Shipping to Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping to Canada?

I just sold something on e-bay yesterday that was bought by someone from Canada. I've read on here that some don't like shipping there because of hassles getting the stuff in, so is there anything particular I need to do to make sure it gets through customs ok and arrives safely with the buyer?

This is shipping from the UK btw.

Peter

I assume it's going via the mail. All you need is a customs declaration. Since our wonderful government decided to contract out customs inspections, it's added weeks to package delivery, but we eventually do get it. The package service like UPS, Fedex and the like are nothing but a collossal PITA on this end.

Comment

shipping

UPS & FEDX add $30.00 to $48.00 Brokerage fee to the tax we have to pay where as US Mail only adds $5.00.

Comment

UPS worldwide express and UPS worldwide expedited both waive the brokerage fees at the border. This is almost always cheaper and you ge the package sooner. I've always had good luck being on the receiving end of UPS worldwide express deliveries in Canada.

Sending stuff via the the post office is often the cheapest way however incredibly slow. The inspections for duties owed are usually fair/correct as is the tax. I've had bad experience with fedex's brokerage agents classifying stuff wrong adding sometimes 100's in extra taxes.

My 2 cents on shipping to Canada, written by a Canadian.

Comment

For shipping from the UK Royal Mail is the best bet. Make sure you note the contents on the customs declaration as used if that is the case and identify the items as something a non-machinist can understand. Instead of listing it as "4-flute end mills" or similar list it as "used machine parts". When shipped as mail there are various express options that aren't too bad if the weight isn't much.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. I've e-mailed the buyer to suggest that I will use Royal Mail providing I can get the overall weight under 2KG. The item itself is 1.7KG so that leaves just 300gm for packaging to make sure its not damaged in transit, and the Airmail rate is the most reasonable of all.

The Royal Mail also provide a downloadable CN22 & CN23 form for Canadian customs, and according to their website having this is a must as items will be returned without it.
            I realise you all probably knew that of course but it was new to me.
            Thanks again

Peter

Comment

As long as you don't run into a cubic size limitation a decent cardboard box and bubble pack should do as the bubble pack weighs very little. Wrap thin transparent mylar tape on all the edges and corners to strengthen it.

Comment

Peter:
                As a long time user of ebay and a Canuck I request everthing be shipped parcel post. The post office here allows up to 30kg so I'm not sure why you would be restricted to 2kg. Price wise it is the cheapest. By the way, do you know why UPS trucks are painted brown? It's the color of BS and that is what they try to feed us with there excessive charges every time they deliver across a boarder . First hand experience, and not BS.

Comment

Gunsmith, 2Kg is the limit for sending airmail small packets via Royal mail. Over this weight it has to go via their 'ParcelForce' service (or use a diffeent courier service) which then practically doubles the cost at minimum, or alternatively can take up to 6/7 weeks sending it economy surface mail.

I was just trying to find the best cost/time option for the buyer. An interesting snippet from this sale is that is being shipped to a place called Asbestos. I had to look this up to see if it was real as I didnt believe a town would be called that

Peter

Comment

I had to look this up to see if it was real as I didnt believe a town would be called that
                    Heh. Near here in the local area are the villages of Dog Creek, Horsefly, Likely, Kleena Kleene, Australian, Riske Creek and Soda Creek. We also have in BC Cumming Point, Woody Point, Point No Point, Day Point, Friendly Cove, Poison Cove, Deep Cove and of course there is always Spuzzum.

Comment

Went to place a $500 order with a firm in the US this week, they told us they would only ship UPS. I said that if they wouldn't ship another way, to cancel the order. Ended up cancelling the order, I think they're still scratching their heads as to why. I tried to explain to them that UPS charges us exhorbitant brokerage fees, but sending it via mail works well. They decided they couldn't ship another way, so I cancelled the order.

Whatever happened to free trade?

Mark

Comment

Ask them to pre clear it and pay the clearing fee and then you will accept UPS. UPS will do that and if they have a standing quote with UPS they will get a better rate. Ask them to swallow the extra or send it mail. They may get the idea.

Comment

I have a feeling that with this particular place that would still be an issue. They had to check with a manager to see if they could send it post instead of UPS.....I have serious doubts they would even know what 'pre clear' means. (Though I have to admit, I had to read it through before I figured it out.) I didn't know that you could do that though....will have to try it with a couple places that I deal with from time to time.

Mark

Comment

How do you deal with UPS or any of the others when you have no street address? None of them will ship to a farm address (land description) Every time I've ever had people ship that way, it invariably ends up at the POST OFFICE in town after a 3-4 MONTH wait. Why not just use the mail in the first place?

UPS......how's 400% of the item's value as a brokerage fee grab ya, on a part that is duty free to start with!

Comment

it boggles the mind how between the worlds two largest trading partners, who are also two of the worlds most advanced nations (from a trade and commerce viewpoint) AND free enterprise countries where entities spring into existence to address even the smallest and silliest of needs, why this cross border problem exists. unbelievable.

on the other hand, digikey (us based), with literally 100'000's of sku's, manages to take my order at 4:00 pm. pick onesies and twosies and have it on my door step the next day (toronto), at very completitive, shipping and clearance charges, included. The even have a huge cdn$ catalogue. I know they send a plane to winnipeg every day, and likely have something on the ground (they don't have a stocking warehouse though, at best a cross dock), but it is amazing service. If some of the large industrial suppliers realized there is a market the size of CA that is not serviced well and replicated this model it would be great for all concerned (except the sleeping cdn industrial supply industry)
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X