Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you still get that "Wow, I did it!" feeling ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still learning a lot at all my various hobbies. So yeah, I get a pretty good feeling with each new project. The ones that don't involve something new are still good and smile worth either due to getting to use them for other things like with making tools or they permit me to enjoy using them in other ways.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      I get that feeling occasionally when I have a good invention, or make a really good piece of production tooling, or a difficult part. The latest one is an improvement for revolvers that makes the double action trigger pull get lighter instead of heavier as you cycle the action. Many individuals, gunsmiths, and gun companies have been trying to figure this out since 1852. The last improvement, which is still the current state of the art, was in 1909. I have filed US and international patents for this. I can't give any more details due to the no selling on the forum rules. This is 18th patent I own or am named on.
      OK, there is no way we can let you get away with tossing out a teaser like that and not sharing at least some details!

As an aside, unless it has be rescinded there was a quiet change to the rules here that allow selling stuff so long as (my interpretation here...) it is not overdone, people are reasonable, act civilized, etc. George B. mentioned that here a while back:

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...83#post1986883

I think as a courtesy I would verify that with Mr. Bulliss before I did any sale posting however.

Comment

In my case, it is almost as often a "dang, I got away with it", as a "wow, it's done and it works".

I'm not a machinist, and I know it. So I do often feel more as if I got away with it.

Part of that may be that I tend to try stuff I have never done before. I figure it has to get done, and I'm the guy with the tools, so I have at it. I know perfectly well that I am often "in" past what my experience level justifies.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 04-26-2022, 10:49 PM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Yes, with CNC. Not just the part, but the CAD/CAM, tuning the motion control, etc.

Comment

I got that feeling just the other day when I solved a problem on a machine for the farm. It had a roller that was mounted with a normal 12 diameter bolt with a couple of washers. When I had it apart I thought this would be much better if a shoulder bolt was used to mount the roller. So off to the lathe I go. Grabbed a length of 22mm hex stock off the shelf and made a shoulder bolt with 50mm deep 17.5mm diameter shoulder and then a 12mm threaded section. Bored out a big washer to 18mm to slide over the 17.5 mm shoulder. Then turned a new roller out of some plastic with a 18mm bore and outside diameter of 50mm. I got a real good feeling that I had improved the design and the making of the improvements went quickly and smoothly almost as if I knew what I was doing and it was just a matter of fact thing. Even my wife thought it was cool that I just "threw it together" in a few minutes and made such a big improvement in the machine. It was on my manure spreader for the big chain that runs the beater bars.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The manure spreader must always be in good working condition case any biker wonders of is bike lane
              Helder Ferreira
              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I give myself a "good job" pat on the back so many times a day
                that my arm begins to hurt from repeat motion !

-D
                DZER

Comment

Yes, I still have that same feeling after accomplishing something good. This is probably the main reason I fix broken things and make new staff. Here is one example.

A few years ago our guys at work were struggling with damaged bearings on the screw compressor shafts. The shaft had no provisions for bearing race removal, so the perfectly good shaft had to be scrapped. We are talking about industrial machines here and the cost of parts was significant. At the time we had a simple fixture from SKF (aluminum slotted ring and a couple of handles), which you supposed to heat in an oven and then put it over the bearing race to let it expand and make it removable. Unfortunately the fixture was too stiff, did not make a good contact with the bearing race and simply did not work.

I thought I knew how to make it better. I made a new ring with much deeper slots to make it very flexible and with proper ID diameter to fit on the bearing race. But most importantly I decided to try a heat transfer paste on the bearing race to make heat transfer faster. The next day I put the fixture in an oven and was waiting for it to get to around 400 deg. F. A bunch of people gathered around to witness my failure. What do these engineers (meaning me) know anyway. Well, I put heavy gloves, took a fixture from the oven, put it on the bearing race and 2 seconds later removed the fixture with the race in it. You should have seen their faces! That day they learned something new. The key to success was the speed of the heat transfer - if you are slow, the heat goes into the shaft and you will never separate the race from it.

