Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for small (1mm to 2mm or so) diamond round files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Thanks. I'll check the hand files, and if that is not handling it, I'll move on further to burs and power.

Leave a comment:

• MikeHenry
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I'm actually looking for a hand-operated type file, not a "diamond grinder" type thing.
    The NSK micro tools are nice if you have the budget. The usual jewelry supply houses should be able to supply diamond burrs:

Also, if you feel like taking a flyer on a small rechargeable hand tool, Culiau (China) sells a small one and a set of "high carbon" bits for <$50. I bought one on a lark and it seems to work pretty well the few times I've used it so far, though it may fail completely tomorrow. It only takes tools with 3/32 or 2.25mm shanks, if that's important to you, but there are plenty of quality suppliers for that size tool.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Smith
    replied
    Diprofil DLA1

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    The Vallorbe reference was simply that the place sells them, which means they may be more legitimate, and not some "thieves market" like "Bang-Good".
    I ordered the files. I'll report on how they are.
    Ahhh, gottcha now.. Funny, bang-good. Never tried them, some folks like them. A lil scketch for me.

Im sure the ones you ordered from the legit dealer will fit the bill. JR

Leave a comment:

• psomero
    replied
    Artco https://www.artcotools.com/diamond-pins/

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Really? I have the Valllobe filles in diamond. They are all tapered files. What gives?

There are no straight diamond parallel files.

I thought you wanted a parallel file . I was wrong once again. JR
    You were not wrong. I do want a parallel file. Check the link, they are parallel; "Unlike more-common tapered round files, these files are parallel, making them an excellent choice for refining bearings for hinges and other tasks that require a specific curve diameter."

The Vallorbe reference was simply that the place sells them, which means they may be more legitimate, and not some "thieves market" like "Bang-Good".

I ordered the files. I'll report on how they are.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied

Thanks. It was the super-low price that had me guessing. Good to get a ref on the reputation.

I did notice they had Vallorbe, which was encouraging.
    Really? I have the Valllobe filles in diamond. They are all tapered files. What gives?

There are no straight diamond parallel files.

I thought you wanted a parallel file . I was wrong once again. JR

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by andywander View Post
    My experience with Rio Grande is that they don't sell junk.
    Thanks. It was the super-low price that had me guessing. Good to get a ref on the reputation.

I did notice they had Vallorbe, which was encouraging.

Leave a comment:

• andywander
    replied
    My experience with Rio Grande is that they don't sell junk.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    These are the ones I have. No doubt this same 3 pack is still available somewhere. The round one is just over 2mm, and has a straight section about 20mm long.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Take a tapered file and break off the tapered section. Viola, an all straight file.

I never really understood why most files are tapered. Well, I do, but still .........

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    This is all I have found. They seem suitable, but the price is pretty low per set (and, yes, they do mean "per set" not per file).

I will want to do some re-shaping with the file, so the 240 grit is OK, and an embedded diamond hone would not be good. I am looking for the round equivalent to an EZE-LAP. Those do a decent job of reshaping carbide in a fairly short time, and I want similar.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Failing to find any, could you just get some diamond paste and turn your own lap from some aluminum to whatever size and shape you want? You're just sharpening toolbits right? not heavy hogging?

I have a tiny set of three diamond files and I think (from memory....) the round one is about 2mm, but it's tapered though.... No idea where they came from as I've had them for years. Set of three came in a lidded plastic box, with red, blue, yellow plasti dip handles. I use them for cleaning up insert pockets when inserts go bye bye and I can't get to the control in time.....

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    AliExpress may have them.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    I'm actually looking for a hand-operated type file, not a "diamond grinder" type thing.
    I was thinking that but all the diamond files I have are tapered. Never actually have seen a straight one, much less that tiny.. That rotary "burr" type is a lil on the rough side too huh? JR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X