Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLK001
    replied
    First, mount the plate backwards and take a skim pass on the back. Flip it around, then do the same for the front. I would use a larger radius than above, say 1/16". Make sure your tool is sharp for a nice finish. If it can't shave a fingernail, it isn't sharp enough.

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    Use any tool you like that fits the geometry of the part. If it can reach the areas you need to reach and is sharp it should be fine. I'd run a small radius to minimize tool pressure, maybe 1/64" or in that ballpark, and make sure the corner you leave after facing clears any internal radius on the mating part. You can do that by making sure the radius of your tool is smaller than any radius on the mating part or by turning a slight undercut at the end of the face if there's a shoulder. I don't know your experience level so it's hard to make any further suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Jammer Six
    started a topic Facing Cast Iron

Facing Cast Iron

I'm confused about tool shapes for the lathe, specifically the shape I need to face a cast iron face plate. I've seen information that seems to conflict, so I'm asking.

I've read that one must take a light skim pass off a new faceplate to ensure allignment with the lathe, and I'm looking for the tool to do so.
Working...
X