Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal milling cutter question???

Hey guys!
    Have to get to work but I have to ask this while I'm thinking of it.
    In the KBC catalog they have (page 100) Plain milling cutters "heavy duty" and plain milling cutters "helical".
    The helical cutters have less teeth for a given size (I'm looking at a 3"X6") and are considerably more money.
    The cutters look almost the same in the pics.
    What am I missing?
    It just dawned on me that I don't even know what rotation my mill is supposed to spin.
    As it was setup there is no reverese so I'm assuming that it turns in the direction of a normal milling cutter.
    Geez...so much to learn and so little time!
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

The helical cutter is more work to make but is less likely to chatter.If you turn the cutter around it can be run in reverse.

Comment

Dont forget the "any two wires" rule about 3 Phase.Mine rotates CCW Ken, errr I mean Russ.

Comment

The helical (slabbing) cutters are great, if your job can use them.

Plain milling cutters bang badly starting the cut.

It is hard to keep 2 teeth or more in the work if work is thin.

Cutting force is high because they have to "plow" up the chip at full cutting speed.

Chips are smaller.

Helical cutters have such a steep angle that there will usually be two or more teeth in contact if the work is reasonably wide.

They don't bang as the cut starts, due to the steep angle.

The steep angle reduces cutting force because of the shearing action.

The swarf tends to be in the form of long rolled-up 'spindles" instead of small chips.

It is pretty much like the difference between cutting thin metal with a coarse vs a fine tooth saw blade.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

If I have the option on cutters, I always buy the staggered tooth and helical type. The straight tooth cutters are bears to use, until they get well into the cut.
          Harry

Comment

Russ,mill rotation is simple,you need both,reversing relays or at least a drum switch.
            The ability to run in both directions greatly expands your options of cutters,boring tools etc.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

With some H mills you can reverse them with a control. My KT reverses with a T handle. In is right-hand (CW) out is left-hand (CCW). I haven't used the Van Norman enough to remember. Both have oil pumps, so you can only run the motor one way.

Paul

Comment

get a VFD , hit reverse button.

Comment

Perfect idea.

Originally posted by thistle
                  get a VFD , hit reverse button.
                  I think he just wants to get it running before he puts a ton of $ in it.
                  I could be wrong.

Comment

Guys...this post got lost but I found it....thanks for the info.
                    So it looks like the KBC catalogue is wrong then. The pics of the two wide cutters are almost the same.
                    I was also wondering about the staggered tooth cutters. So they are smoother to use? I'm assuming so(thanks Harry)
                    Darin, This thing has a tapered tooth drive dog that seems to jump out if it's spun in reverse. I'm not sure yet if it's just from wear or if it was ever meant to run that way. I've now determined that it turns CCW so any standard cutter will work.
                    I'll get a pic of the drivers later in the week.
                    Russ
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                    X