No announcement yet.

OT: Anyone on here use Starlink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much jitter is acceptable for a satellite link?

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

My dad got into the beta - he was putting up with 1.5mbs/256kbs (on a good day) dsl. It was a game changer. He has been very happy with it (as have I when I go to the shop )

He probably gets a consistent 80X10 or so - we have seen as high as 200+ though. Now he can stream and watch YouTube without so much buffering - it is instantaneous..

sam

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
        Ping times or Latency, and Packet Loss are industry accepted terms with clear definitions. Jitter I am not used to hearing, does it have a clear definition that industry uses? Both latency and packet loss can make multiplayer games "jitter" but even gamers do not use that term.

Comment

So is jitter. This is what I copied and pasted for you.

Jitter is the variation in time delay between when a signal is transmitted and when it's received over a network connection. Performance of your VoIP and video services during video conferencing will be negatively impacted by jitter the longer the delay, and VoIP jitter can make calls choppy and incoherent - or drop out altogether.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
            I don't know exactly. When I run a speed test on our satellite connection if the jitter is over 30 I get lousy performance.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This is a screen shot from the starlink app From a while ago.. It has changes some - but I don't see 'jitter' as a metric then...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210710-180228.png
Views:	206
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1999119

Comment

BTW - there is no comparison between starlink and geosynchronous orbit internet options.. 50ms vs 600ms...(on good days). (we had hughesnet for a few years) You cannot change the speed of light. Yet anyways...

sam

Comment

A shame the cross country fibre optic has been delayed, probably related to the gas supply uncertainties, especially in Germany at the moment.

Comment

Jitter is generally associated with the data link layer protocols, sometimes it refers to transport protocols. When it's used, it is often a reference to irregular speed of transport for individual packets/frames. Over subscribed data links, router or switch backplanes, buffers, etc will cause retransmission, dropped packets, etc.

An example of jitter causing problems is when you are using the NTP protocol. If you have a lot of jitter you can have problems in determining what the real time should be. That, in turn, can cause some authentication protocols to rule that your security certificates are too old or too new (sometime in the future).

My cable modem has a jitter component in it's trouble shooting page. I don't use that metric for anything.

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Ok, so jitter is the variation of latency, or a measure of inconsistency, I'll buy that. Thanks

Comment

Here's an instance where jitter matters: My local cellular provider (Verizon) added a new tower that served a local outlet mall. The tower was hopelessly overwhelmed. The antenna that points towards my neighborhood delays or drops packets like crazy.

It shows up as jitter, and results in silently dropped packets when you are trying to do things like activating a new cell phone.

Comment

I have home internet with my cell phone company. Bundled it is $40./month. I see they offer the same service in large cities for $25. Unlimited usage and it is fast enough for streaming movies. When I had cable it was $160./mo. I now live where my only other choices are dsl or satellite. I think the future is cell internet because of lower infrastructure cost. Check with your cell company to see what they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by deltap View Post
                            I have home internet with my cell phone company. Bundled it is $40./month. I see they offer the same service in large cities for $25. Unlimited usage and it is fast enough for streaming movies. When I had cable it was $160./mo. I now live where my only other choices are dsl or satellite. I think the future is cell internet because of lower infrastructure cost. Check with your cell company to see what they offer.
                            Our cell phone service where I live is terrible. Impossible to download anything with cell. Calls are 50/50 that they go through. We live in a Valley that blocks most everything except satellite.

Comment

I must upgrade... Still using Astrolink ¿

Comment

My Starlink equipment showed up today. I set in out on the lawn on the stand they provide and ran the cable over the lawn into my office and plugged in the power supply and the router. 10 minutes later I had high speed internet. At first the dish moved into a flat position like a table and after about 5 minutes it tilted and pointed to the satellite. I used the app on my cell phone and set everything up in 2 minutes and low and behold I had high speed internet. We had a pretty hard storm this afternoon and everything was fine. No drop outs and no loss of speed. I updated a bunch of programs on my office computer that I had put off because our internet was so slow. Most times the downloads wouldn't complete. I downloaded a 800MB program update and it took about 30seconds. I know for fiber optic that is not fast but for us here on the farm out in the boonies it was a miracle! Funny thing this afternoon the crew that will install the fiber optic out to us showed up while I was setting up the Starlink. I told them if this works well then I might change my mind especially if they take too long to lay the cable. I might change my mind to let them cross over our property. They looked really nervous.

Comment

Working...
                                X