welding on a lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding on a lathe

I was just watching some youtube stuff and in doing so I noticed I have yet to see someone hook up the ground clamp to the work piece that they had chucked in the lathe and they just start welding. Now I hope they dont just have the ground clamp hooked on the leg of the lathe. Being a welder in the oilfield I wondered about that.

I would hope not too. That would be right through the bearings. At the very least it would be wise to connect it only to the tail of the main spindle. That way it's not going through the bearings.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Kurtis does so all the time, it's one of his SOPs.

Comment

With all those wonderful welding tables I see around, why would you weld in a lathe?
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

While I don't recommend it, I've seen it done a few times on lathes and mills. Mostly on old and well worn machines. I've even seen 8 foot long rollers jammed tight between centers and then bent straight with a 20 ton jack, then a lathe tool mounted and the roller turned.....

Few things are sacred when needs must.
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

You see welding on the lathe all the time in the Pakistani videos. I never see the ground lead, so presume the current may be going wherever. That would be consistent with many other observed activities!
            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by welderskelter View Post
              I was just watching some youtube stuff and in doing so I noticed I have yet to see someone hook up the ground clamp to the work piece that they had chucked in the lathe and they just start welding. Now I hope they dont just have the ground clamp hooked on the leg of the lathe. Being a welder in the oilfield I wondered about that.
              yeah thats a terrible practice. I rarely weld on the lathe, when I do making sure power is not running through any bearing surfaces & splatter protection are my two main worries.

now, what you might have seen was a welding positioner? Some of them look very much like lathes & the good ones take proper consideration of electrical pathways.
              "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
              "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
              "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by mtraven View Post

now, what you might have seen was a welding positioner? Some of them look very much like lathes & the good ones take proper consideration of electrical pathways.
                  When you see them turn something, then weld on the part without removing it, that's definitely on the lathe. As with the video, where you can see the toolholder. (posted a minute before mine)

I HAVE seen welding positioners, although even there, the current has, in some at least, had no visible way to get to the work other than the bearings. Maybe there is a contact shoe inside, but.......
                  Last edited by J Tiers; 04-13-2022, 10:02 PM.
                  4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    I HAVE seen welding positioners, although even there, the current has, in some at least, had no visible way to get to the work other than the bearings. Maybe there is a contact shoe inside, but.......
                    Kurtis' positioner's ground - it swivels so as to not wind up the cable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 22-13-18 Repair FAILED Hydraulic Cylinder Part 1 Making a New Barrel - YouTube.png
Views:	446
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	1996733

Comment

An odd bit of old welding cable with the insulation off and wrapped around the work is my method to secure an electrical path better than going though the spindle bearings.

A "brush" contact. It's worked fine the few times I've needed.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

When you see them turn something, then weld on the part without removing it, that's definitely on the lathe. As with the video, where you can see the toolholder. (posted a minute before mine)

fair enough, I had no idea what people were looking at.
                        "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
                        "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
                        "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

Neanderthal's gonna Neanderthal

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            Neanderthal's gonna Neanderthal
                            Nah, sometimes you have to do what you need to do. I've never needed to weld anything in my lathe, but if doing so meant getting a critical job done vs not done, I would just get on with it. A lathe or mill is not some sacred artifact from the Honorable Ancestors. It's just a machine meant to be bent to my needs and goals. Not the other way around.
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Copper Earth strap ( braided flat and lugged) makes a good Earth, never through a gearbox or bearing
                              mark

Comment

Working...
                              X