High School Robotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is an uplifting read.

I tip my hat to dalee100, ChrisK, Hawkeye, Mcgyver, rklopp & Mike of the North for the good work you are doing and the level of contribution you are making.

Bravo, gentlemen.

Comment

I would of loved something like this. I went to a school with a bunch of assholes who were destined to be lawyers and other liberal arts majors.
      We had an engineering club that was great at first. We went on a field trip to Hughes Aerospace and sat down with the engineers who made the Hubble Telescope. A year later, some bitch teacher wanted to be a part of the engineering club and dumbed it down to a level that the mainstream idiots could participate. Completely destroyed it. Perhaps this is why today I am absolutely hostile to sharing my tools or shop with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Dude I am joking.

-D
        I think that an appropriate emoji or two in your diatribe () would have made the jokey-ness apparent. Maybe you need some remedial work on your emoji literacy

Comment

I have a friend that was the technology teacher at the HS what I went to.
          He is a bit older than I, but when I went to college, he worked there in
          the engineering department running the labs and maintaining the equipment.
          So when my friend became the technology teacher at my old HS, of corse
          we kept in touch. He of course was in charge of the robot competitions
          and whatever else technical the HS programs were in to.
          So he knew I had a shop. At the time, I worked for a shock absorber company
          that had a linear actuator division. I used to get a lot of parts from that division
          and I had many motors, ball screws, sprockets, gears, linear rails, etc.
          So much that I would always give my friend at the HS parts for the kids to
          use when building their robots. I also machined shafts and brackets for them.
          I gave them a small CNC mill that I came across. They made a project of it
          and retrofitted the controls. I did a lot behind the scenes for my friend and
          the kids at my old HS. It was fun and they long ago had gotten rid of the
          lathes that the HS used to have. Never had any mills when I was there.
          Auto shop was gone too. Anyhow, I guess I was the only resource thay
          had for a while. So yes, volunteer if you can and kids are always worth
          investing your time to help. I tutor the young engineers at work who are
          right out of college. They know engineering from the books but not how
          something like say, vectors apply in real live. How to do simple trig in your
          head blows their mind. Tricks like using the number 3 instead of Pi in your
          head to figure area or circumference is good enough, is a good trick too.
          Keep helping the next generation. Even if they don't seem to appreciate it.
          Some day they will remember a word or 3 that you taught them.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            I have a friend that was the technology teacher at the HS what I went to.
            He is a bit older than I, but when I went to college, he worked there in
            the engineering department running the labs and maintaining the equipment.
            So when my friend became the technology teacher at my old HS, of corse
            we kept in touch. He of course was in charge of the robot competitions
            and whatever else technical the HS programs were in to.
            So he knew I had a shop. At the time, I worked for a shock absorber company
            that had a linear actuator division. I used to get a lot of parts from that division
            and I had many motors, ball screws, sprockets, gears, linear rails, etc.
            So much that I would always give my friend at the HS parts for the kids to
            use when building their robots. I also machined shafts and brackets for them.
            I gave them a small CNC mill that I came across. They made a project of it
            and retrofitted the controls. I did a lot behind the scenes for my friend and
            the kids at my old HS. It was fun and they long ago had gotten rid of the
            lathes that the HS used to have. Never had any mills when I was there.
            Auto shop was gone too. Anyhow, I guess I was the only resource thay
            had for a while. So yes, volunteer if you can and kids are always worth
            investing your time to help. I tutor the young engineers at work who are
            right out of college. They know engineering from the books but not how
            something like say, vectors apply in real live. How to do simple trig in your
            head blows their mind. Tricks like using the number 3 instead of Pi in your
            head to figure area or circumference is good enough, is a good trick too.
            Keep helping the next generation. Even if they don't seem to appreciate it.
            Some day they will remember a word or 3 that you taught them.

--Doozer
            So I guess the big question is:

What did they call you?

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

What did they call you?
              How do you think he got that nickname. "Man, that guy's a real Doozer...."

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post

What did they call you?
                Whatever they called him: Dude; Dbag; Sensei; Master Doozer. doesn't mater, that he gave his time and knowledge does.
                That's is a character trait lacking in so many, both young and old.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Whatever they called him: Dude; Dbag; Sensei; Master Doozer. doesn't mater, that he gave his time and knowledge does.
                  That's is a character trait lacking in so many, both young and old.
                  You're missing the point... But I digress.

Comment

We joke here most of the time.
                    You know the old saying,,,
                    Girls say nice things to each other
                    and don't mean it.
                    Guys say mean things to each other
                    and don't mean it.
                    Just how it is.
                    So much is lost with text.
                    If we all got to together for a shop meet
                    I am sure we would have a few beers
                    pick on each other, and laugh like cousins.

---Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

The FIRST championship is in Houston this weekend, Here is a link to the event. https://www.firstchampionship.org/?_...sfp=1689105906

Mike
                      Coach 5291 FTC
                      Mentor 2137 FRC
                      Mike
                      Brandon MI
                      2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
                      1971 Opel GT
                      1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

Working...
                      X