Drawing software??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing software??

Folks - My projects have progressed to several pieces of ruled paper. I think I'm ready for a simple drawing package. I'am looking for recommendations, advice, links etc. I don't think I need a true CAD package, but, maybe, capable enough to to dimension lines, scaling?

Have a faily decent PC, with MicroSlave OS

Prefer - free, cheap, moderate in cost, in that order.

Mike

There are several good and fairly easy to learn programs. Each will have a learning curve, but DeltaCAD has been recommended by many people and I have been using Auto Sketch by Auto Desk for about 8 years and find it fairly easy to use. The more advanced features of course take more time to learn, but the basic drawing is very easy. Costs about $100, but you might be able to find it on ebay. Auto Desk also has a new product called Quick CAD I think that is about $50, has the basic features, windows based menu makes learning quick.

The best thing will probably be to look for a free demo and try it out and see which one feels better to you.

Mike

Comment

Check back in the archive -- this has been kicked around before.

There is a fairly old "for free" version of Intellicad available on the Internet that you can download. There are also newer "test drive" versions of it as well. The user interface looks a LOT like AutoCAD, which is neither praise nor condemndation; it just does.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have tried two of the mentioned programs. Autodesk Quick Cad which I purchased for around $70.00 and Delta Cad which I downloaded the free 45 day trial. I was somewhat disappointed with Quick Cad probably since the instructions were quite vague. I'm not a computer expert. The Delta Cad program was much like Quick Cad only simpler and less expensive. Around $40.00 if you decide to purchase it. I found that their technical help is very prompt. Just go into Deltacad.com and give it a try.
        StephenK

Comment

As some one who uses AutoCAD at work I personally would stay away from QuickCAD. It's no where as user freindly as AutoCAD is. I made the mistake of laying the cash for it.
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I've been using DeltaCad for over a year. As an upgrade to pencil and paper, it's great. It's not 3D, or even 2.5D, so don't expect great sophistication, but it does dimensions pretty well. I've been able to do whatever I want without a lot of struggle. Better yet, I've seen no true software "bugs" in it, which is remarkable in my experience.

Comment

I also use autoSketch which I paid some where in the neiborhood of $100. What I know about drawing programs ( which is not) this has been an ok program. I have made most of the drawings, of the smaller parts, for my steam boat.
              Charlie
              Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
              http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I've used EasyCAD (2D) and FastCAD (3D), both by Evolution Computing, for over ten years. Prices are reasonable and they are very easy to learn unlike AutoCAD which is very expensive and has a very steep learning curve (I have been struggling with AutoCAD at work for about two years now and still not very good with it). But the very best feature is the support. Evolution has a BB which is constantly monitored by their chief programmer. I have seen many questions answered by the man in a few hours at absolutely no cost. Better yet, when a bug is reported he often will post a revised version of the program for download within a day or two. Occasionally he even adds new features that the guys on the board suggest - in just as fast of a time frame. You just can't get better support than that in today's computer world.

The programs can be downloaded from Evolution's Web site and used free for 30 days: www.fastcad.com . That's 30 days of actual use, not just calendar days. Their main site has links to the BB site.

And no, I do not work for Evolution or receive any compensation from them. I am just a loyal user.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Thanks to all!!!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X