Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for small (1mm to 2mm or so) diamond round files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for small (1mm to 2mm or so) diamond round files?

This came up when trying to create a cutoff tool for tubing that would also round the cut edges slightly, to avoid external burrs and excess secondary work. I don't expect it to completely avoid tiny burrs, but those are acceptable. I've already made one such tool, but they are specific to thickness of the tube, and without good forming tools, it was more work than I like.

It is the "shoulders" of the cutoff tool that need rounded so that they start to cut the edges just before the tip breaks through.

I found a lot of "sets" of diamond needle files. I do not need most of the shapes, and even the round ones are tapered, also not what I want. I am looking for files in the 1mm to 2mm diameter range, and parallel types, not tapered.

I found ONE set from "Rio Grand", a jeweler supply place, but the price is so low for the set (0.8mm to 1.5mm) that I am dubious. Might get it anyhow, but they may turn out to be unsuitable.

Any other good sources?
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Anything like these? These are for rotary but I looked high and low in my shop and that is the smallest I have.

I found them in my dremel box so they are more than likely dremel.. 1mm and 2mm. Thats some small stuff JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	1mm2mm.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	1997577

Name:	dremal box.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1997578

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
      I found them in my dremel box so they are more than likely dremel..

Name:	dremal box.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1997578
      Wow - I also use a tackle box for my Dremel/die grinder accessories, but it's empty compared to yours.

Comment

I'm actually looking for a hand-operated type file, not a "diamond grinder" type thing.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Wow - I also use a tackle box for my Dremel/die grinder accessories, but it's empty compared to yours.
          Yeah, its a lil much. Primarily motivated due to cost. My local hardware or hobby store wants a fortune for this stuff. If I can get it for less at bulk and have it on hand thats kinda what happened. JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            I'm actually looking for a hand-operated type file, not a "diamond grinder" type thing.
            I was thinking that but all the diamond files I have are tapered. Never actually have seen a straight one, much less that tiny.. That rotary "burr" type is a lil on the rough side too huh? JR

Comment

AliExpress may have them.

Comment

Failing to find any, could you just get some diamond paste and turn your own lap from some aluminum to whatever size and shape you want? You're just sharpening toolbits right? not heavy hogging?

I have a tiny set of three diamond files and I think (from memory....) the round one is about 2mm, but it's tapered though.... No idea where they came from as I've had them for years. Set of three came in a lidded plastic box, with red, blue, yellow plasti dip handles. I use them for cleaning up insert pockets when inserts go bye bye and I can't get to the control in time.....

Comment

This is all I have found. They seem suitable, but the price is pretty low per set (and, yes, they do mean "per set" not per file).

I will want to do some re-shaping with the file, so the 240 grit is OK, and an embedded diamond hone would not be good. I am looking for the round equivalent to an EZE-LAP. Those do a decent job of reshaping carbide in a fairly short time, and I want similar.

Comment

Take a tapered file and break off the tapered section. Viola, an all straight file.

I never really understood why most files are tapered. Well, I do, but still .........
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

These are the ones I have. No doubt this same 3 pack is still available somewhere. The round one is just over 2mm, and has a straight section about 20mm long.

Comment

My experience with Rio Grande is that they don't sell junk.

Comment

Originally posted by andywander View Post
                          My experience with Rio Grande is that they don't sell junk.
                          Thanks. It was the super-low price that had me guessing. Good to get a ref on the reputation.

I did notice they had Vallorbe, which was encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Thanks. It was the super-low price that had me guessing. Good to get a ref on the reputation.

I did notice they had Vallorbe, which was encouraging.
                            Really? I have the Valllobe filles in diamond. They are all tapered files. What gives?

There are no straight diamond parallel files.

I thought you wanted a parallel file . I was wrong once again. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Really? I have the Valllobe filles in diamond. They are all tapered files. What gives?

There are no straight diamond parallel files.

I thought you wanted a parallel file . I was wrong once again. JR
                              You were not wrong. I do want a parallel file. Check the link, they are parallel; "Unlike more-common tapered round files, these files are parallel, making them an excellent choice for refining bearings for hinges and other tasks that require a specific curve diameter."

The Vallorbe reference was simply that the place sells them, which means they may be more legitimate, and not some "thieves market" like "Bang-Good".

I ordered the files. I'll report on how they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X