OT Help in surviving a disaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Help in surviving a disaster.

Im sure there are some of you good members here that have been hit by natural disasters. I live in Kwazulu Natal. The province in S Africa that had the terrible riots where 350 people lost their lives .
    Well we have now been hit by floods. Im sure some of you here have gone through what we are going through and was wondering about some pointers to get through this.
    For now internet and electricity is on( for me at least but I cant say for how long). The biggest concern is massive damage to water infrastructure. I have no water and huge areas are effected by this. Our biggest concern is this new rainbow nation has stolen all the money so its a bit different to the situation in America with the hurricanes .
    We had 475mm of rain in four days and more is on its way. Hopefully not as bad .So far 350 people are dead and more missing.
    First question. What happens to sewer when you dont have water to flush toilets. Should we be sending messages out to perhaps try contain your waste on your own property for now .Im sure sewer needs water and eventually it will block and then start flowing out manholes to compound the problem.?

I have been to a few places where sanitation has broken down years ago or even never existed and it did seem that places where the 'solids' were being stockpiled at home were better than some of the other practices.

Comment

Part of a survival strategy is picking where you live. Hard to have empathy for people in New Orleans when they flood. Hard to have empathy for people who move next to an airport then complain about airplane noise.
      If you're stuck, you're stuck. My survival strategy would probably get you thrown into prison or dragged across the streets.
      Internet I would use Musk's Starlink. For power I would have a big power wall and solar panels, electric pumps into a dugged cesspool. Can't get any of that? Again, it's important where you pick to live.

Comment

Collecting rain water to drink would what I would be doing right now. After a few days of rain all the bird poo should be off the roof but perhaps a little chlorine bleach could help the water quality. I'd get a 55 drum for the solid waste and then when it stops flooding find a place to dig a hole and dump, kind of like the outhouse we had on the farm.
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

I am so sorry for what your suffering with ANC etc madness, it feels like the world has gone to ****e, there’s so much turmoil, evil and corruption
          really get solar panels, an inverter, as well said starlink. Sewers will fail, your stuck then with burial aka Earth closet, running water that’s harder, if possible drill a well, depending on water table, why the left are choosing to try to end the world puzzles me, it’s sad when your glad your in your twilight years but if I’d have known what the world would be I’d have got sterilised at 16, kids futures are bleak.
          my thoughts are with you
          mark

Comment

Ditto what boslab said, the folks telling you to move and not live there right now do not have a clue. This is your home you did not change the government did. Order solar panels, batteries and a invertor. I am already started on my backup system. Find a way to collect and store rainwater or other. On the farm we had a cistern that was used for flushing and other dutys. You can get a water purification system to make drinking water out of whatever. Long term If you really want to move elsewhere do so.

Comment

You can still flush toilets without running water if you have a tank type toilet. I don’t know what the sewer system can handle though.

With rain on the way I would suggest getting every type of container you have outside so you can collect as much as you can. Start dumping into your bathtub for storage also.

I have no idea what your area is like but if riots were already there it’s only a matter of time before looting starts for resources in a disaster. Hopefully you have some sort of protection.
              Last edited by oxford; 04-15-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

The best survival strategy does not involve technological solutions such as solar panels. Panels are tied to a specific location, and can be damaged or stolen. Besides, in this sort of situation, you have what you have, and you are where you are, when it happens, so your "techie stuff" may or may not be available. A radio is usually helpful these days.

The best strategy is knowing how to live with less when you have to. People lived without any lights at night, other than a fire, for a very long time.

Focus on what you need, which is food and water, and somewhere to get rid of crap. (It is heading into your winter, but I don't know your weather) Rain, which you seem to have plenty of, for water. Food? That is situation-dependent involving the sources of food and transportation, which you have little control over, but you can live without enough food for a while if you have water. Digging a hole solves the other problem.

If it does not rain for a while, boiled water is safer as far as biological stuff, and if you boil it and put in some charcoal from the fire to soak for a while, many other threats are reduced by charcoal absorbing nasty stuff. That can fix some pretty dirty water.