Every little success makes me happy. Maybe fixing things is my purpose in life?

Comment

It happens less for me as I get older....I make up for by constantly challenging myself by adding even more complexity to the stuff I make (mostly fishing reels). I think if I didn't challenge myself I'd loose interest. My most pleasing thing at the moment is a working Tourbillion that gets tucked inside the backplate of a fishing reel, for no other reason then it looks cool....LOL! It's far from complete yet though.
                    Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RSG View Post
                      My most pleasing thing at the moment is a working Tourbillion that gets tucked inside the backplate of a fishing reel, for no other reason then it looks cool....LOL! It's far from complete yet though.
                      Damn! Now I have to go find out what a tourbillion is.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I’ve had a lot satisfaction of matting numerous pieces of mechanical bits&pieces together that were never intended to be used that way.I lost count how many times I was told You can’t do that or it won’t work,not everything turns out but most times it does.Being self employed on the Farm without WCB or OHS looking over my shoulder gives me those opportunities.Making multiple pieces or parts is not my thing,still do it when needed but one off stuff is more enjoyable for me.🤓
                        Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 04-27-2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I looked up tpurbillion. It must be for catching fancy fish. Way out of my price range. I will stick with a cane pole.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post

OK, there is no way we can let you get away with tossing out a teaser like that and not sharing at least some details!

As an aside, unless it has be rescinded there was a quiet change to the rules here that allow selling stuff so long as (my interpretation here...) it is not overdone, people are reasonable, act civilized, etc. George B. mentioned that here a while back:

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...83#post1986883

I think as a courtesy I would verify that with Mr. Bulliss before I did any sale posting however.
                            George said I could mention a couple of projects, but I want to keep it low key so as not to take advantage of his generosity. If anyone wants more info, you can PM me.

My main hobby is shooting pistol matches. I have been doing that continuously since 1979, and building my own custom guns to shoot with since the early 80s. I shoot all S&W revolvers. Most of the other people are shooting some kind of semi-auto. Revolvers take more skill to shoot well, but I like the challenge.

The S&W hammer project is on RevUpAction.com website. I had to invent and build a special trigger pull gage to show how it works through the entire range. A normal trigger pull gage only gives you the heaviest pull. There are videos of this on the home page of the website.

Another one is the ProtocallDesign.com website. It has special equipment for shooting the Bianchi Cup pistol match, which is considered the Super Bowl of pistol shooting. I invented and make all the products for that, plus a range of fiber optic front and rear sights. I have been selling this line of products at the Bianchi Cup and through the website since 1995.
                            Kansas City area

Comment

George said I could mention a couple of projects, but I want to keep it low key so as not to take advantage of his generosity. If anyone wants more info, you can PM me.

My main hobby is shooting pistol matches. I have been doing that continuously since 1979, and building my own custom guns to shoot with since the early 80s. I shoot all S&W revolvers. Most of the other people are shooting some kind of semi-auto. Revolvers take more skill to shoot well, but I like the challenge.

The S&W hammer project is on RevUpAction.com website. I had to invent and build a special trigger pull gage to show how it works through the entire range. A normal trigger pull gage only gives you the heaviest pull. There are videos of this on the home page of the website.

Another one is the ProtocallDesign.com website. It has special equipment for shooting the Bianchi Cup pistol match, which is considered the Super Bowl of pistol shooting. I invented and make all the products for that, plus a range of fiber optic front and rear sights. I have been selling this line of products at the Bianchi Cup and through the website since 1995.
                              Thanks, I'll look that stuff up. I was a long time competitive pistol shooter. I have not done any in a while but hope to get back to doing some again. Nothing serious mind you, but a great sport. Sounds fascinating!

Comment

Toolguy I had a distant cousin that was a Master Gunsmith(not sure on that terminology)that in the 40’s made a semi automatic pistol that fit in the small matchbox’s of the day,built bullets less than 1/4” long including brass.He was in competitive target shooting with pistols he made from scratch,some how the overall length of pistol was all barrel nearly.

Comment

Working...
                                X