Need a new motor for South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    ... I converted a single phase machine to 3 phase, and put in an RPC.... because it was a lot better as 3 phase. .
    Mind blown.
    But everyone makes the (their) world go round.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

What evidence of stress and wear did you observe?
      Bent motor brackets. My 10K has the motor under the lathe headstock in the cabinet. Perhaps I should have taken some photos, but I didn't. It was just obvious that the sudden start of the relay-controlled motor arrangement was hard on the mechanism. Anyway, the soft start/stop imposed by the VFD is obvious on the lathe and on the Bridgeport. Ah, and the speed control using the VFD means that I don't have to change the step pullies as much on either the 10K or the Bridgeport. (Both are step-pully machines.) Anyway, IMHO the usefulness of the VFD and 3-phase motor is well worth the extra $$. Does anyone run a Bridgeport on a single phase motor? My South Bend 9C had a single phase motor, but the Bridgeport and the 10K both have 3-phase)
      -Mark

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Mind blown.
        But everyone makes the (their) world go round.

-D
        No reason to have your mind blown.... I knew I wanted more 3 phase machines, and it was an easy cheap way to do it. Arco RPC, for maybe a hundred bucks from a guy who replaced it with a bigger one, motor from Surplus Center $50, and all done.

If I ever decide I really need variable speed, I will put a VFD on that machine. So far it is not worth the work, so I have not.
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Those wiring diagrams are way over my head right now.

Comment

The closer I looked at that home-made circuit, the worse it looked.

Once a single phase induction motor gets up to speed, it might be able to run without the auxiliary winding, although probably at much reduced torque. And it would need a spin to get started.

Capacitor start and capacitor run (PSC) motors depend on having a specific frequency and voltage to operate properly, although a range of perhaps 45-65 Hz might work. With a proper V/Hz VFD, a wider range should be possible, but the fixed capacitor size is a problem. It should be possible to program a custom designed VFD to provide the appropriate voltage and phase shift for the third winding over a range of frequencies.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Maybe I've been away from motors / controllers too long - I was thinking someone might consider recommending a permanent magnet DC motor and drive as a (slightly) less complicated way for the the OP to get continuously variable speed control and dead simple reversing.

Before passing them to me, my father converted an SB 9, a Logan 9, a small vertical mill and 2 sizes of bench-top drill press all to DC motor/drive. For a not too capable/experienced hobbyist like myself, the continuous variability saves all kinds of crashes and disasters.

A cursory search suggests places like Nebraska Surplus (and others) have fractional hp DC motors and drives for prices not too different from 3 phase. Still have to do a bit of moving belts from pulley to pulley if the required RPMs are significantly spaced - such moving from a 3" hole saw in the drill press to a 1/32 drill - but the middle ranges do most things for me, most of the time.

Is DC out of favour for some reason I am overlooking?

Comment

Working...
              X