Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for storing acrylic solvent cement so it won't evaporate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noitoen
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Mentioned upthread, but some of us have spouses that might object to the smell!
    That can be ans excuse to have a shop fridge that can be stocked with beer another volatile substance

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post

You can also keep them in the fridge which slows down the loss of the volatiles and makes them last longer. Some adhesives require it for longer term storage, mostly the ones with expiration dates.
    Mentioned upthread, but some of us have spouses that might object to the smell!

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Yeah. Took me a second, but I did learn. Only buy what you need (pricey) for the job at hand with any adhesives.

Could be tub caulk, window caulk. Silicon tubes for windows. Latex? Fast acting glue like super glue. They all have a very short shelf life.

These days I buy (too expensive) adhesives as I need them for the job. JR
    You can also keep them in the fridge which slows down the loss of the volatiles and makes them last longer. Some adhesives require it for longer term storage, mostly the ones with expiration dates.

Leave a comment:

• Seafarer
    replied
    This works for me. I do a couple turns of electrical tape around the glass jar lid for long term storage. Had some of this stuff last for years! Also keep it in the house where the temperature is stable instead of the shop where it's up and down daily/nightly.
    Seafarer
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• RancherBill
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    .... 6063 ....
    That doesn't dry out as I remember, and as a result you don't have to worry about evaporation.

Leave a comment:

• Georgineer
    replied
    Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
    I used to have our chemists make a solution for melting plexiglas and lexan together and as I recall they mixed 10% methyl chloride and 90% acetone or possibly the other way around. They gave it to me in a glass bottle with a ground glass stopper and that kept it pretty well contained but it still would evaporate some over the years.
    This is getting close to the real answer. A pharmacist friend of Dad's gave him the tip to use a bottle with a ground-glass stopper and smear it with soft soap when sealing it. This was for storing chloroform, which Dad used for welding acryic. Chloroform is a very close relative of dichloromethane (it's actually trichloromethane). It was very effective.

Mind you, I don't know where you would get the real soft soap these days, or whether the modern replacements would be as effective.

George

Leave a comment:

• mtraven
    replied
    full disclosure--i didn't read the rest of the thread.

but I repack stuff like that into syringes. started doing that with PVC cement years ago after many many dried out cans. and as a side note, PVC cement will make a good mechanical weld in acrylic, though it wont look as nice.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I've never heard of the stuff before.......... "SCIGRIP 3* is a water-thin, non-flammable cement formulated to quickly develop high strength, clear bonds to many thermoplastic substrates, particularly acrylic"

Being non flammable ??? isn't methylene chloride flammable ?? Lasting a couple years in a can isn't bad. I have lacquer thinner in factory steel cans stored longer than that and I haven't notices any evaporation.

Does it strip paint ??? If so I need some. That's the main ingredient they removed from stripper that made it worthless.

JL...........
    Not flammable according the can. Methylene chloride will run you $77 gal from McMaster, but if you're in CA, CO, CT, DE, MD, NH, NY, RI, UT you're SOL.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    I've never heard of the stuff before.......... "SCIGRIP 3* is a water-thin, non-flammable cement formulated to quickly develop high strength, clear bonds to many thermoplastic substrates, particularly acrylic"

Being non flammable ??? isn't methylene chloride flammable ?? Lasting a couple years in a can isn't bad. I have lacquer thinner in factory steel cans stored longer than that and I haven't notices any evaporation.

Does it strip paint ??? If so I need some. That's the main ingredient they removed from stripper that made it worthless.

JL...........

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Seems it's more about the seal than anything. I don't recall ever having a pressure release when opening the bottle- but perhaps that was because the seal was not up to the job. As far as the cans, anything I bought in cans- like acetone- seemed to stay in the can. The seals were a brown kind of disc, never an O-ring. The bottle of methylene chloride was glass, and had a steel cap with a white disc in it. I could make it tight, but it never did seal the contents in.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by RancherBill View Post
    I'd consider grabbing a box of donuts and going to visit some acrylic plastic suppliers or users. Find out how they are doing it or what other products will work in your application.

My solution to the "dry out" problem is to buy the smallest size I can, and not work about the problem. I used to save millions by buying a big size and end up throwing it out.
    I'm sure their solution is to use it before it evaporates! The pint is no more expensive than the 1/4 pint, so it is what it is. In general buying more and having leftover isn't a bad plan if the item isn't perishable. I just pulled a 4x4x1/8 6063 6 footer out of the basement shop joists because I wanted to cut a 4x1.5 U channel from it. It still had the shipping label on it, from 2002!

Leave a comment:

• RancherBill
    replied
    I'd consider grabbing a box of donuts and going to visit some acrylic plastic suppliers or users. Find out how they are doing it or what other products will work in your application.

My solution to the "dry out" problem is to buy the smallest size I can, and not work about the problem. I used to save millions by buying a big size and end up throwing it out.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    I used to have our chemists make a solution for melting plexiglas and lexan together and as I recall they mixed 10% methyl chloride and 90% acetone or possibly the other way around. They gave it to me in a glass bottle with a ground glass stopper and that kept it pretty well contained but it still would evaporate some over the years.

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    Originally posted by 3illmesmart View Post
    You can even get attachments to put the jar under vacuum.
    I've tried to explain to my wife that this is counterproductive. She habitually squeezes some of the air out of soda bottles before capping them. This reduces the air pressure inside, accelerating the escape of CO2 from the soda. Same thing with volatile solvents.

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    I usually have a bottle at the business and also infrequently use it. After finding an empty bottle in the solvent cabinet a few times that I know I put away half full, I started taking the bottle over to my shipping area after I was done with it, tighten the lid on, then I take the plastic wrap(saran wrap) we use to wrap around parts, boxes, etc and I wrap it tightly around the bottle multiple times until it is fully sealed. Havent found an empty bottle since I started doing this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X