No announcement yet.

I get a free mill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the head off today during a thunderstorm. I was already committed when the storm popped up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4941.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2000746
    One bolt has bad threads.

Name:	KIMG4942.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2000747
    Andy

Comment

The machine came with no draw bar. Is it safe to assume all Bridgeport j head copies take the same length draw bar?

Now that the head is off and in the shop I am going to clean off one of my work benches and start tearing down the head. I don't plan on taking it 100 percent apart. Just enough to replace the cracked belt housing, inspect the gears inside, and check spindle bearings. Unless I see rust inside or other concerns than I'll tear it completely down.
      Andy

Comment

There's a 95% chance that mill takes a normal BP drawbar. If you want to run a 90 degree head, you will need the drawbar with the long hex on the top. There's a ring on top of the head, around the drawbar area that you move to go from low to high range. It has 2 special screws in the cam on the ring that need to be tight and solid. If they are worn or loose, they need to be tightened up or replaced.

To remove the spindle, move the quill down an inch or more, and you'll find a small setscrew on the back side of the quill. Sometimes there are 2 setscrews, one on top of the other. Take it/them out and use a pin spanner wrench to undo the big nut on the bottom of the quill. That nut usually has a left hand thread. Once that is off, you can tap the spindle out of the quill with a mallet and big (3/4") punch from the top. It comes out as a spindle cartridge, with all the bearings. Then you can relube or replace the bearings, as needed. I use Kluber NBU-15 bearing grease on all my spindle bearings. Clean out all old grease, then repack with Kluber. It's not cheap, but it beats every other spindle lube by a mile.
        Last edited by Toolguy; 05-15-2022, 12:16 PM.
        Kansas City area

Comment

That bad bolt looks like it has the threads from the hole in it, maybe a helicoil job.

Comment

A long nut goes on there. Just get a new nut, or a set of 4.
            Kansas City area

Comment

The threads on that bolt are stretched and it looks as though some of the threads from the nut were left behind on it as well. I will get a new nut and bolt to replace that one.

I tore down the head some today. Everything looks surprisingly good to me. The bearings all feel fine to me as well. I didn't see any rust at all and very little water was in the belt housing. The felt above the spindle bearings was soaked very well with oil. The quill looks to be in good shape. Over all I am pretty pleased with how things look so far! The cracked lower belt housing is a bit more broke than I thought it was. I wondering if the mill fell over or was hot hard with a fork lift. The spindle doesn't appear to be bent at all to the eye. I will check it in a lathe later on.

Name:	KIMG4960.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2000844 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4951.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2000845 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4952.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2000846 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4958.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2000847
              Andy

Comment

Three

Name:	KIMG4964.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2000852 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4961.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2000849 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4962.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2000850 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4965.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2000851
                Andy

Comment

The stray is in it's new home!

Name:	KIMG4995.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2001137

Everyone always forgets about the 250# spot on cherry pickers.

Name:	KIMG4993.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2001138

Name:	KIMG4994.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2001139
                  Andy

Comment

Cleaned up the head, everything is is good working condition and great shape! This head is cleaner than the head on my good mill! 😳

Name:	KIMG4992.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2001141 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4991.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	2001142

Spindle did have a slight bend in the splined part. I marked it up in the lathe for high spots and bumped it back in the press a little at a time.

Name:	KIMG4988.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2001143
                    Andy

Comment

Looks like you struck pay dirt! Good job on the clean up so far.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Ram was fairly stuck so I pulled it off and gave it a cleaning and lube job.

Name:	KIMG5030.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2001668 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5031.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2001667
                        Andy

Comment

Started in on the table. Cleaned up nicely for only about 30 minutes work on the top side.

This is how it looked after wiping the grease off.

Name:	KIMG5032.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2001670 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5033.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2001671
                          Andy

Comment

After 30 minutes of scraping and steel wool.

Name:	KIMG5034.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2001673 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5035.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2001674 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5036.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2001675
                            Andy

Comment

Stray is coming along very nicely! I am very pleased yet with how things are looking with this mill. I wiped off the y axis ways and they are very clean. Not a spec of rust on them. I also wiped down the top end of the knee ways which also looked great! I moved the knee all the way up and the table.all the way forward to help get the ram back in. Everything moved nicely. All the ways that were exposed look nice as well. I don't think I will be pulling the table off or the knee. Just move things from one end to the other and clean up what I can get to.

I do need to get a dial assembly for the y and x axis. I also see one of the copper lines for the oiler system was smashed flat so I will need to replace that. Besides those couple things and that lower belt housing part that should be on the way I think that is all I need for stray.

Well I guess one other thing. I need to run power to strays location and hook up yet another vfd. Lol
                              Andy

Comment

that looks fantastic, good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X