No announcement yet.

Modern note taking software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Google Keep, it sounds like the functionality is similar to OneNote. In addition to the to-do lists that take up most of my notes, it can draw, take a pic etc. The synching between the phone and desktop is insanely useful, I'll often use it to transfer some text from back and forth. Plus you never have to hit 'save', it's all saved. And my android phone takes great dictation, I dictate most of my texts.

Comment

I used OneNote a long time ago and saved all of my notes in the cloud. Fast forward today, after a many year hiatus from using it, the new OneNote will not open or read my old OneNote notes. Grrr

Comment

I use an analog solution. Her name is Jane. If I didn't have her I wouldn't know where anything would be anywhere. Her filing system is great and I can find anything I need when she is not at work. She pretty much puts what I need where it needs to be before I need it. I hope she doesn't read this as she will be after me for a raise. And no Jane is not my wife and she doesn't take DICKtation. Strictly business. If I didn't have Jane I wouldn't be able to play on my farm and do all the piddly things I like to do. The best thing about having Jane is she screens my calls.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          I use an analog solution. Her name is Jane. If I didn't have her I wouldn't know where anything would be anywhere. Her filing system is great and I can find anything I need when she is not at work. She pretty much puts what I need where it needs to be before I need it. I hope she doesn't read this as she will be after me for a raise. And no Jane is not my wife and she doesn't take DICKtation. Strictly business. If I didn't have Jane I wouldn't be able to play on my farm and do all the piddly things I like to do. The best thing about having Jane is she screens my calls.
          That sounds really great.
          Here in America (I know you are from Texas)
          companies do not any longer have secretaries.
          Oh wait, too diminutive. Call them administrative assistants.
          Oh wait, the clerical work itself is too diminutive to segregate it
          to one person. Let's make the high paid engineers and managers
          do the diminutive book keeping, and interrupt their higher level
          thinking, and burden them with clerical work, because as mentioned
          before, it is degrading to have someone dedicated to attend to these
          kinds of tasks exclusively. We don't want to get sued for dumping
          tasks on people that someone else originated. Handing things off
          is discrimination and diminutive. It must be. Have the PhDs log in
          their receipts for buying lab chemicals. Have the engineers rectify
          their credit card statements for buying prototype parts. Heaven
          forbid they should concentrate on thinking or designs.
          Don't even get me going on the fact that NO company has someone
          to help you at the front door and no one to direct your phone call.
          No time or money for that. Visitors have to directly make appointments
          with managers or engineers, and then be met at the front gate, let in
          the door, force them to get their temperature scan, sign a waiver of
          liability, on and on and on. The system is structured to hassle you to
          death until you give up and refuse to take it any more.
          And they don't even see the entrapment of the web they weave.
          Jump on the train. Everyone does it, so that must make it Ok.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

I use Evernote. It's by far the best of the ones that I've tried, and I've tried a lot of them. But then again I hate Onenote, so there you go. Different strokes etc. etc.

Comment

Evernote was the first one I'd heard of when watching an Adam Savage video a few weeks ago. I live in a cave with most tech stuff and didn't really know something like this existed. It's more expensive than free, but apparently a bit better judging by a few ratings I've read. At this stage of my life ANY software is better than none, so we'll see how I do with one note for now. I brought some new jobs home from work to design this weekend on a memory stick, so already off to a good start lol. Old habits are hard to break.....

If I knew anything about linux, and had any techie bone in my body I'd look into the info qwerty posted last page. I don't though. This stuff makes my head spin.

Comment

God bless .txt files.

I will bet that Microsoft can SELL you a translator.

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I used OneNote a long time ago and saved all of my notes in the cloud. Fast forward today, after a many year hiatus from using it, the new OneNote will not open or read my old OneNote notes. Grrr
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I've tried both Evernote and OneNote, both worked fine but I always end up gravitating back to pad and pencil. I've got a couple moleskine notebooks on the go for various things at work and also like the Field Notes books for a pocket sized memo book.
                  Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Screw it, just about every Windows programming tutorial series, either C# or C++ has you basically creating a note taking program. Think that's what I'll do, with C#. Stab the vultures in the back and create your own program, that's the only way to truly own your data. Well, besides paper and a pen.
                    Last edited by RB211; 04-23-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I use Google KEEP, it works well.

Here's a comparison with MS OneNote which also has been mentioned in the thread.

https://www.mksguide.com/google-keep-vs-onenote/

Comment

There's another one called Notion, that I want to like, but isn't quite ready for prime-time as far as what I need, but it's worth a look.

Comment

Working...
                        X