4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  Part of a survival strategy is picking where you live. Hard to have empathy for people in New Orleans when they flood. Hard to have empathy for people who move next to an airport then complain about airplane noise.
                  If you're stuck, you're stuck. My survival strategy would probably get you thrown into prison or dragged across the streets.
                  Internet I would use Musk's Starlink. For power I would have a big power wall and solar panels, electric pumps into a dugged cesspool. Can't get any of that? Again, it's important where you pick to live.
                  Well, I'm sure that Plunger appreciates this sage and sympathetic advice from a US-based, highly paid (and with internationally transferable skills and qualifications) pilot, who publicly bitches about how hard his job is and how he wishes that he could quit as soon as possible. Thanks RB211... much appreciated...

Comment

I have an inverter and 180 amp lithium battery. But no solar. I need to see if I can buy a suitable sized solar panel just in case .Ironically in S Africa we have black outs because we dont have enough generation but government given us a break from black outs to assist us in rescues etc. The death toll is now 395.

RB211 you are a hundred percent correct about choosing where you live. I chose to live in S Africa and although I am not rich I live in a three bedroom house with four cars ,four parking garages and a swimming pool for my comfort and I am in one of the wealthier suburbs in my province. But this is Africa and those 395 (will be much more )lived in a tin shack on a river bank .They have nothing and this all stems from having a rotten government.

My biggest fear is social unrest again because when the masses get thirsty there is going to be a blood bath. Lets hope it doesn't get to that .Our riots made the Los Angeles riots look like a picnic.
                    RB the weather didnt seem to care where I live because Im still affected.

Ive filled every bucket I have around the house and have a 2000 liter tank that is full plus my little splash pool of about 15000 liters.

Our economy lost 50 billion in the riots to burnt buildings and many jobs were shed and we have the highest unemployment in the world so this is a huge setback.

Comment

Using solar is pretty basic stuff regardless of what others say. Generators need gas to run, without power to pump that gas or a means to get it to you. Why go without basic electricity when solar is so available now? You need the panels, a charge controller to control the charge to your battery's and a invertor. I have started on mine. Regardless of what Jerry said, the panels and all can be moved to your new location.

I have only 600 watts of panels and 200 aHrs of LiFePO4 batteries to start, you might consider at least that or 1000 watts to start. Renogy is what I chose.

Without electricity how do you charge your ham radio, SW radio and cell phones? No lights at night except kerosene lamps, the first two years on our old farm was that way. Previous owner did not Need power lines and poles... he had a Delco power plant, 32 volts I believe and when he left it went with him! Dad had to pay the power company for the poles to be installed and they furnished the wire. Then we could have a well pump and have running water. Been there and done that.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 04-15-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Regarding solar
                        - get as many panels, as big an inverter, etc, you can - enough so you can run your “big loads” during the day (water pump? Etc?)

- regular lead acid batteries require a steady diet of distilled water. Sounds like you’re not in a situation to provide that - so you definitely want to get sealed batteries, lithium ion, etc - which don’t require a steady ””technological/infrastructure input”

good luck
                        frank

Comment

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post

Well, I'm sure that Plunger appreciates this sage and sympathetic advice from a US-based, highly paid (and with internationally transferable skills and qualifications) pilot, who publicly bitches about how hard his job is and how he wishes that he could quit as soon as possible. Thanks RB211... much appreciated...
                          Transferrable skills are highly debatable. Unlike most jobs, when I switch jobs, I start all over at the bottom. So if anyone else gave the same advice, what would your retort be? Maybe I'm an asshole with no filter, but the elephant in the room needs to be called out.

Comment

Electric is good if you have it. Small solar powered, or crank generator radios are good to have also. They need no mains power, and work well. Think of folks using tube radios back in WWII for various Maquisard and spy activities, for both receive and transmit. Modern radios do better.

As for batteries.... Rainwater is pretty good distilled, and L-A batteries don't need that much water overall. "Require a steady diet" is a much stronger statement than it needs to be. The water needs depend a lot on how properly they are charged. A very simple charger will gas off a lot of water, sure. Good charge controllers, which are normally used with solar installs, help a lot.

Yes it depends on battery cycling. When it is raining, normally your issues with charge-related water loss are less, you are lucky to get much charge at all. And the rainwater is usable.
                            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Invest in an incredible water filter,,, when the chit hits the fan use your pool water for drinking... Poop in a bucket and compost it, grow poop vegetables and sell them to your neighbors for profit - life is good....

Comment

Working...
                              X