solvent dispenser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

The problem with a tight bottle and a dip tube is that it will thermal pump. When it cools it will draw air in through the tube & when it heats it will push the fluid out the tube. If that sounds improbable, let me assure you that I've lost bottles of paint thinner to that.

Now, I drill a hole in the side of the bottle where my finger can close the hole when I want to squeeze fluid out.
    The essential factor in the above is the "dip tube". I keep a number of those long-spouted bottles of oil around the shop. The oil is actually pretty good thin oil, and the flexible spouts are great, reaching in to oil things that are behind, under, etc.

The problem is that the spout is extendible, and can be pushed back to where it is a dip tube. Then the changes of temperature do cause it to act like a thermometer, and push oil out the top. It seems to happen most at or below 3/4 full, where air temperature builds up pressure in the air-filled space.

The cure is to have the dip tube always pulled up out of the oil. That's a nuisance to remember, and makes for a storage problem, but the alternative is oil all over everything.
    4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

That style pump dispenser were used near offset printing presses to dispense type wash for cleaning up ink.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
        That style pump dispenser were used near offset printing presses to dispense type wash for cleaning up ink.
        Yes they were. In some spots. Yes, I worked in a print shop also. A big print shop. Oh well... JR

Comment

I picked up these a few years ago and while they do work well and are Acetone-proof, the Acetone does evaporate after a few days:

https://www.amazon.com/Acetone-Dispe...74&sr=8-1&th=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon Acetone Pump Bottle.png
Views:	56
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1998983

I also have an older version I got at a lab supply house that has a SS cap & mechanism, but it doesn't do any better than these cheap ones. The key is to only use for those solvents/light lubricants that a) aren't super volatile or b) only use for those chemicals that you use every day (like at the nail salons).

Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Working...
          X