Gravity Auto-Feed Jig for (Powermatic) vertical bandsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity Auto-Feed Jig for (Powermatic) vertical bandsaw

Powermatic offered a gravity auto-feed option on their variable speed vertical metal/wood bandsaws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	powermatic_feeder.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1997971

This one had only the foot feed bar remaining. So I improvised an alternative, with an adjustable vise
    fashioned from an old hold-down/pallet fixture plate, instead of the cables and pulleys dragging a
    material guide plate.

The damper was an add-on to make the foot release un-latching and end-of-cut unexciting.

Name:	autofeeder.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1997972

Name:	autofeeder-003.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1997973

Name:	powermatic_feeder-007.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1997974

That’s pretty neat. Never saw that before.

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Very accurate work!
        I just wonder of it's a straight or T-slot in the table. If it's not a T-slot, what prevents carriage from jumping up and down or tilting if cut unattended?
        Last edited by MichaelP; 04-23-2022, 12:37 PM.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Great looking modifications, well done.

We have the same Powermatic saw at work but it's missing most of the mechanism. I'd love to fix it like yours, but am afraid it would just get wrecked like everything else. It's tough to make anything nice around here, as there are a few individuals that love wrecking things as if it were a sport lol.

Comment

Great solution! I have an old DoAll that also used a gravity weight. Unfortunately mine doesn't have the weight or wheels. I'll have to make notes on your idea so if I get time it would bge a good project. So when do you slide/change the weight position?

Comment

MichaelP: Is just a straight slot in table, like any other fence/miter rail. The vise plate is reasonably heavy, and cutting forces are downward...I have not
              noted any jumpy behaviour, but I also don't cut things unattended. For thin stuff should consider some 3/8" tall support material (the thickness
              of the vise base plate) on the opposite side of the blade. I have only done a couple of tests with rigid stuff unattended, more to satisfy myself the
              damper eliminates any end-of-cut weight crash excitement. Have not even used the flush mounting pusher block I made.

Asallwey: The weight slide choice I guess you play by ear. I do not expect my weight is near what Powermatic provided, but my fulcrum point is certainly
              farther out. I consider this mod just an aid; it relieves some tedium of pushing big stuff, and you can still add manual push or pull as conditions warrant.
              I originally conceived of welding a bracket on the one weight to carry another weight plate, but so far single weight seems adequate. YMMV.

Comment

Very nice addition wbc,a good note on the Push&Pull when needed.The cable&pulley setup in first pic allows power feed to be used for Contour Cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by wbc View Post
                  Powermatic offered a gravity auto-feed option on their variable speed vertical metal/wood bandsaws.
                  Yeah, I Saw is one of the better ones.

Powermatic is top notch in the wood section. I do Knot ,wood work good,, so I dont ,

You have to see that joke (Puns) in there?? I do it all the time here they are Lame. This is half the joke..

Love that Machine. If I had the room.. JRJR

Comment

Working...
                  X