Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT... .....People who use a Mac or Linux.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT... .....People who use a Mac or Linux.....

It's about time it was said,

People who use a Mac or Linux..... do so because they can't use a PC with Windows.

Let's stop beating about the bush. Just admit it. They ain't up to it. Windows is simply too sophisticated for some people.

Nope.... Windows bites.... the one and only problem is that a vast amount of software has not been ported to linux. If it were not for that, many folks would use linux who do not now.

Linux is almost certainly a better technical solution.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Feel like doing some trolling today eh?
      Good luck,
      Jon

Comment

WINDOWS, the operating system written to allow computer illiterates to use a computer for something other than a paper weight

Comment

I switched from Windows to Linux a couple of years ago. I now know both pretty well, and don't plan to switch back. I haven't found anything yet that I could do on Windows that I can't do as well or better on Linux, though it is sometimes less intuitive.

It's true that some of my old Windows apps don't have Linux versions, but so far, I've found substitutes, and they are usually free.

Ed
          For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post

People who use a Mac or Linux..... do so because they can't use a PC with Windows.

Let's stop beating about the bush. Just admit it. They ain't up to it. Windows is simply too sophisticated for some people.
            The key to good trolling is subtlety.

Comment

I switched to chainsaw bar oil for my windows and now I can't see anything.

Comment

I've used them all. IMHO, the Apple OS is the worst of the bunch - I've never seen such a primitive OS (at least not until I think back to DOS 3.1). I have some iPads that are simply junk. I can't count how many times I wanted to throw the iPad POS's against something hard.

Comment

WHAT BS!!!! I've built my own window machines and use them at work. I like Mac's they work with my iPhone and my Apple Watch. Not better, not the same as windows, I just like it and that's enough.

Comment

I thought that forum rules did not allow discussions of one's religion.

Comment

I spent over 40 years writing software for (first CPM, then DOS, then) Windows and Linux. I'm pretty familiar with both of them, from the inside out. My main task at my last employer was rewriting a major commercial application from Windows to Linux, for the sake of reliability, freedom from forced unnecessary updates, efficiency, privacy of the customer's data, ability to maintain low level access to custom hardware, and finally, the licensing costs which add up for a very large number of systems.

Personally, I only use Windows, in desperation, for a single application that is not available in Linux.
                      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

This thread goes a long ways towards explaining what I've seen in other threads.

Comment

Lol.. Linux for me was a game changer. We wanted to play with cnc in our hobby shop. This was early 2000's... The K&T was running the original 60's control. Germanium transistors - racks and racks of circuit boards. I actually started writing a machine control in fast basic? I don't remember. It did exact stop motion (G1,G2 and G3) - when I was trying to figure out how to then make it do some sort of 'constant velocity' motion - my brain exploded.
                          Enter turbocnc. I actually bought the source code. It didn't have constant velocity either - but it did show us that it was possible for a computer to run a cnc. At the same time - dad found a article on Emc (what linuxcnc was called eons ago) I thought 'ugh - linux'. I downloaded the BDI (emc1 Brain dead install) and installed it to play around.

wow - Ok 2005 I took the plunge..

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linux...976-forum.html

I played with emc1 for a bit and got on IRC - learned they were working on EMC2.. I had to 'gasp' download the repository and build it on my BDI install. The emc developers were awesome and really helped me understand linux. Emc2 eventually created a livecd based on ubuntu.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linux...6-06-emc2.html

(walk down memory lane)

Emc2 (linuxcnc) was a what really opened my eyes to what linux could do. Realtime kernel? yes please. It was fiddly back then and I certainly found bugs. The developers were very responsive to my 'testing'. This was my first exposure to open source and how it all works. One of the biggest changes with EMC2 was HAL or the hardware abstraction layer. This is the interface between the motion/interpreter/gui and the hardware. This all ran realtime. So you had access in the computer to the real-time subsystem. (this is normally done with external motion controllers like smoothstepper). We setup a test system (gantry router) that really opened our eyes on what linuxcnc could do.

The K&T 60's vintage controller smoked. It was time.
                          We set out to convert the K&T to linuxcnc and the rest is history. The machine can do things the original designers could only dream of. It is my go-to machine when I am working on a project. we have converted atleast 4 other machines to linuxcnc. It 'just works'

So. when I started playing with linuxcnc - I set my laptop to dual boot windows and linux. After a few months I noticed that I didn't go into windows at all anymore.

With the realtime bits being in the computer - you have really low level access.. On a whim I created a realtime component that looks at spindle position and moves the axis to create shapes. This was all done within the linuxcnc HAL layer.

Making a square an a lathe? Sure!

The knowledge I have gained has also helped my 'day job' Our file servers are all running linux. (we have a windows, macs and linux machines all connecting to them) Our virtualization is proxmox vs VMware that would have costed $$... Lots more too.. (security cameras running on linux and so on)

sam
                          Last edited by skunkworks; 03-23-2022, 11:14 PM.

Comment

ignorance is bliss!

Comment

Working...
                            X