Working from the top down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5042.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2001721
    Andy

Comment

Looks like you got a nice score there, congrats. She is shaping up nicely, looks like it's still in great shape.

Comment

I am very pleased with it so far! Thank you!

Tilt bolt/shaft was broke. Worst job getting that thing out. Had to hammer, cut, hammer, cut, dill, cut, hammer, till finally got all the pieces out. Worm is ok. I salvaged the hex end of the shaft and welded on a new chunk of steel to machine down. Just waiting for it to cool now.

Name:	KIMG5047.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2001782 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5048.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2001783
        Andy

Comment

It has some wear, still doesn't feel clapped out though when yanking and pulling on it by hand. Good enough for free. 🙂

Name:	KIMG5050.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2001786 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5051.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2001787 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5052.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	2001788
          Andy

Comment

It will still probably make plenty good parts over short distances. You may want to check contact on the gibs and relieve the centers a bit if there's any rock where the gib is contacting only in the center at any point in the travel. That will help at least a little bit. When the ways get worn concave in the middle the gibs tend to take the opposite shape - that can cause trouble in areas of the travel where the ways are less worn. That will probably show itself when you put the clamp on and things move around a lot on the DRO. It may be that it won't matter for your work though, depends on what you're doing with the machine.
            Last edited by eKretz; 05-22-2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Absolutely! I'm not to worried about it. This is just a drill press and dirty mill for me. I have a good tight Lagun for stuff that needs to be right.

The "flaking" doesn't seem to be all that deep on this mill, so where it is wore off still isn't all that bad really. Even still I can't complain about anything for free. Lol 🙂
              Andy

Comment

Replacement lower housing came in! Everything seems to measure out and be exactly the same as a Bridgeport.

Name:	KIMG5060.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2001957
                Andy

Comment

Did some more cleaning and inspecting. I am fairly convinced this machine only had one op to do and that only involved the y axis. Both the knee and x ways are in mint condition. I am having a hard time believing what condition this machine is in. I feel like I am missing something. I can't imagine anyone just throwing out such an apparently nice machine. Even the oiler has good clean oil in it yet and all but one oiler seem to work. The one rear x axis oiler doesn't work but I believe it is because the copper line is smashed flat.

Name:	KIMG5070.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2001967

Name:	KIMG5066.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2001968

Name:	KIMG5068.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2001969
                  Andy

Comment

Check the worm on the head. If it the rod goes through and the shaft is in double shear, good. Otherwise you may want to modify it.
                    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                      Check the worm on the head. If it the rod goes through and the shaft is in double shear, good. Otherwise you may want to modify it.
                      Funny you mention that. The shaft was broke. Just today I finished the new shaft, drilled the head deeper so it passes threw and is in a double shear setup now. Not even knowing that was an upgrade I just did it. Lol

Old single shear shaft:

Views:	117
ID:	2001991

New longer double shear shaft.

Name:	KIMG5061.jpg
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2001992
                      Andy

Comment

Mill is looking better and better! It is hard for me not to get to carried away with cleaning though. I would love to just strip it completely down and clean every single last part and bolt. But I just don't have the time for that now.

Name:	KIMG5071.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2001994
                        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post

Funny you mention that. The shaft was broke. Just today I finished the new shaft, drilled the head deeper so it passes threw and is in a double shear setup now. Not even knowing that was an upgrade I just did it. Lol

Old single shear shaft:

ID:	2001991

New longer double shear shaft.

Name:	KIMG5061.jpg
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2001992
                          Well either you have better sense than a Bridgeport engineer, or hindsight. We made that fix based on some advise from a rebuilding book.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Well either you have better sense than a Bridgeport engineer, or hindsight. We made that fix based on some advise from a rebuilding book.
                            It just seemed to make sense to do it that way. Almost all worm drives I remember working with are supported on both sides of the worm. Kind of interesting why they didn't do it that way from the begining though. I assume they changed the design at some point threw the years?
                            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post

It just seemed to make sense to do it that way. Almost all worm drives I remember working with are supported on both sides of the worm. Kind of interesting why they didn't do it that way from the begining though. I assume they changed the design at some point threw the years?
                              Yep. We stole a worm from a later machine.

Comment

The **** people throw away. Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X