welding on a lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I am pretty sure he used his "beater" lathe for that.
    I think you're right. Don't recall his ever mentioning grounding.

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      The way I see it if a person has such little regard for his lathe that he's welding on it it doesn't make any difference where he pulls ground from.

JL.....
      but thats what matters. you know the problem is: running current across ball bearings can cause damage by arcing, right? So you deal with that, you protect you're ways & chuck / spindle from splatter and you're fine.

that being said, I'd still rather weld on a positioner or an old lathe.
      "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
      "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
      "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

Originally posted by mtraven View Post
        but thats what matters. you know the problem is: running current across ball bearings can cause damage by arcing, right? So you deal with that, you protect you're ways & chuck / spindle from splatter and you're fine.

that being said, I'd still rather weld on a positioner or an old lathe.
        I under stand the problem with pulling ground through the bearings but that wasn't my point.
        You can do a lot of damage to other parts of the machine even if you try to protect it.

JL...............

Comment

Modern lathes are full of contactors, relays, microswitches ---- things that wouldn't take kindly to a burst of high amperage current in the system, I think.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            You can do a lot of damage to other parts of the machine even if you try to protect it.
            such as? when I've done it, I've covered all critical surfaces(chuck, ways, leadscrew, ect) with heavy leather & had a robust ground lead making good contact with the workpiece, what am I risking damaging?

Modern lathes are full of contactors, relays, microswitches ---- things that wouldn't take kindly to a burst of high amperage current in the system, I think.....

which is why its so important to control the electrical pathways.
            "it is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- krishnamurti
            "look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -- albert einstien
            "any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Comment

Originally posted by mtraven View Post
              such as? when I've done it, I've covered all critical surfaces(chuck, ways, leadscrew, ect) with heavy leather & had a robust ground lead making good contact with the workpiece, what am I risking damaging?
              Apparently, both your reputation and your good name here, on one-in-one-of-millions-of-constellations-of online forums.

Comment

Originally posted by welderskelter View Post
                I was just watching some youtube stuff and in doing so I noticed I have yet to see someone hook up the ground clamp to the work piece that they had chucked in the lathe and they just start welding. Now I hope they dont just have the ground clamp hooked on the leg of the lathe. Being a welder in the oilfield I wondered about that.
                Sounds like a welding positioner to me.

A gentleman here gave me a very nice DC motor and controller for my welding positioner. It works.. I had to figure out the leads.

Also it can work as a crude lathe. In horizontal mode with a tail stock I guess "_

Its a horizontal table now for tig welding.. JR

Comment

My rotary welding positioner has a braided ground strap over the shaft that attaches to the chuck. This shaft runs through the bearings. If I have to weld on my lathe which I have done quite often I used a braided ground strap also.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    With all those wonderful welding tables I see around, why would you weld in a lathe?
                    Alignment. To be clear, Kurtis at CEE only tacks in the lathe before removing to use a welding positioner.

Kurtis has addressed his welding in the lathe. Even he recommends caution.
                    Last edited by camdigger; 04-15-2022, 02:51 PM.
                    Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Working...
                    X