Shaper tool holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper tool holder

I have been trying to purchase a tool holder for my shaper. I can't seem to find a place I can order on line. A company called Solar-Tools has the holder I want model SP-130 but I can't contact them. Any one know of a place that would have a good quality holder. The holder sits in the post and the cutter can index around the end, if that makes cense. Thanks.

Bob,
    That's a nice looking tool! Their smallest size is too big for my SBL 7" Shaper but it could be machined to fit. It can be seen by others at:
    http://www.solar-tools.com/webshop/
    Why don't you email them and find out who is their USA Distributor? Send your email to:
    [email protected]
    Good luck,
    Jim Larsen

Comment

I think Armstrong makes those as well maybe try MSC?
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Bob,

Have you thought of making your own? This looks like a nice little shaping / turning project, and you can make it the size you wish.

If it's the chicken & egg problem that you need the tool to make the tool, you could get by using your lathe tools in the shaper.

Ian
        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Here's a page showing some toolholders that I made for my shaper:

http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTo...per_toolholder

Don Kinzer
          Portland, OR
          Don Kinzer
          Portland, OR

Comment

Thankyou for the replies. I did think of making one but though that a purchased one would be more rigid due to heat treating and or forging. How would cold roll due? Is it as rigid or is the bought one much better?

[This message has been edited by Bob Quale (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Bob Quale (edited 02-11-2003).]

Comment

Don
              You got the blues bud? Have not seen many people cut gears with a shaper - way to go! Nice job on the goodies.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-12-2003).]

Comment

Bob,
                You mentioned CRS for a tool holder, my experience with what we call here bright mid steel (ie roll or die formed) is that a lot of internal stresses are present and surface work turning /grinding tends to release these and the thing gets all bent out of shape, difficult if you are looking for tolerance work. Personally I tend to use black steel (scaley stuff) and heat treat to get some where near desired result. Maybe general terminologies of steel in your area are different to what we use here in that case disregard.

Comment

When you get it all done you can surface heat treat it using Kasenite (pure carbon powder) and your gas torch. Repeat as needed to deepen the heat treating. It will be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY stronger than needed in any small shaper.

Comment

In response to the cold roll. Yes, I have the same trouble with the internal stress. I stress releave all of my cold roll first in a heat treat oven. It still seams a little soft however. I also like the idea of hot roll, the scally stuff. How about drill rod? If I were to heat treat and then aneal it, what target RC would I look for? I wonder if it would be as strong as the forged stuff. In any case, non of the suppliers are getting back to me.

My shaper is a step toe. The slide has a 16' movement. It is a larger size than the small ones you see around. It seams to be designed for a 5/16 cutter if using a holder or you can put one as big as 5/8X1,1/4 directly in the clapper.

Comment

If I were to make a tool / holder or similar for other than general use I would agree that drill rod (called silver steel here) would be better it hardens nicely without too much warping, infact I recently purchaded some in larger sizes which had been cut with a friction (chop) saw and was it ever hard near the cut. Not sure of the RC as I don't have the gear to test it.

Comment

Hay Bob Quale 16 foot stroke???!!! Could we have a picture of that!
                        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Ooops!!

16 in stroke. I'm just a knot head, I get so excited about this stuff I can't wait long enough to proof read my posts.

Comment

As I don't know how wide the lantern is on the clapper box this may or may not work. Order some Vasco Supreme 1/2x1 HSS tool bits and grind the tool form that you like. Just make sure that you back up both front and back sides of the tool. Been working for me for the last 30 years.
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                            X