No announcement yet.

Love old hand drafted drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done deal. I made the first and last groove .020" wider.
    After the conductor is crimped into the end and soldered a hose of unknown material is clamped at the grooves, the coolant flows inside, one fitting at each end.

Click image for larger versionName:	emsco grooves finished.jpgViews:	0Size:	2.21 MBID:	1997957
    Last edited by Bented; 04-22-2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

What a fascinating thing, pretty and functional, good work
      mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
        What a fascinating thing, pretty and functional, good work
        mark
        Thanks, the job was only 8 parts.
        This customer will not actually measure them, if they do not fit together at assembly they will be rejected of course.

Like so
        Click image for larger version

Name:	emsco grooves photo.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1997961

Comment

Our company policy was to support any machine that we ever built no matter how old! This often meant having to find old blue prints or velum drawings in the archives. I often had to go to what we called "the Dungeon of Despair" storeroom looking for 50 yr old drawings that really were never kept in any kind of order. Occasionally I got lucky! Several of us old timers retired about the same time so I doubt if they have the same policy now.

Comment

How can you not like old hand made drawings? Yes, GD&T was not used at that time, but there were usually plenty of notes, explaining specific requirements. In many cases such drawings were as good or even better than today's CAD drawings with all GD&T you want. Problem with GD&T is not many people both on drafting and machining end know how to use it properly.

Things are becoming even more interesting when old hand made drawings are converted to CAD. People who created the original drawings are long gone and many young draftsmen have no clue about the part function and what is important there. The result could be a non-functional part. I am not imagining all that, it's exactly what happened at my place of work when drawings from 50s and 60s were converted to CAD.

Comment

As I see it the drawing adds up to 1/16" short of the 1 1/4" dimension. And the 1/8" width is "Typical", not absolute. Also a 1/32" wide grooving tool is probably going to be a lot easier to find than one that is about 0.009" wider.

So it should be no problem to add about 0.0105" to the width of the 1/8" between the slots. And everything will still be within tolerance. Round up or down to the nearest thousandth, as you like. I would round up so the knurl does not intrude on the plain surface on each side of the grooves. I seriously doubt that any customer will ever take the trouble to find any discrepancy that this may make and you can defend it by referring to the drawing. I am sure the part will be 100% functional.

Time is money so stop wasting it with all this useless discussion and start making chips!

PS: Weather we have better drafting conventions today is not in question. You have to work with what you are given.
              Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 04-22-2022, 09:39 PM.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

typ·i·cal
                [ˈtipik(ə)l]
                ADJECTIVE
                having the distinctive qualities of a particular type of person or thing:
                "a typical day" · [more]
                synonyms:
                representative · classic · quintessential · archetypal · model · prototypical · stereotypical · distinctive · distinguishing · particular · normal · average · ordinary · [more]
                characteristic of a particular person or thing:
                "he brushed the incident aside with typical good humor"
                synonyms:
                characteristic · in character · in keeping · to be expected · usual · normal · par for the course · predictable · true to form · true to type · customary · habitual · proverbial

My understanding of the word "typical" sort of implies a certain degree of specificity, like as in something similar.
                Maybe your experience is not the same.

-D
                ...like as in something similar.

Well there you go. Similar, Not necessarily identical.
                But what ever blows your skirt up Doozer! I don't care one bit either way.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

First two google results for "what does the word "typical" mean on a mechanical drawing?"

(engineering drawings) Abbreviation of typical: used to label a feature that is to be interpreted as exactly the same as nearby comparable features. Four equally spaced bolt holes on a bolt circle can be dimensioned at one hole with the notation (TYP) following it.

TYP - Wiktionary

What does typical mean on a blueprint?

What does typical mean on a blueprint? Typical on an engineering drawing identifies a repeated feature. This is identical to a feature which is identified as 2x or 5x. A typical dimension callout will occasionally be followed by a 2x, 5x or similar, to specify the quantity of features which are tolerance the same.Jan 20, 2021

TYP & Typical on Blueprints [What They Mean & How to ...

I have never seen, or used, "typ" or "typical" for any purpose other than to indicate that other instances of a feature are to have the same dimension.

I won't deny that anyone has used it in some other manner, but if they did, they were "non-standard", which essentially means "wrong". Most folks would interpret it as above, and I think that is mentioned in many drafting textbooks.

This does not perhaps look like a big deal, but in the drafting world, a callout has to have a specific meaning. If it has two or three, or more possible meanings when used in a drawing, then the drawing does not describe a particular specific shape of part.

Same idea as words in a legal document (which a drawing can be). In "legalese:, words have meanings that are standardized, but do not necessarily correspond with "common usage", and the meaning cannot be assumed to be the "common usage" meaning.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                  X