Uses for car stereo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for car stereo amp

In a liquidation store the other day where they have several car stereo amps for sale. 450 watts stated power- no other descriptions that I could read. $15 each. They are new, in original box. I'm trying to think of any alternative uses for such a thing. Any ideas?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Shop stereo!!
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Just do not expect to get 450 watts out of them!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
        What? You don’t think the little conductors could handle it? ;D

I suppose one could rig up a vibratory cleaner of some kind. Leave off the PSU filtering and pop in a capacitor of just the right size to get a phase shift between the speakers.

Or maybe stick one out in the woods with a motion detector and a battery. Great for Halloween I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
          Probably wrong.

I expect it can produce 450 watts. We already know it has a boost converter in it, producing a higher voltage so that it can produce anywhere even close to that. So the "capability" is there

The right questions are "for how long?", and "what do you have to do to GET that 450 watts?". Claims like that can vary widely with test conditions.

The audio business is odd. If you buy a 500 watt per channel amplifier, it will in fact produce that, somehow, for a short time. It would probably overheat if asked to do it for longer.

There are rules about outright lies concerning product performance. They came back decades ago when the little K-mart systems with the turntable on top were advertising "150 watts music power +- 1 dB". The reality was probably far less. But, if you held the power supply at the no-load voltage, you probably could get the 150 watts from one channel, especially if you also took into account the usual "+- 1 dB". By the time you finished, yeah you could get that for a short time. Like really short, and using test conditions that would never occur in reality. The Federal Trade Commission became annoyed and made some rules to prevent the outlandish claims.

That 500 watt amplifier will probably produce about 63 watts continuously without overheating anything. That's because music does not NEED full power all the time, and amplifiers are never made to produce it, unless maybe for certain types of subwoofer usage. Music has peaks, but the average is much lower. Standard tests use a "clipped" noise signal at an average output of about 1/8 of the stated power, which is what I pulled the numbers from. That is used to heat everything up and find out if anything accessible becomes too hot, or any dangerous condition is created. The 450 watt amp may produce a bit less, possibly about 55 watts continuously.

OK, what to do with the amp? No clue.... it might work if you need an AC servo amp, for not very tough duty, and you have 12V available.

I am pretty sure the amplifiers are made in china, and they may or may not conform to any FTC rules. So what they really will do is open to much question. That sort of amp seems to shake cars just fine, I hear them from time to time.

At the music company , we made a lot of PA amplifiers. A later boss at the consulting company used one of them to drive a shaker table for MIL testing. It was nominally 1600 watts total, and it drove the shaker just fine. IIRC that was several hundred watts continuous, anywhere from 250 to 400watts, most likely.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 04-11-2022, 12:36 AM.
          4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Well? I am some what an expert re? speajkwers and simple amps like ones you are talking about. They are not worth anything. That sucks, JR

Comment

I would like to show a system or more. I am not aloud to, so. .. Not that is all secret and all, nope. Its just not my stuff,, JR

5000 watt, DC class A Amp. One of two. Feeding a giant 18" Yamaha stadium sub,. That was my house stereo.

Yep, the police came.... It shock folks windows from streets away.. My favorite song. Frankenstein.. I wouls bloq the rof off. The four bank of satellite speaks are good also, JR

Yeah. I scewd up as always. It get busy over here hey!!

The 18" stadium sub is a JBL, 2440, she is a bitch.The Satilite units are Polk Audio, They song very nice. JR
              Last edited by JRouche; 04-11-2022, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                In a liquidation store the other day where they have several car stereo amps for sale. 450 watts stated power- no other descriptions that I could read. $15 each. They are new, in original box. I'm trying to think of any alternative uses for such a thing. Any ideas?
                What are you? 17 years old ? ? ?

-D
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  . . .There are rules about outright lies concerning product performance. . .
                  But nobody cares. They all are still advertising 6hp+ shop-vacs that plug into a 20A 120V household circuit. Outright lies abound.

Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

But nobody cares. They all are still advertising 6hp+ shop-vacs that plug into a 20A 120V household circuit. Outright lies abound.
                    No rules for those, because it does not matter in the least.

There are rules for other products, and when there are, the makers definitely Do care, if they are in the US. Anything from china seems to get a "pass", probably because who could even find it, in the flood of ****e from china.

And because you cannot do anything to the suppliers, who are shielded. All you can do is hit the importers. Importers are like people.... if you lose some, there are always more.
                    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

The old radio someone gave me as a kid. 30 watts bass, 30 watts treble into a cast driver and cone. That was the rating of the output tube(6BG6 if I recall), Would put out more sound than the 500watt units today. Could turn it on, open an upper window in my bedroom and go outside and listen while working in the yard....

Comment

You'd do better to buy an inexpensive import receiver from GoodWill with your $15...

t

d&b vi12's
                        rusting in Seattle

Comment

They need high current though. So either some "hacked" computer supplies or a new high current switching 12v supply. And do they have a preamp with them or are they only the final output drivers?

With a suitable power supply and blue tooth link you could turn some extra speakers you might have into bluetooth speakers? I only see this being something worth the time if you really like the sound from some speakers you already have though. And if you don't have a spare receiver or amp to drive them.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

If I was 17 I would have bought several of them and cluttered up my van with a mediocre but loud sound system. I would also have come to realize that the existing battery and charging system wouldn't have been up to the challenge, so the generator would have been swapped out for a bigger one. Then the reclaimed console stereo speakers would have been replaced with more appropriate ones- and the story goes on. I was never that guy, although I have worked on and installed several multi-kilowatt systems.

I realize in this case I would be asking for hundreds of amps of draw from the 12v source to run more than a couple of these amps. Unless I wanted to create a portable sound system on a trailer with say 4 or more deep cycle batteries, I don't know what else these amps would be good for. They are probably the $99 amps that no real audiophile would buy- and yes I agree that they are probably good for only about half the power rating. I was thinking more along the lines of a servo amp at about the 200 watt level, but with the added negative that a solid 12v battery and charge system would be required.

Perhaps these would be useful as a case and heatsink for a motor control system for a diy electric bike- something like that.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Small power inverters?
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X