No announcement yet.

I get a free mill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a blind hole bearing with the grease trick and oops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5073.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2002041 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG5072.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2002042
    Andy

Comment

well I guess it isn't a blind hole any more! Blind hole bearing pullers are a worthwhile investment. Not something you'll use very often but super handy when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        well I guess it isn't a blind hole any more! Blind hole bearing pullers are a worthwhile investment. Not something you'll use very often but super handy when you do.
        I could have sworn I had some but of course couldn't find them when I needed them. Luckily it is a sealed bearing and it is on the back side of the head. So it doesn't 'need' to be closed up. Not sure if I want to mess with welding a plug in or not.

I am also looking at lubrication points since it is apart. There is nothing that really lubes the bull gear bearings once it is all together. Looks like they are just packed with grease and forgot about. Same goes.forntge worm gear for the power downfeed. My Lagun has an oil journal drilled threw this lower belt housing (bull gear housing?) To feed these bearings. Wondering if I should do the same for this mill.
        Andy

Comment

Just JB weld a plate over it.

Not sure on the head, never been into one.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Say, if you come across any more free mills, let me know, willya?

Comment

Bore the new hole round to a standard fractional size, and hit up Home Depot or similar for one of those little snap-in chrome hole covers. The next owner will think it's factory.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

As SJ would say, "Clumsy Bastard!"

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                  Bore the new hole round to a standard fractional size, and hit up Home Depot or similar for one of those little snap-in chrome hole covers. The next owner will think it's factory.

Doc.
                  That is a wonderful idea!
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    As SJ would say, "Clumsy Bastard!"
                    Funny! That was the exact thought that went threw my head when it happened. Haha
                    Andy

Comment

Just remember to remove the old bearing before repairing the hole.

Comment

Translation,

For a good time, call....
                        Last edited by junkaddict; 05-27-2022, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Regarding the oiling tubes, had the same issue on my Frejoth. Also check all the connections where they press in. On mine a few were loose, and more oil went out of the connection than into the ways or screws.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                            Stray is coming along very nicely! I am very pleased yet with how things are looking with this mill. I wiped off the y axis ways and they are very clean. Not a spec of rust on them. I also wiped down the top end of the knee ways which also looked great! I moved the knee all the way up and the table.all the way forward to help get the ram back in. Everything moved nicely. All the ways that were exposed look nice as well. I don't think I will be pulling the table off or the knee. Just move things from one end to the other and clean up what I can get to.

I do need to get a dial assembly for the y and x axis. I also see one of the copper lines for the oiler system was smashed flat so I will need to replace that. Besides those couple things and that lower belt housing part that should be on the way I think that is all I need for stray.

Well I guess one other thing. I need to run power to strays location and hook up yet another vfd. Lol
                            It wouldn't be a bad idea to fix the lube line before you put the table and saddle back on so you can see if the lube ports are plugged up or not.
                            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Nice score! Cleaning up real nice!
                              Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post

Translation,

For a good time, call....
                                Worth a call to find out!
                                Andy

Comment

Working...