill, what's a "ram head"?

  • #2
    The "ram" refers to the part that slides back and forth, moving the spindle in a horizontal plane closer to / farther from the column. On a modern Bridgeport style mill, it's the dovetailed bit that sits on the turret. On older Bridgeports or lighter duty mills, it may be round instead of a dovetail.

    Edit - Since a picture is worth 1000 words:
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-02-2022, 09:47 PM.


    • #3
      Fasttrack has it. Small bench top mills don’t have this. It’s a trade off on the larger machines but it’s what helps make them “universal”, same as nod and tilt.

      One way to take advantage and use it to turn the turret so the spindle is no longer inline with the knee/saddle. You then move the ram out so the spindle is out farther than the edge of the table. You can then clamp long work pieces to the edge of the table and do work on the end of it. Example would be a bolt hole circle on the end of a shaft.

      I have never personally seen it but I have heard of some places having a pit dug into the floor so a considerably long work piece can go down into it.


      • #4
        Ram Head on this Mill is moved by turning the T handle with Brass Knobs,lock handles on each side of T handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	99F400D8-934E-4F34-97D4-F23FEA626DF9.png
Views:	223
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1989763


        • #5
          that Varnamo sure looks like a very capable machine...


          • #6
            It's an odd term. Spindle head is usual term, at least for usual arrangement on a Bridgeport or similar ram or overarm.


            • #7
              Some milling machines have no "IN and OUT" table motion. That movement is accomplished by extension and retraction of the head via the ram.

              Tilting tables can be fitted to this type of machine. Very useful for tooling or "engine" work.