Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    [QUOTE=alanganes;n1989927]This is a couple of views of the footplate of a wheelchair that is used by a friend's son:

" :This will hopefully be somewhat more robust than how it was before" Time will tell I guess:."

I Have to agree WTF!! Everyone needs a Bed. JR

Ooops. Sorry , the Soviet thing was in my head... Monday, cease fire. .. JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 03-06-2022, 04:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NiftyNev
    replied
    Perhaps the manufacturer should speak to you about improving their product. Probably should pay you a consultation fee as well.

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I cannot believe what the factory overlooked there - the leverage on that piece "was" unreal but not anymore!

Great fix Alanganes and good on you for helping the family out...
    Thanks.

Yes, it is sort of a dumb design. I only makes sense if you start from the assumption that it has to only support the static weight of the person's feet and legs and nothing more. Someone who cannot move their legs would not be standing on it to get in the chair. Of course there are people who need wheelchairs because they have endurance issues (one of my son's had this issue) so they would flip the plate up and back to get in the chair, then flip it down to rest their feet on. But if you have someone who presses down on the plate involuntarily, there is no way this arrangement would hold up. The guy who uses this one is an adult, 6' tall, and while he lacks good muscle control, he has no shortage of strength.

Thanks all for the kind words, it's a privilege to be able to help people out, really.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I cannot believe what the factory overlooked there - the leverage on that piece "was" unreal but not anymore!

Great fix Alanganes and good on you for helping the family out...

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by MGREEN View Post
    Bravo Alan !!
    It can be satisfying to use our years of accumulated home shop tools and
    machinery to help someone in need.

Well thought out and made , again Bravo !!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. Indeed it always feels good. I like doing stuff like this when the opportunity arises. I even used my die filer to clean up some of the edges on the bar!

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by MotorradMike View Post
    Nice job!
    Love the washer squasher.
    I'm sure they are both grateful every time he gets in the chair and has his legs supported.
    Thanks MMike and everyone else who chimed in here. I liked doing the Washer Squasher ( I think that should be followed by "TM") myself. I had not ever attempted something like that before and it worked out just right, which was at least partly dumb luck.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    very slick and good on you for helping out a neighbour. I was going to ask how you did the washers and then I saw the little die set, very neat!

Leave a comment:

• MGREEN
    replied
    Bravo Alan !!
    It can be satisfying to use our years of accumulated home shop tools and
    machinery to help someone in need.

Well thought out and made , again Bravo !!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by Georgineer View Post
    Great job, and very satisfying to do. In the UK we have a volunteer organization called REMAP which undertakes jobs like this for people. Is there anything similar in the States?

George
    I presume that there are similar organizations like that around. This was a situation where the woman simply relied on the supplier of the chair which is fairly new and still under warranty. It was not even a matter of being able to pay for a repair, I'm pretty sure that she could have. But she called the supplier and they took a look at the thing and left it to the manufacturer to deal with. Which would have been fine except that here it is 6 months later and they have done nothing. I would have fixed it a long time ago if she had mentioned it to us.

Somewhat ironically, she happened to mention to the dealer that she had a friend (me) who was going to take a look at it for her. He warned her that if I altered it in any way that it "would void the warranty..." She was fine with me doing whatever I felt best. I told her to ask them how much the warranty had helped her thus far.

One of my sons used a wheelchair for 10 years or so, and I ran into this sort of nonsense some with his. It's pretty absurd and infuriating.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Nice job! My dad had a heavy electric wheelchair and had trouble getting in and out. I fabricated a stainless ‘rollbar’ that attached to the frame near the front. With non slip grip material on the vertical part he could easily pull himself up and it gave him something to steady himself and swivel to get into bed. When people asked what it was for I told them it was rollbar for the nightly races to the dinner table.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    It is a great feeling to have been able to help somebody, and well thought out engineering, congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• MotorradMike
    replied
    Nice job!
    Love the washer squasher.
    I'm sure they are both grateful every time he gets in the chair and has his legs supported.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Nice, I recently lowered the foot rest on my daughters wheel chair which was lathe work.

Leave a comment:

• Georgineer
    replied
    Great job, and very satisfying to do. In the UK we have a volunteer organization called REMAP which undertakes jobs like this for people. Is there anything similar in the States?

George
    Last edited by Georgineer; 03-04-2022, 12:50 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Thank you for helping someone out, well done
    mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X