Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixture for holding parts at an angle in the milling vise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a set of angle blocks from lee valley, and they've been really handy over the years. I checked them all out on the CMM (as well as sine bar/indicator) back when I got them, and I don't remember exactly, but recall they were pretty much bang one throughout the entire set. Can't guarantee they'd still be like that from there, but it's a pretty handy set to have.

Re, my blocks, I don't think they're all that accurate in the absolute sense, but my needs are more about relative accuracy. I'll need 20 blocks that have various different features on 20* angles, so I whip up a quick n dirty block like that, so that I can hold them all repeatably to machine the rest of the features I need. If the angle is out a bit is not really an issue in the grand scheme of things as long as they're all the same. I usually use my angle blocks if the angle is a nice round #, but if not then the sine bar comes out. I've always wanted to make one like yours with pins, but every time I take the time to make a universal fixture for something, the next time I need it, it wont' fit the project lol. Never fails.

I'm in the middle of designing and building a 4th axis trunnion table (in my "spare time") for work, that will hold a 6" vise, so that in the future I don't need to make these anymore. Moving up in the world .

Comment

....but every time I take the time to make a universal fixture for something, the next time I need it, it wont' fit the project lol. Never fails......
      I read and feel your pain... That's part of why I like the idea that it was a 10 to 15 minute build for that little "drill for pins as needed" plate. If it doesn't happen to work out for next time then at least I didn't spend hours making something that only has limited usefulness.

I like how you took a pragmatic approach to the angle saddle too. We often don't need to put the time into super accuracy when it's only consistency that we really need. A nice pragmatic way to look at it.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
      X