No announcement yet.

Adding a 2k ohm resistor to drop 24v to 5v question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drive inputs are optically insulated so, all you need is to regulate the current to the leds. 2k might be a bit high so I would go for 1500 ohm which by itself, not counting the resistor already in the circuit will limit to 16ma.

One for each control input
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

As I previously suggested, on whatever drive is being used it is often relatively simple to reverse-engineer the first components encountered on the input to determine what is needed if exceeding the recommended input voltage etc.

Comment

Black Forrest, you tried to ask a simple question, but everybody just got confused. Do you know why? You failed to explain yourself, you provided wrong information (you later called the wiring diagram an example) and you are waiting for a good answer. There is no magic here, garbage in - garbage out.

I already told you that I successfully connected a couple of stepper drives and controllers. The principle is the same regardless of the make and model of your hardware. PUL, DIR and ENA inputs are coming to the drive from the controller. Practically every drive I've seen so far is designed to operate on 5V logical inputs. If it is 12V, they recommend adding 1K resistor in series. If it is 24V, they recommend adding 2K resistor in series to limit the current. Usually it is 7-16mA. Every reputable drive manufacturer provides connection diagrams for various types of controllers. You have to look at the Acorn documentation (it is your controller) and determine the voltage of the control outputs it sends to the drives. Then wire the drives accordingly.

I was able to find online manuals for the Leadshine drives (now we know you don't have them) and for the 3HSS2206 drive (you say this is what you have), but not for the Acorn board. Usually ENA signals are of the same voltage as PUL and DIR. Cannot say anything about ALM signals. One of my drive manuals says that if you connect a 5V input signal to a 24V driver terminal, the drive will not work. On the other hand if you connect a 24V signal to a 5V driver terminal, you will damage the drive.

If you are going to post your question on the Centroid forum, at the very least tell them exactly what you have and what you want from them.

Comment

They mean a series resistor. The inpout tolerates 5 Volts input or more likely a current generated with the 5 volts. In order to not to fry the circuit with excessive current one has to have a series resistor in there. The resistor can be on either terminal. + or .-. You can also have two resistors in there which are then each connected to their own terminal. In this case the resistor value should be half of the recommended value.
          Resistors are not generally very sensitive components so even if You are not that experienced with soldering You might pull it through with ease.
          I recommend using axial metal foil resistors with 1 Watt rating. The circuit generates about 0.25 Watts when operating so 0.5 Watt resistor might occasionally get too hot and 0.25 Watt resistor is just too small.

LOL ... I have even made a video about soldering. This one has absolutely NO animations in it 😂

The video is here

Edit: Be very careful to NOT rto connect the terminals the wrong way around. Observe polarity carefully. Since there most likely is an opto isolator, there is also a LED. LED's fry really easily when connected the wrong way around. They tolerate about 5 volts on reverse polarity direction and after that bad things start to happen.
          Last edited by FinnoUgric; 04-26-2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

OK, back on track. If those "inputs that the Alarm and enable connect to" are switches that you can hold on for a few seconds, then an VOM can tell you what the Voltage they provide is.

I did a little searching for the motor controller you showed. I hope that is the actual one you are using. Anyway, I believe it has an internally generated, +5V available on it's terminal boards. IF, and that is a bit "IF", those external controls are just switches, then that +5V from the motor controller would be the way to go. Run it to the switch and the other side of the switch to the + terminal on the input. The - terminal on that input would connect to ground. But do not do this if those external controls provide their own Voltage.

Mikey is correct when he says better information gets better answers. And photos can help. A photo of the connections on that motor controller with the legends clearly legible would be a start. And more on where these control signals are coming from would be great, again with useful photos if possible.

I am sure the Centrod forum can provide some help.

I am sure part of this problem is importers of equipment that do not really understand the customer and his/her problems. They often do not provide even the most rudimentary instructions and that is a shame.

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            You all get easily confused! The picture of the Acorn board is an example of how my drives get wired to the Acorn. My drives take 5v logic signals. What I am not sure of is are the inputs that the Alarm and enable connect to will be putting 24v out to the motor driver. I think I will have to brave the Centroid forum and ask over there what voltage goes from what to where. Wish me luck.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post
              Black Forrest, you tried to ask a simple question, but everybody just got confused. Do you know why? You failed to explain yourself, you provided wrong information (you later called the wiring diagram an example) and you are waiting for a good answer. There is no magic here, garbage in - garbage out.

I already told you that I successfully connected a couple of stepper drives and controllers. The principle is the same regardless of the make and model of your hardware. PUL, DIR and ENA inputs are coming to the drive from the controller. Practically every drive I've seen so far is designed to operate on 5V logical inputs. If it is 12V, they recommend adding 1K resistor in series. If it is 24V, they recommend adding 2K resistor in series to limit the current. Usually it is 7-16mA. Every reputable drive manufacturer provides connection diagrams for various types of controllers. You have to look at the Acorn documentation (it is your controller) and determine the voltage of the control outputs it sends to the drives. Then wire the drives accordingly.

I was able to find online manuals for the Leadshine drives (now we know you don't have them) and for the 3HSS2206 drive (you say this is what you have), but not for the Acorn board. Usually ENA signals are of the same voltage as PUL and DIR. Cannot say anything about ALM signals. One of my drive manuals says that if you connect a 5V input signal to a 24V driver terminal, the drive will not work. On the other hand if you connect a 24V signal to a 5V driver terminal, you will damage the drive.

If you are going to post your question on the Centroid forum, at the very least tell them exactly what you have and what you want from them.
              Mike, Do you see the Smiley after what I wrote about you all getting confused? That means I am making a joke. To be clear I know I am the one confused. I do appreciate your help and yes I was not clear in what I posted. Sorry. I am a little bit slow on these things. Note, no smiley! That means it is true! Thank you for your help.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Mike, Do you see the Smiley after what I wrote about you all getting confused? That means I am making a joke. To be clear I know I am the one confused. I do appreciate your help and yes I was not clear in what I posted. Sorry. I am a little bit slow on these things. Note, no smiley! That means it is true! Thank you for your help.
                Don't worry - we all started from zero knowledge including me. I have read again your posts and would like to make a comment about ALM (alarm) signal. It is not input, but output from the drive. The drive is telling the Acorn board that it is OK (or not). One of my drives has two alarm terminals as well. The output is defined as maximum 30V/100mA. They also say: "The resistance between ALM+ and ALM- is low impedance as default, and will change to high when the drive goes into error protection".

I do not use ALM terminals, but the above phrase tells me that no resistors should be connected to these terminals. If you decide to go to the Centroid forum, show them what you have and ask about alarm connections and possible use of resistors there.

Comment

Working...
                X