I get a free mill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vpt View Post

Might be a good replacement for my drill press if nothing else.
    If you have to room, it would be good to have a “beater” mill around.

Comment

I may have a full set of y axis parts for a b port. I'll have to check. Should work for your machine.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I guess it worked, just removed to make room for new fangled cnc stuff. It's been outside for a bit but not to long. Not sure what I'll do with it but I can't pass up free.
        I've been searching for a mill to convert to CNC... if you aren't tooooo far from SE Ohio I'll give ya some money for it.

Comment

........................................... Not sure what I'll do with it but I can't pass up free.

Sometimes, a free item ends up being the most expensive machine you have.

And, of course, sometimes it ends up being an incredible deal.
          4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

I guess it worked, just removed to make room for new fangled cnc stuff. It's been outside for a bit but not to long. Not sure what I'll do with it but I can't pass up free.
            You nuckle head. Of course not. Its actually a lil nicer than she looks.. JR

"but I can't pass up free."

Well, that is me na bucket. JR​​​​​​​

Last edited by JRouche; 04-23-2022, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Looks like what was sold in Australia as a Herless.

Not bad mills for their time.

Nearly bought one once but moving it from a shed on the side of a mountain was a little difficult.

https://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.aspx?id=903746

Nev.

Comment

Nice score,,, only in America ...

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  That rates a "you suck" diploma.
                  Agreed! You suck!
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Tossed out to make room for cnc equipment, then it might have some life left in it. Lots of lube on everything before trying to move anything. Congrats.

Oh, and for that price......yeah, you suck!

Comment

The free mill is home! I found a couple small broken bits, I feel from possibly being banged around with fork lifts and whatnot. I brushed on a layer of heavy grease for now as it will still have to sit outside for a bit while I make room in the shop for it. As I was brushing on the grease clean metal was being revealed in many spots! Gives me good hopes most if not all the rust that is there will come off with just a light scrubbing of a steel wool or scuff pad and some wd. Must have had power feeds pulled off of it. Also had a dro as the scales are still there as well as the cables. Has one shot lube system. Motor and spindle turns freely. Axis screws turn freely but I did not run anything far until I can clean the ways. I am excited for this one! Can't wait to dive into it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4892.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	2000181 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4894.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2000182 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4897.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2000183 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4898.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	2000184
                      Andy

Comment

Three Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4896.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2000186 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4891.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2000187 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4893.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2000188 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4895.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2000189
                        Andy

Comment

That looks like a winner to me. I think I have a right side bracket, but I'd just buy a power feed. For the Y, there should be an extension screwed into the screw, probably with locktite.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

It had power feeders and they took them off. if everything else is ok, then then the money would be worth spending on.
                            Peter
                            Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

I thought the Frejoth I picked up was a deal at $400, but free, damn, definitely a you suck. About the same amount of grime, but cleaned up real nice. Love that mill. It has exceeded my expectations.

Comment

The big trick on the rust is a single-edge razor blade. Buy a pack of 'em, and maybe a holder if you want (I recommend it) and simply "shave" the rust off like you're scraping a sticker off a window.

Do NOT "flip over" the blade, and when it gets dull, toss it and get a new one. They're cheap. I've done it dry, which I prefer but it makes a lot of dust, or I've misted it with WD-40 first, which makes a messy slurry, but it cleans up easily. Your grease will be about halfway in between.

Once the bulk of the rust is off, use small sections of Scotchbrite and a liberal amount of WD-40, to scrub the remainder back to fairly bright.

I know "they" say not to use abrasives on machined ways, but first, the rust has already damaged the ways, and second, you'll need a steam-powered and pressure-oiled elbow to remove even a full .001" off any given machined surface.

Scrape, Scotchbrite, wipe up the schmutz. A little patience and you can have it all back to shiny in no time.

Doc.
                                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                                X