ER Colletts for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER Colletts for beginners

ER Colletts are probably the most common tool attaching system in the universe.
    I clean up my ESX25 collett set from Schaublin.
    Now, I used an ultrasonic cleaner for this, Since an ultrasonic cleaner might not be the first choise for workshop tooling, I would like to hear about other methods of cleaning these.
    Dishwasher maybe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	00_title.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	1996330 Click image for larger version

Name:	Forumshot1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	1996328 Click image for larger version

Name:	Forumshot2.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	1996329

There is also a video in which I talk about these.

great explanation i wondered about proper way to insert collets, now i know

Comment

What's wrong about using the ultrasonic? I think it would do a much better job than a dishwasher.
      Paul A.
      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        What's wrong about using the ultrasonic?
        Of course the ultrasonic does a great job. However, not everyone has one available. Therefore I am after alternative ways to clean these.
        Pressure washer ?

Comment

Do you live close to the North Pole? Asking for a friend!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

I think he may be my long-lost brother/cousin/son/uncle

George

Comment

Hmmm.......... Cleaning ER collets is something I don't recall ever having a special need for. My ER collet use is only for holding tool shanks so I haven't seen much if any debris collecting in the slots. If they were full of chips I suppose I'd use a blast of air to do the job. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                Hmmm.......... Cleaning ER collets is something I don't recall ever having a special need for. My ER collet use is only for holding tool shanks so I haven't seen much if any debris collecting in the slots. If they were full of chips I suppose I'd use a blast of air to do the job. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
                I used ER collets all the time when working at a CNC shop. Chips and coolant almost always get in the slots. Likely more a problem with flood coolant. When setting up a job I always spent a few minutes blowing and scraping chips out of collets, often stuck with dried coolant., and cleaned them when I was done. That was one of the major uses of the six inch rule I keep in an apron pocket. Few of my co-workers were so careful. Many of the collets were pock marked from chips. Ultrasonic cleaning may be a good idea if you have the time, or it may be overkill if you give the collets a good blow and brush before you put them away, and before the coolant dries. YMMV.

Comment

If the slots have chips wedged into place I can't see just cleaning being good at removing them. I think Randy's thin ruler would be a handy thing to have if the air blast didn't do the trick. I've only just started using the ER set I've got. I'll have to check the slots before putting them away. If nothing else I learned that today....
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                    That was one of the major uses of the six inch rule I keep in an apron pocket..
                    I also noticed that some of the collets had chips wedged in there. Most of them came out just by knocking them but there were some really stubborn ones.
                    In the future I will pay more attention to those.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                      Magnetic or geological ?
                      It's still quite far away from where I live, about 3270 km (2031 miles).

It does not rescue me from being asked to "do a favor ... every year. About 40 years ago, when I had this very long (down to hips) and black hair, nobody was asking ...

Originnaly the Finnish santa was grey and had a very bad temper. It was the Coca Cola ad campaign that changet the color and attitude

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joulupukki.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	1996500
                      Last edited by FinnoUgric; 04-11-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I had formed a habit of blowing off collets and nuts with a blast of compressed air.. about 40 years ago ;-)

I usually wipe down and lube collets when returning them to the storage box or rack. I always examine a collet setup when assembling for any task.

One thing that was missing in the fine video presentation is the EXTREMELY high torque spec for the ER closing nut. My guess is that only about 2% of setups ever get snugged up "to spec".

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                          One thing that was missing in the fine video presentation is the EXTREMELY high torque spec for the ER closing nut. My guess is that only about 2% of setups ever get snugged up "to spec".
                          Yes, I see figures in the neighborhood of 100 lb-ft for ER32's. To get that with the typical laser cut flat wrench with its sharp corners, you're gonna need to wrap a rag or two around the handle and pull with both hands, with a foot against the workbench. I'm sure I rarely got there, but then experience shows that it doesn't seem necessary for, say, a 1/2" EM cutting aluminum.

Comment

I use a 6" scale, or brass bristle brush +air blast and solvent bath to clean er collets. Depending on how badly they're gunky (dried coolant etc). Always wanted to try the ultrasonic, but haven't got around to it. Never thought to use the dishwasher though. That's for motorcycle parts .
                            Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 04-12-2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

For er25 collets, we have two spanners with 12" long handles, the original spanners are nowhere near long enough. The collet spanner is simply a standard one with an oval section steel tube extension hammered on.
                              Ultrasonic cleaning is an excellent way of getting the grease and swarf out of those hard to reach parts. I have used them since the mid 60's, and when I worked with aircraft oxygen equipment, my firm had a small one which we used with trichloroethane III, it had a very low boiling point, that needed fume extraction.
                              Last edited by old mart; 04-12-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