Bandsaw Blade Guides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Blade Guides?

There seem to be as many blade guide styles as there are bandsaw manufacturers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Guide.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1996431
    What style do you like for a vertical metal cutting saw?

https://carterproducts.com/band-saw-...4c5526a5d90cfb
    I have two band saws and years ago changed them to Carter guides, works well without problems

Comment

the big block of steel type! Truly un-breakable
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron43 View Post
        I have two band saws and years ago changed them to Carter guides, works well without problems
        Carter sells several different styles of guides. Which do think is best -- one ball bearing -- three ball bearing?

Comment

Have 3 band saws 2 vertical 1 horizontal each one has a different kind of guide and have a difficult time getting them to cut straight the horizontal is the best for adjusting the bearings it has 3 bearings per guide and cuts the straightest but is hard to keep in adjustment something to work on when I get time

Comment

Originally posted by lbender View Post
            Carter sells several different styles of guides. Which do think is best -- one ball bearing -- three ball bearing?

I am using the three ball bearing ones

Comment

All industrial saws that I have used employ solid carbide guides, they last for years of many hours per day use.

Comment

This is similar style of Pic with Red Arrow in post #1,these are the BEST for Metal Vertical Bandsaw.Most Brands of Metal Bandsaws come equipped with these and are adjustable for wear.(Grob uses a different style) Click image for larger version

Name:	CBDC0B44-DC3E-44D5-A7B6-1E21A08D8CF2.png
Views:	210
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1996528

Comment

Originally posted by lbender View Post

No particular opinion on which is best. The old Atlas saw uses two per, one of them has a flange on it to hold the blade.

Those are "OK". Problem is that swarf that carries around can jam the rollers. And they are a pain to adjust with the off-center bolts.

Solid ones might be good, but I'd still need the backup roller.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Carter guides, uggg. What crap they sent me. This is the saga I posted on the other forum:
                    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...t=carter+guide

Comment

I have the simple, 4x6, import band saw (Grizzly brand). As far as I know, all the imported 4X6s use the same, three ball bearing style with the rear support on the circumference of the BB, not the side. I have had this saw for about 12 years and have never had a problem with these supports. Nor have I needed to adjust them. I do clean them off with WD-40 and a tooth brush from time to time.

At one time I did have problems with getting the blade to cut straight. Apparently that was due to uneven wear on the corners of the teeth and I cured that by getting some new, bi-metal blades. The present bi-metal blade has been cutting straight for over five years now.

The bi-metal blades are the first thing you should treat your band saw to. I can't say enough good things about them. And considering their long life, they are considerably less expensive to use. Win, WIN, WIN!
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I use the bimetal, they wear down same as any blade, but they take longer to do it. I've even had the blade wear on one side with bimetal.

Any saw blade, sanding belt, or the like can only be evaluated on the basis of how many hours of blade-in-the-kerf time it has remained good when cutting a given material. You would be correct that probably few of us can give that number, as we cut different materials, and probably do not keep track of running hours, let alone hours of blade-in-kerf time.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          This is similar style of Pic with Red Arrow in post #1,these are the BEST for Metal Vertical Bandsaw.Most Brands of Metal Bandsaws come equipped with these and are adjustable for wear.(Grob uses a different style) Click image for larger version

Name:	CBDC0B44-DC3E-44D5-A7B6-1E21A08D8CF2.png
Views:	210
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1996528
                          Grob guides suck ass IMO.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Grob guides suck ass IMO.
                            Agreed!

Comment

Mines solid, looks cast or chill cast iron, hard as air crash doll plastic
                              mark

Comment

Working...
                              X