Magic Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Smoke

Yep! The magic smoke all leaked out of the motor on my shop air compressor. I decided it was an opportunity to get a little bit bigger one. Of course I'll order a motor for the old compressor so I can have it as a backup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220312_122210807.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	1991380
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

YAY! New tool day!
    Kansas City area

Comment

You “lucky duck”. I’d have a hard time getting that past the boss; -)

Comment

Not exactly something you can hide in the sock drawer, is it?
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Robg View Post
          You “lucky duck”. I’d have a hard time getting that past the boss; -)
          When I told her I was going to pick it up she started to hand me a credit card. I had already paid for it. I was literally just going to pick it up. SWMBO in my house is pretty darn reasonable when it comes to tools and equipment.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

She is a beaut. The ol Jin works magic huh? Let the smoke out and let the new one in.. Very nice.. JR

Comment

Sees a new tool... Huh? Oh, I've had that for 5 years...

Walks away wondering why she doesn't see things more often, or wonders if I'm bullshipping her.

Comment

I like the attitude "saw it as an opportunity", some people would be wailing and gnashing their teeth.

Comment

Well, its being quite the chore. I finally got it off the pallet and on its feet. Since its bigger, now I need to move a heavy steel top (not sheet metal) work bench. Of course its loaded top and bottom with stuff including a small mill drill. In order to move it I need to move the work bench next to it, also loaded, but atleast its only a heavy butcher block top. I'll need to set all new anchors as well. Now comes the wailing and gnashing of teeth. LOL. I have space after that though. Its just my drill press which I hardly ever use anymore, and it really can go anywhere.

Comment

There are so many problems that can be solved with judicious application of a 2x4 in the right spot. The drill press walked rightout, and the use of a piece of 2x4 has the butcher block bench moved over against an upright in the back wall gaining nearly a foot and a half. Even the heavy steel bench is has been moved about half the distance I have available for it. I'm debating if its more work to just keep levering or to remove the mill drill from the bench. The bench is plenty heavy on its own. 3 inch C channel top frame, and 1/4 inch steel plate top. Or maybe its easier to just sit here for a minute to and then get back out there and push.

You know I'm gonna go back out there with my 2x4 and give it another go. I'd have to move to much stuff to get a lift back by the bench now.

Comment

If you have something to push against, a Porta-Power is good. Push is low, not much "overturning moment", things don't get as disturbed on top as with the 2 x 4. (I use the 2 x 4 method a lot)
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

You know its funny. I have a generic porta power and I didn't even think if using it. The benches are moved. Now I'm looking through my bolt shelves for 1/2 inch redheads.

Broke my 2x4 and made me cry. You know those cost these days.
                        Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-12-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                          Broke my 2x4 and made me cry. You know those cost these days.
                          A Real Cheap Rat Bastard would have saved the pieces.

The Cheap Rat Bastards [CRB for short] are an ancient and venerable order of men and women who would cheerfully bend down, in the pouring rain, to pick up the lowest coin of their realm. Cheap Rat Bastards do not spend three cents where two is sufficient. Note that ones status as a CRB has nothing to do with ones net worth.

The Cheap Rat Bastards are believed to have originated in a pub in London, although there are those who will support, with great enthusiasm, alternate theories that the pub was a speak-easy in South Chicago, a bar in SoHo, New York, a restaurant in Paris and one weird tale involving a freighter anchored in Glacier Bay, a seaplane and an itemized bill. All of these, or course, are supported by equally suspect "Hell, I Was There" style "journalism".

The only thing the various origin theories have in common is one item that is such a precise fit that it casts a light air of possibility over the rest of the tale: they all say that someone else was buying the food and drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammer Six View Post

ks.
                            Hmmm? I always thought they were calling me a Cheap Rotten Bastard. CRB... They probably were. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jammer Six View Post
                              I have not thrown them out yet. In fact I finished the job with the longer of the two pieces after it split. So wadda ya think? Titebond III and dowel pins?

I do have a steel straight pick with a tapered lever/lift bar end. It will lift some seriously heavy stuff, but sometimes a 2x4 is still the better tool for the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X